Research Shows Impact Of Facebook Unfriending

HardOCP News

[H] News
I don't know about you but, after reading about that kid getting all stabby over a Facebook comment, I'd be afraid to unfriend someone now. :eek:

The most common reason for unfriending someone from high school is that the person posted polarizing comments often about religion or politics," said Christopher Sibona, a doctoral student in the Computer Science and Information Systems program at the CU Denver Business School. "The other big reason for unfriending was frequent, uninteresting posts.

that's a thing?

I make it a point to go through my friends list and delete people I dont talk to after 1 year. I think I have 52 friends - and a boat load of that is family it seems. (32 year old regular nerd guy who's been on facebook since year 1)

the fewer friends I have the better I think. (I'd rather have 3 good friends than 100 crappy ones)

that's a thing?

I make it a point to go through my friends list and delete people I dont talk to after 1 year. I think I have 52 friends - and a boat load of that is family it seems. (32 year old regular nerd guy who's been on facebook since year 1)

the fewer friends I have the better I think. (I'd rather have 3 good friends than 100 crappy ones)

I'm not sure you're using [strike=]narcissistic[/s] social media as intended, you're supposed to base your entire self-worth on the size of your friends list...

I was recently shocked to discover that I had like 80 FB friends. I would have guessed it was closer to 20. Time of do some pruning.

I'm not sure you're using [strike=]narcissistic[/s] social media as intended, you're supposed to base your entire self-worth on the size of your friends list...

Bingo. Too many people use Facebook as a gauge of their life's worth. Maybe I thought that way while I was under age 25 (I'm 32) but in most cases it's just a bragfest about people's lives. By the time you hit age 30 you should realize that you should do what makes you happy and not have to justify your social status on Facebook/Twitter/Instagram.

I just like it to see what is going on in the days of other people and share cool things I discover on the Internet and show that not everyone is a jagoff.

Ive got the usual list of close friends and family, but I also keep those few acquaintances who's daily non-sense post makes me chuckle.

Between there goofy posts and "I fucking love science" facebook is good for about 15-20 minutes of time killing a day

I can't stand how people are so hellbent on having as many friends/followers/likes/etc in order to feel important. Some go out of their way to get whole botnets to jack the numbers up.

I'm separated geographically from a lot of my old friends and family. Facebook works for that. I've taken a few people off (push their own political agenda too much and they don't want to debate it at all). The rest of us share pictures of our gardens, our new gun builds/purchases, and then the other political news stuff (share news stories, etc.). Then, of course, the cute/funny animal posts. Can't get mad at those.

I have another group of friends that are people I've never met, but have a common interest (Microsoft), and we talk and share news about what's going on with that. I'm meeting a lot of them in November of this year in Seattle, though. It'll be nice to finally talk face to face with them.

I can't stand how people are so hellbent on having as many friends/followers/likes/etc in order to feel important. Some go out of their way to get whole botnets to jack the numbers up.

You can get famous, get your own show, just because you are a friend whore - Tila Tiquila. She spammed the friends request to anyone/everyone and got her own show, then faded back into obscurity. Just be a whore and share some whorey pictures, and most guys will accept the request...

A little over a month ago I trimmed my list of friends to mainly only family.

Before that I had most of my co-workers and a large number of people I went to school with.
Upon removing all co-workers it was amazing at the way I was received at work. People who I used to go to lunch with no longer wanted to talk to me. People I used to work out with after lunch no longer wanted to work out. Both of those groups (which granted sometimes overlapped) also quit coming by just to chitchat about whatever.

It's like they took offense to me removing them. Of course I haven't went out of my way to correct the thought processes of those got all bent out of shape. If they want to get bent out of shape over something that minor (and in my opinion...stupid), then I really don't care to associate with them anyway.

that's a thing?

Heh, I do the same thing, except I have less than 7 people added as my Facebook 'Friends'. I have almost 60 friend requests queued up. :D

No Facebook, no problems unfriending people, no crushed self worth because someone unfriended you. Problem solved.

I think this is good social feedback.

If you're a nutjob who feels every internet article is an opportunity for you to advocate this or that political viewpoint (mostly about Obama), and you are unfriended by everyone, and nobody wants to comment on your posts, then hopefully you start to get the message.

But i guess it can also go the other way. You get unfriended by all the normal people, but get friended by all the other nutjobs, which further reinforces nutjob behavior.

In conclusion, society is complicated.

I have no FB or Twitter accounts. A couple of Forums is all I do and all I will ever do. Only on this forum, with you guys, have I opened up about myself at all. Don't feel too privileged tho, I'm an inveterate liar :D

A little over a month ago I trimmed my list of friends to mainly only family.

Before that I had most of my co-workers and a large number of people I went to school with.
Upon removing all co-workers it was amazing at the way I was received at work. People who I used to go to lunch with no longer wanted to talk to me. People I used to work out with after lunch no longer wanted to work out. Both of those groups (which granted sometimes overlapped) also quit coming by just to chitchat about whatever.

It's like they took offense to me removing them. Of course I haven't went out of my way to correct the thought processes of those got all bent out of shape. If they want to get bent out of shape over something that minor (and in my opinion...stupid), then I really don't care to associate with them anyway.
Now you know who your real friends are: family.

You can get famous, get your own show, just because you are a friend whore - Tila Tiquila. She spammed the friends request to anyone/everyone and got her own show, then faded back into obscurity. Just be a whore and share some whorey pictures, and most guys will accept the request...

She did it when this whole thing was new. I'm not sure she'd have the same success today if she followed the same recipe she did about a decade ago.

Back