Netflix is Finally Coming to (some) U.S. Cable Boxes

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The rumors are confirmed: Netflix is coming to a select few cable boxes in the US. Now getting Netflix will be as simple as tuning in to another channel to have access to Netflix content.

Netflix has long been assumed to be the natural enemy of cable providers, because it provides an on-demand alternative to cable's core business.

*tries to think of a single reason I would want this integrated into my cable box*

Can't think of one, especially since I am looking to get rid of the damn thing and be internet only one of these days once realistic options are there.

Wow -- go buy a 50 dollar roku box and get way way wayyyyy more functionality than a Netflix Channel on your cable box. And you'd save an ass-ton more money too.

You could put the hottest movies on cable for free, and I still wouldn't be interested in paying for TV via a cable company.

I pay Time Warner 36 dollars (after tax) a month for a 15mbit pipe... not the best deal, but goodenough for me. They have yet to hassle me about the months when I download 400GB so as long as they keep their mouth shut, I will keep paying them.

When are cable companies going to get it through their thick heads their movie streaming prices are way to high. Netflix is kicking their asses but they still don't get it. I would love to sit in on a board meeting and just rip into those dumb asses.

When are cable companies going to get it through their thick heads their movie streaming prices are way to high. Netflix is kicking their asses but they still don't get it. I would love to sit in on a board meeting and just rip into those dumb asses.

Comcast made 62 billion in 2012... Netflix hasn't topped 1 yet (But is close). Granted comcast owns NBC, Universal etc etc etc.

When their "thick skulls" are no longer topped with helmets made of 1000 dollar bills.

Cable companies and the media companies make a ton of money in the current model. People pay more for shows they don't watch and EVERYONE else gets a cut of that from the media content creators, cable companies and networks that own the rights to the show. Not to mention DVD sales/rentals.

Have you noticed how shows are $3 bucks a pop on Amazon. Seriously if someone is willing to pay $45-50 for a single season of a show something is messed up. Obviously they get enough sales at that number to justify keeping the prices up (probably to keep cable companies happy).

HBO is a good example... They make a ton of money from cable subs, the direct sales of their shows is probably not nearly the amount they get from their partners(or under contract). They aren't stupid, they have done the math. If they offer a $15 a mo HBO GO, with out cable/sat sub, then the the cable/sat companies will want a serious decrease in price as well. The fact Amazon was able to make a deal with them for 3 year old content is HUGE. It means the numbers are changing which is good, but at the same time it is content that isn't worth much anymore, Amazon I bet is paying a butt load of cash for it, the deal is probably a loss leader for them.

I bought a roku for my dad yesterday and it blows. taking it back tomorrow

Too late and really, who wants one of their piece of crap cableboxes anyway? :D

Cable companies will work with Netflix as long as they get a cut. They'll work with them more for an increasingly larger cut.

I bet that cable box will be +10 / month rental.

I bet that cable box will be +10 / month rental.

Only suckers rent -- unless it's a highly specialized situation I can think of SO few reasons to rent anything my life.

Car, housing, cable box.

Surprisingly enough renting "Love" works out to be the most economical thing you can do in the renting category. :D:D

I have time warner cable (just internet no TV bullshit) and I bought my modem off amazon, why the hell would I pay 5 dollars a month when I Know I'm going to keep using it? 10 month break even point? Shorter than the contract period anyway, it's a no brainer.

I am of the opinion that the reason cable companies have (and continue) getting away with what they keep pulling is because the vast majority of people are just too stupid or too lazy to look for alternatives. They want their TV and they want it now.

This is actually a good move for the cable operators. It is likely to prevent many mainstream users from exploring other options like Roku or the Google dongle thing. The main reason people buy those is for Netflix, but once they do, they are exposed to a larger cable free environment.

Back