Researchers Developed A Laser That Can Make It Rain

HardOCP News

[H] News
This would be pretty damn impressive if they can actually get it to create rainstorms on demand. Is there anything lasers can't do?

Researchers have developed a new technique to cause rain and lighting by firing a laser at clouds. The technique uses a 'double laser' to stimulate particles within a cloud. The technique could one day be used to create rainstorms and even lighting on command, the researchers hope.

Storm isn't really a mutant, she's just a fake that uses lasers!!!

Great, now weather is in human control. What could possibly go wrong. :rolleyes:

Give me a powerful laser with one of those DLP TV disco balls that can keep my car dry by vaporizing the rain, then I'll be impressed.

giphy.gif

Anyone see the movie Storm Watch aka Code Hunter? It will eventually be a documentary because of this technology.

Wipe out your enemy with a laser generated hurricane! :eek: They couldn't even point the finger at anyone other than Earth. Why do I have a feeling this will backfire big time if it does work?

So fire off a laser to make it rain in an area that normally doesn't have much water, meanwhile that cloud that normally would go elsewhere and eventually rain causes that other area to go high and dry. Yeah this won't be abused at all...

So fire off a laser to make it rain in an area that normally doesn't have much water, meanwhile that cloud that normally would go elsewhere and eventually rain causes that other area to go high and dry. Yeah this won't be abused at all...

You just watch, there will be a drought in parts of Africa that normally get rain and people will be screaming that the US Government did it just like how they think the government made AIDS....

My thoughts exactly.

And I bet the "climate change" and global warming" people will be all for it.

*tinfoil hat*

this in no way will be used by any government that can afford it for means of guerrilla warfare. Manipulation of weather as a factor of strategy. :rolleyes:

Wipe out your enemy with a laser generated hurricane! :eek: They couldn't even point the finger at anyone other than Earth. Why do I have a feeling this will backfire big time if it does work?

Wait, isn't that what HAARP is already doing?

In the meantime, ship a bunch of those lasers to California please.

Water vapor traps more heat than CO2 does. We can shoot down clouds to make the planet cooler.

And after you generate that rain using the double laser, you'll be treated to a double rainbow! :rolleyes:

Great, now weather is in human control. What could possibly go wrong. :rolleyes:

It's been this way for some time now.
The only difference is that now we can do it with lazers, with a 'z'. :D

There have to be clouds first. They probably have to be a specific size and density too. So, basically they might be able to nudge rain out of a rain cloud. Not make it rain any amount, anywhere.

Also, the article suggests the researchers are a few thousand feet from making anything happen at all. Under any conditions.

It's far more interesting that they're using high powered lasers pointed up at the sky. It might be possible to blind aircraft or satellites. And they can generate lightning strikes and blow themselves up, if they can get the range they need.

ABSTRACT: Plasma channels produced in air through femtosecond laser filamentation hold great promise for a number of applications, including remote sensing, attosecond physics and spectroscopy, channelling microwaves and lightning protection. In such settings, extended filaments are desirable, yet their longitudinal span is limited by dissipative processes. Although various techniques aiming to prolong this process have been explored, the substantial extension of optical filaments remains a challenge. Here, we experimentally demonstrate that the natural range of a plasma column can be enhanced by at least an order of magnitude when the filament is prudently accompanied by an auxiliary beam. In this arrangement, the secondary low-intensity ‘dressing’ beam propagates linearly and acts as a distributed energy reservoir, continuously refuelling the optical filament. Our approach offers an efficient and viable route towards the generation of extended light strings in air without inducing premature wave collapse or an undesirable beam break-up into multiple filaments.

The paper more or less states "could". DailyMail (and the rest of the media) sensationalizing hypothesis for page views once again. The crazies often go for ionospheric HF pump facilities for how the government controls weather (HAARP conspiracies et al), I am surprised that isn't more touched on in media coverage, after all, that too would get attention!

Water vapor traps more heat than CO2 does. We can shoot down clouds to make the planet cooler.
Yes but clouds are also reflective and raise the overall albedo of the planet so we don't get the thermal radiation in the first place! Damned if you do...

Back