Oculus Rift Launch Date Officially Confirmed for 2015

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If you are awaiting the release of the Oculus Rift, better start saving those nickels and dimes, the official launch date will be sometime in 2015 depending on the quality and amount of content from the developers according to the official Oculus Rift statement.

Apparently the delay has been largely due to developers. As with all technology worth its salt, it's no good having a shiny bit of kit if there's no decent software to go with it.

No surprise there, probably it will launch at something like CES, GDC, or E3.

Have to get the Facebook plugins, and spyware ready, and get the lawyers working on the new FB Oculus TOS. :(

they need a killer app... and i barely feel any motivation to check facebook on my phone, why the hell would I want to put on some headgear to do the same thing?

Even if I could play BF4 on it... yeah it might be cool for a few days, but it would be a step down from my usual 1440p 96Hz setup.

I hope Notch comes around. Minecraft is really the only game i want to use thin for unless they can increase the res a good bit.

It's not a bad move. Remember that 3d controller .. Novint Falcon(?). That wasn't all that bad of a concept, but it launched with limited support and faded into oblivion.

2015? Call me ignorant but what exactly is taking them so damn long? You've got the hardware needed (the 2nd dev kits are fucking fine!), the money to release it, and SHOULD have the programmers to get the damn software done...I mean Jesus Christ! By the time this thing releases people will have gotten over the damn thing!

Again, maybe it's just ignorance but being someone who has messed around with stuff like this I just don't see what the big hold up is...

It's not a bad move. Remember that 3d controller .. Novint Falcon(?). That wasn't all that bad of a concept, but it launched with limited support and faded into oblivion.

The Novint Falcon was/is pretty awesome. I still have one (though I use it less due to desk space) and when playing a properly made game it's hard not to be impressed with it. Playing Crysis and having gun recoil or weight to objects is pretty killer. Games like Penumbra even have it to where you can feel objects and textures!

Either way, I know support has actually gotten better...they've written new software for it to make it possible to support any game. Main problem in the beginning was that it needed access to the source code for the game they wanted it to work with which was obviously a problem. Oh well...another example of game changing technology that just never made it.

Let's hope the same doesn't happen here with the Oculus.

The Rift won't fail because there are so many people dying for it to come. Assuming they hit their price point and it is even marginally successful in the reviewer's eyes, people will gobble the thing up.

From what I've read, you can play BF4 on it now, just can't move your head separate from the direction of travel because of how DICE made the game. Besides, by the time it comes out I'm sure BF5 will be right around the corner, if not out, and rift support will be coded into it.

As for killer apps....I think Eve Valkyrie has potential as well as being able to play TFC already with DV1. There's a lot of devs already on board and I'm sure the cash injection by Facebook gives it more legitimacy in the eyes of other devs. As many of you know, AAA games take multiple years to make so having a dev kit out since what, 2013, allows devs to gat those games made and ready for around 2015.

Oculus Rift will fail just like the other devices in 2013, Piston, Ouya, Steam box etc. :eek:

This...there's a handful of people that think they want it but they're pretty much bored and looking to be impressed. They'll get bored really fast and there aren't enough of them to make the product viable in the market.

The Rift won't fail because there are so many people dying for it to come. Assuming they hit their price point and it is even marginally successful in the reviewer's eyes, people will gobble the thing up.

From what I've read, you can play BF4 on it now, just can't move your head separate from the direction of travel because of how DICE made the game. Besides, by the time it comes out I'm sure BF5 will be right around the corner, if not out, and rift support will be coded into it.

As for killer apps....I think Eve Valkyrie has potential as well as being able to play TFC already with DV1. There's a lot of devs already on board and I'm sure the cash injection by Facebook gives it more legitimacy in the eyes of other devs. As many of you know, AAA games take multiple years to make so having a dev kit out since what, 2013, allows devs to gat those games made and ready for around 2015.

The Rift will fail because 99% of people don't want to have to wear shit on their heads when gaming. Its the same reason why 3D gaming has an adoption rate of .001% and why 3D TV with glasses has been abandoned People don't want to wear shit on their heads when sitting on their sofa or in their office chair. Even headphones start to get uncomfortable after an hour of gaming. Multiply that by infinity billion with the Rift on your head.

This is another example of people being impressed by technology, but not taking the time to realize that the general population isn't interested. The Rift is cool and has done VR better then anyone previously, but until we get Holodeck type technology where you don't have to wear shit on your head the general population isn't going to buy into it.

Even headphones start to get uncomfortable after an hour of gaming.
I think ya kinda killed your argument with the mention of headphones, proving that people will wear stupid looking shit on their heads. Beats by Dr Dre is a perfect example, that shit is broke as hell but still is makin someone money...

