U.S. Government Warns Against Using IE

HardOCP News

[H] News
Our government, the last place on the planet anyone would want to take tech advice from, is suggesting people use something besides IE. :eek:

US-CERT recommends that users and administrators review Microsoft Security Advisory 2963983 for mitigation actions and workarounds. Those who cannot follow Microsoft's recommendations, such Windows XP users, may consider employing an alternate browser.

I heard the US Government even scans for viruses.

Meanwhile, some of us who work for the government, are still using IE8 at work...

Right hand not talking to the left hand...again.

Must mean the NSA still has undiscovered zero-days in other browsers, otherwise they'd want everyone on IE for easy access. ;)

I think what is possible is this.

NSA: "We've found 150 0-day exploits in Windows. No one else knows about this. We're going to take it to our advantage."
NSA Minion: "Sir Iran found one of our 0-day discovery"
NSA: "Mother of God. Release a PR report and tell Microsoft that we found a vulnerability."

IE. Doesn't that come with training wheels and a safety helmet? Should be enough protection for the dolts that use it. No?

Half of the healthcare and financial websites don't even function properly on anything but IE. Half of those are still using outdated versions of java....

Vulnerability:
A new zero-day vulnerability that resides in all versions of Internet Explorer has been identified. This vulnerability uses Adobe Flash Player in conjunction with Internet Explorer and could potentially allow an attacker to take control of an affected system. Adobe has released security updates to address these vulnerabilities.

Half of the healthcare and financial websites don't even function properly on anything but IE. Half of those are still using outdated versions of java....

mmm, I love me some Java SE 1.6.0 Update 5.
State of the art! :eek:

It's common knowledge that nobody should touch IE, wonder how it took them over a decade to figure it out lol.

I keep hearing about it and the more I hear about it the tighter my tin foil hat gets. I am starting to think Microsoft pissed off somebody in the government. Or I am overthinking it.

Looks like i have a sig update for Cisco IPS on this advisory already.

Then they are now in violation of HIPAA and SEC laws.

Then they are now in violation of HIPAA and SEC laws.

Big surprise! It's the Federal Government so they don't care if they're breaking their own laws. Look at the BLM, IRS, the entire alphabet. It's nothing new.

If this vulnerability had become public knowledge before Heartbleed it would barely be a blip on the radar much less being news worthy. These types of bugs are patched all the time in every browser not just IE.

If this vulnerability had become public knowledge before Heartbleed it would barely be a blip on the radar much less being news worthy. These types of bugs are patched all the time in every browser not just IE.

Also this is the first major vulnerability to come after XP and apparently Microsoft isn't planning to path it, not publically anyway. There are some that still haven't gotten the end of free public support for XP and think that Microsoft should for some reason continue to support something that it said years ago would end this month.

Back