SBC Sheriff’s Department Chooses Microsoft Office 365 and Windows 8.1 Tablets

HardOCP News

[H] News
The San Bernardino County, Calif., Sheriff’s Department has chosen Microsoft Office 365 to put the department on a single, always-up-to-date technology platform. By taking advantage of Microsoft’s cloud services, the sheriff’s department expects to save money, help ensure compliance with security and privacy regulations from the FBI, and enable mobile workers on the front lines of the geographically largest county in the United States. Once Office 365 is fully implemented, it will provide law enforcement officers and support staff with a secured, compliant way to collaborate with each other across 60 locations. Office 365 can also enable the department to better respond to citizen needs, investigate crimes and carry out administrative tasks, in addition to providing better disaster preparedness and quicker, more informed incident response.

Until it goes down like it did last year for a week and then they implement a bug through automatic upgrades you're forced to be a guinea pig for. :eek: Really though Office 365 isn't that bad (I did hear the pricing can get confusing and costly) I'm just not a fan of business environments to the cloud.

I am amazed they can even do that...

I work for a local county which supports the largest Sheriff dept in the state. They use all sorts of goofy niche software made by small companies that have little to no experience in providing a product that is easy to manage.

We are just finishing up our Win7 deployment, their department was the only one that required 32bit version of Win7. Considering our network has 9k nodes with ~700 pieces of software.

The same was true when I worked in the medical field too..

You aren't required to use the cloud with 365.

I wonder why this keeps getting brought up? It's not even recommended...

Wait, wait, let me get this straight: San Bernardino County is going to purchase an Office365 subscription and Windows 8.1 tablets when the board of supervisors have been found to be a bunch of corrupt people some years ago and the entire county is bankrupt?

What the hell?!

I live in Riverside County nearby, and we've been better off than SBC. However, there are stories of how bankrupt and poor SBC is, and how many of their county leaders have done a lot of wasteful spending in the past several years. How are they affording this?

Back