The Rift will fail because 99% of people don't want to have to wear shit on their heads when gaming. Its the same reason why 3D gaming has an adoption rate of .001% and why 3D TV with glasses has been abandoned People don't want to wear shit on their heads when sitting on their sofa or in their office chair. Even headphones start to get uncomfortable after an hour of gaming. Multiply that by infinity billion with the Rift on your head.

This is another example of people being impressed by technology, but not taking the time to realize that the general population isn't interested. The Rift is cool and has done VR better then anyone previously, but until we get Holodeck type technology where you don't have to wear shit on your head the general population isn't going to buy into it.

Nah this is a bad analogy. Thats like saying people wont want to ride roller coasters because sitting in a chair all day is boring. The rift isnt a peripheral that becomes distracting, it IS the attraction. It's like any other activity that requires the use of a tool. Nobody says "man I wish I could play baseball without a bat". The bat is what makes it fun. Well the rift device itself is seen as the toy, so there is no comfort bias against wearing it.

The only problem the rift is going to have is whether or not they have enough intriguing software titles for it, and if those games make proper use of it. Cod and BF4 type games are actually not good rift candidates. Racing/Flight sims general exploratory games are what drive this thing.

I don't think the Rift will fail. Depending on what they can do with it and the game support they can get it will survive. The sim/racing/flight/FPS crowd will make sure that it won't.

I know that being a big time simulator fan (racing and flying) and DayZ/ARMA fan that the Rift would be complete and utter awesome sauce. I think my Eyefinity and TrackIR setup is awesome...top notch stuff. However, being able to actually look around in a complete sphere...up down side to side...and not just slightly left or right WILL be a game changer FOR SURE. If you use head tracking or like racing games, FPS, and other sims how can you NOT want this?

Needs to be a lot of gobbling happening. Remember FB spent $2 billion buying the company. That means they need to recoup that, minimum, for it to be at all a financial success.

So let's even say they make a lot per unit sold, $200. Probably unlikely they can actually make that much profit as it'd drive the price way up, but suppose they can. They still need to move 10 million units to break even on the purchase price, never mind the additional development.

Presuming they make less profit per unit, and that is likely, that number goes up rather sharply.

So realistically this needs to be a device that "everyone" buys to be a success. It needs to sell like TVs or consoles to be a success.

When it was just a kickstarter project, ya then the bar was much lower. However now that a stupid amount of money has been spent a stupid amount of them must be sold to make that back.

It's gonna be more than 2 billion they need to earn back by then since they're paying salaries and wages for employees and soaking up operating expenses as well to keep the lights on. The profit per unit is probably gonna be somewhere around 4-8% margin so they're probably going to need to sell hundreds of millions of devices to recoup the costs and that's really unlikely to happen even if they sell globally. So no, this is just a ruse to keep a small number of people from becoming bad press...a calculated expense Facebook is soaking up so they can aim the new part of their company quietly at something else that will become profitable for them and be announced after everyone forgets that VR existed...again.

LOLOL, the money is not in selling the device, it will be in selling the data they mine with it.

Oculus Rift will fail just like the other devices in 2013, Piston, Ouya, Steam box etc. :eek:

Sounds like a ding dong that's obviously never tried a Rift. I spent an entire weekend with my friend's DK1 Rift playing Borderlands 1, it was jawdropping.

Needs to be a lot of gobbling happening. Remember FB spent $2 billion buying the company. That means they need to recoup that, minimum, for it to be at all a financial success.

:headdesk:

No, Facebook didn't "spend" $2B. You reallly need to read articles instead of just headlines.

Sounds like a ding dong that's obviously never tried a Rift. I spent an entire weekend with my friend's DK1 Rift playing Borderlands 1, it was jawdropping.

Sitting very close to a screen is known to cause a slackened jaw condition. I think here's headgear you can wear to fix that so flying insects don't get inside. :)

Sitting very close to a screen is known to cause a slackened jaw condition. I think here's headgear you can wear to fix that so flying insects don't get inside. :)

Maybe switch to decaf, you're trolling today is a little trying.

Maybe switch to decaf, you're trolling today is a little trying.

Not happy about the Steve/MajorDomo thing, huh? I only noticed it because you said "no offense" and "incredibly naive" in a lot of today's posts.

They could release it now, but it's gonna take a year or so to create all the various ways they're going to fuck you in the ass with the Facebook logins, consent to data mining, and integration of over 2000 hours of advertisements that will be required of you to accept in order to purchase the Rift.

I personally want to play driving games. I'm betting the immersion into the game would be worth it. Not sure about FPS games though. If there's good games for it, you can bet consumers will want to buy this. I for one will.

Now I need to get her a Leia outfit.

Brain_is_broken_by_Frotu.jpg

Back