Whatever Happened To Blu-ray?

HardOCP News

[H] News
A zombie format? True or not, I bet Blu-ray fans are just going to love that remark. :eek:

Did Blu-ray win? Of course! When you see consumers breathlessly counting the days until the next blockbuster comes out on Blu-ray, lining up at video stores and forking over 50 percent more for the Blu-ray version, you know you have a winner! Oh, wait - that's a Sony circa 2008 fever dream.

It will have truly won when movies stop coming in the bluray/dvd combo packs and only when that's before a new format is out.

I tend to agree with him that they should go for sales quantity, and lower the costs of the media. It'd get a lot more sales over DVD. But, they are still pushing DVD sales as it's still bringing in a lot of sales. When those sales start dipping a bit more, Blu prices will drop into the DVD price point and DVD's will fade away. Hopefully, that happens soon.

I still prefer physical media, and Blu-ray is the best I can get right now. No way can I stream anywhere close to that quality over the internet. Streaming is good for TV shows and movies on the smaller screen.

I would like to see Blu adoption rise, but the majority of people are fine with DVD and/or streaming. Some people enjoy buying physical media still. I've found that some people that don't care much about visual or audio quality have Blu-ray because it was the "newer, better" option, and it was on sale at the time.

It's like PC gaming. It's hard to see what the average person enjoys when you're surrounded by other people that enjoy the same thing you do. Like at [H]. We love technology. We find it hard to believe that some people are perfectly content with dialup speeds or don't own a phone or whatever... So, while I see blu-ray as being awesome, others see VHS as still being viable.

I don't remember when I last watched a DVD. For me, there's Netflix and Blu-ray. However I can see why sales lag... Netflix has made things so easy that I only buy my all-time favorite movies and TV series on Blu-ray.

Blu-ray is already at an affordable price point. $5-15 for A LOT of movies, $17-22 for the more popular (or more recent) titles, $15-40 for combo packs. It really wasn't that long ago when a DVD was able to fetch $25-50 at the register.

streaming and HD cable (using the term loosely) happened. I have both a streaming and disk plan with Netflix, so Blu-ray is still alive and kicking for me. I chose it every time it's available. Going back to DVD is as bad as going back to VHS anymore.

Streaming HD content. Do I really have to explain this?

How big of screen? What kind of audio system are you using?

Normally, this is fine. It's fine for most people. When you get into the video/audiophiles, things change. A lot. Large screen, good audio system - Blu-ray. Streaming is just shameful on a good/great setup. Even with a good network connection, it can be mediocre. However, streaming from a local server is fine for most things. :)

I'm still fine with DVDs for anything that isn't an effects-fest. Drama and Comedy movies don't really net much improvment for me from the blu-ray treatment outside of better audio sometimes. There are exceptions for anything of course and I had to get Tombstone on Blu-ray when it came out even though I already owned the DVD.

Streaming is all well and [quality reduced] good [audio has stuttered and now you need to stop and restart for it to work again] but until faster, better, internet service happens (I hate your face comcast) then that shit isn't going to work out very well.

How big of screen?

Anything from a three-inch ancient smartphone to a 110" Samsung 4k motherfucker. Doesn't matter. You can pull it to anything these days.

What kind of audio system are you using?

Who cares? That's a high priority for an infinitesimal smattering of people who have little to no impact on content mediums. The overwhelming majority are using their TV speakers.

Normally, this is fine. It's fine for most people.

And it's the most people that affect which formats succeed. Beta was better than VHS. Minidisc was fucking awesome. Laserdiscs had special features that still haven't been reproduced in DVD and Blu-Ray releases. None of it mattered because people didn't see a big reason to buy. Even today, I'm not stupid enough to take a Blu-Ray to anyone's house, and I'm shocked when they have something that can play it.

I don't remember when I last watched a DVD. For me, there's Netflix and Blu-ray. However I can see why sales lag... Netflix has made things so easy that I only buy my all-time favorite movies and TV series on Blu-ray.

We pick up a DVD from RedBox when the wife wants a particular movie "now" rather than wait for it to hit NetFlix. The only DVD's I buy are from local / indie companies (where I know the people making them and want to support them). I own two Blu-Ray discs, both were given to me... lol. Don't even have Blu-Ray player. With streaming and 49 yo eyes... don't see the need right now.

