Liquid Metal Used to Reconnect Severed Nerves

HardOCP News

[H] News
I like how these guys make it sound like this stuff is revolutionary. The T1000 did this back in 1991 AND could make blades with his hands.

Chinese biomedical engineers have used liquid metal to transmit electrical signals across the gap in severed sciatic nerves. The work raises the prospect of a new treatment for nerve injuries, they say.

The only safe metal is Tin and its not liquid at body temperature. Other metals are tolerable because they are solid and deteriorate slowly or not at all like stainless steel.

Not sure what they have there really.

I'm pretty sure those nerves are sending a LOT of signals when put into contact with molten metal. ;)

The only safe metal is Tin and its not liquid at body temperature. Other metals are tolerable because they are solid and deteriorate slowly or not at all like stainless steel.

Not sure what they have there really.

They should try Sodium.

This is what happens when they use too much

Clip_atr_of_t-1000_torso.jpg

So what you're saying is this tech is a stepping stone to liquid metal robots that will be run by skynet.

So does this mean the ban on eating mercury laden fish is lifted? Enough toxic fish and one should self heal. right.

So does this mean the ban on eating mercury laden fish is lifted? Enough toxic fish and one should self heal. right.

Definitely! It makes perfect sense... Now what about melamine? :D

Instead of the T1000 this makes me think of the of using a pencil to unlock the clock multiplier on Athlon CPUs.

You sir are a nerd. I'm not sure what that says about me though, as these were the first two things that jumped to mind when I read the title...

The only safe metal is Tin

Apparently incorrect:

Biomedical engineers have been eyeing the liquid metal alloy gallium-indium-selenium for some time (67 percent Ga, 20.5 percent In and 12.5 percent Sn by volume). This material is liquid at body temperature and is thought to be entirely benign.

You sir are a nerd. I'm not sure what that says about me though, as these were the first two things that jumped to mind when I read the title...

Yeah, I know I am but I knew I wouldn't be the only one here who thought of that when reading the story.

Pretty cool.

Although, I was a bit puzzled when I thought I read the title as "liquid metal used to reconnect server nodes."

Back