Plus, I rarely watch a movie / show more than once. Streaming (or a RedBox) is perfect, less clutter as well.

I have yet to get an actual HD stream out of any legit, legal, streaming service.

Was it more than 480p? Then it was HD. Nobody ever defined HD has having to be 1080p, 8k, or anything else. This tech nonsequitur needs to die.

Blu-rays are, for the most part, selling at the same price point now as when DVD was at its peak. I remember when the format wars were going on and spending $40-$50 on a standard Blu-ray. Now they just need to stop packing a DVD and Ultraviolet copy with the damn things to reduce the price even more.

To those preaching HD streaming... Get back to me when I can stream full 1080p content that is encoded at 40 Mbps, in addition to lossless surround audio up to 24.5 Mbps, like a standard Blu-ray allows. With all the throttling and preferential treatment going around, it isn't going to happen unless you have Google Fiber or something similar.

Ok. So, HD Streaming. You need to explain why it would be more beneficial than the physical media in this case. And if you're not using Blu or better on a 110" 4K screen, you're doing it wrong.

I'm not talking about succeeding. I'm talking about HD streaming vs. Blu-ray since you brought it up. If you're paying for the 110" Samsung 4K motherfucker, you're not going to limit yourself to HD streaming. Might as well go VHS...

Anything from a three-inch ancient smartphone to a 110" Samsung 4k motherfucker. Doesn't matter. You can pull it to anything these days.

Who cares? That's a high priority for an infinitesimal smattering of people who have little to no impact on content mediums. The overwhelming majority are using their TV speakers.

And it's the most people that affect which formats succeed. Beta was better than VHS. Minidisc was fucking awesome. Laserdiscs had special features that still haven't been reproduced in DVD and Blu-Ray releases. None of it mattered because people didn't see a big reason to buy. Even today, I'm not stupid enough to take a Blu-Ray to anyone's house, and I'm shocked when they have something that can play it.

Blu-ray has one issue; costs.

It costs more than DVDs and most movies are packaged alongside DVDs. Consumers like things simple AND cheap. Neither of which come to BDs. Also, when asked whether there is a difference between 720p and 1080p, most will not be able to tell the difference. Another thing with the majority of consumers is that they're mostly buying those Walmart discounted HDTVs that are 1366x768 (720p) and probably have no idea that a BD won't work in a DVD player.

Assume most consumers to be technology-deficient.

Another problem with Blu-ray is also costs. The cheapest DVD player can be had at around or below $20. Blu-ray players? The cheapest I've seen so far out of something like Walmart or Best Buy is around $50 to $70 before tax.

Consumers need to be educated on the differences between 720p and 1080p, between DVD and Blu-ray, between a $299 or $399 Vizio that's 720p and a $399 to $499 LG at the same size that's 1080p.

Lastly, Blu-ray commands higher royalties and licensing fees over DVD. These are charged on a per disc AND per player basis for each one produced. These extra costs are transferred to the consumer to foot the bill.

I still enjoy Blu-ray for movies I love and will watch repeatedly. The quality of not only the video but also the sound (not to mention actually having surround sound) is far superior to any HD streaming.

Yes bluray has failed to pick up where dvd left off but dvd is dying also. I blame the built in content protect that f@#ks us legit people sideways while pirates laugh. Broadband was the last nail in the coffin. With stream services gearing up for 4K and no firmware fix to give bluray plays that capability....you better believe the writing is on the wall.

I think I'm like the vast majority of people in that I don't get it. I have a few Blu-rays. The very first one I bought when I got my player was Planet Earth. While I can notice the difference, most all of the time a DVD looks just fine to me. I do the same thing with audio though. Some people rave over FLAC files and I just don't get it. Most MP3's sounds just fine to me, although most audio people will frown on them.

As someone stated before, when they majority don't fall into line it won't receive preferred status. It's basic capitalism. Supply and demand.

Blu-ray is alive and well in my house...nothing beats 1080p video plus Dolby TrueHD/DTS Master Audio

VCR->Dvd was a huge jump in quality and immediately visible. Most people are not going to notice any difference between online low bitrate 720p streaming vs high bitrate 1080p from a BluRay, and they don't have any audio gear (since 99% of them use their tv's) to hear the difference.

So there's really no driver for people to move to BR. If there was a simple way for people to see and hear the difference, they would.

The problem I have with streaming and disc rentals via netflix/redbox are the various deals the movie studios give to cable companies/satellite for pay per view. Most new movies are not available on netflix streaming or disc for 30 days after release.

I'm not to hung up on uber high quality issues via streaming but I better not be paying as much or having to wait another 30 days. That just means I skip more movies till later or never bother with them as I forget about them.

Blu-ray is alive and well in my house...nothing beats 1080p video plus Dolby TrueHD/DTS Master Audio

Agreed. I have a decent home theater setup with about 6k in equipment. Anything other than the above, and I want to cry. No streaming service can serve up those at the correct level.

Anyone who says differently is enjoying their Vizio sound bar with their 7th set from 4 years ago.

I still enjoy Blu-ray for movies I love and will watch repeatedly. The quality of not only the video but also the sound (not to mention actually having surround sound) is far superior to any HD streaming.

Yup, agreed 100%. Most movies I'm OK with streaming, but anything that I truly love gets purchased on BRD. I like the idea of being able to watch my favorites anytime I want in the best quality possible. I do have a decent HT system, so the better quality sound is part of the appeal for me. YMMV.

The majority of people are fine with Netflix streaming The Avengers. There are those that like higher quality that will buy the Blu-ray and enjoy it that way. Neither is wrong. I'd hate to see Mom & Pop with a 32" TV go out and buy a nice new Blu-ray player yet not notice a difference between DVD and VHS... Waste of money.

But, some people see no difference between Skyrim on the Xbox 360 and the PC. Neither is wrong. Why would the console player throw $1000 to play a game if they really don't notice much, if any, difference?

The masses are fine with just watching the movie. Some like the higher quality of Blu-ray. Streaming can't match the quality of BR yet. So, for those that like higher quality, it's not a replacement. Others still like the physical media, even if they don't see much difference between streaming and BR...

Streaming is cheap, and so extremely easy. A lot of new TV's come with it built in. If not, there is Roku, Apple TV, Amazon FireTV, laptops, PC's, Wii, Xbox, PS's that can play Netflix, Hulu and others. It's super accessible. And, most people have internet that can stream it. Easier than going to the store, spending 3x as much to buy a single movie (or about the same for a year old movie - $8.00 or so). That's perfect for most people with a TV and use the internal speakers.

they were way too expensive and hardly available when optical media was still relevant. they are still too expensive. bluray quality is really way better than dvd, but if i pay 7 euros for a dvd and 20 upwards for a bluray, then i might buy a dvd or not buy anything at all feeling i would get the inferior version so i just skip it.

Ok. So, HD Streaming. You need to explain why it would be more beneficial than the physical media in this case. And if you're not using Blu or better on a 110" 4K screen, you're doing it wrong.

I'm not talking about succeeding. I'm talking about HD streaming vs. Blu-ray since you brought it up. If you're paying for the 110" Samsung 4K motherfucker, you're not going to limit yourself to HD streaming. Might as well go VHS...

Well, we are talking about succeeding...hence the article. The reason HD streaming is succeeding and Blu-Ray is not is because you neither have to leave your home to get streaming media, nor wait multiple days for it to be shipped to you. This is a huge advantage. Additionally, the library of streaming content is vastly larger than the Blu-Ray and even DVD library now. It doesn't really matter if a movie is in 1080p if people don't want to watch it.

And lastly, the reason is because very, very few people are either audiophiles or videophiles. Audiophiles and videophiles neither understand this fact, nor do they understand that they have very little power over sales figures.

I'm sorry when did HardOCP become like Gizmodo with posting things just to get a reaction?

Because good upconversion does a good enough job for the masses, including myself. My own blu-ray player upconverts DVDs so well that I can hardly tell which is which by display; and my 5.1 is sufficiently supported by most DVDs.

I don't quite have a 110" 4k TV, but I do have a 60" Panny plasma, and on it, Netflix content listed as being recorded in "Super HD" looks amazing. It may not survive a side by side with the bluray, but under normal viewing circumstances, the difference isn't noticeable to me.

Only problem for me is that far from everything is available in "Super HD"

Back