Blockbuster Game 'Destiny' is 'Close to Shipping'

I know right because Bungie has had such a bad track record of producing bad games, and they haven't had some of the highest selling games ever or anything.

It's the first non-Halo game they've worked on since 2001. I'd be a bit nervous too since they don't exactly have something to copy and improve on instead of starting from scratch again.

It's the first non-Halo game they've worked on since 2001. I'd be a bit nervous too since they don't exactly have something to copy and improve on instead of starting from scratch again.

What do you mean Bungie the creator of Halo has nothing to copy and improve on? Sarcasm?

Not at all. I mean that it's much harder to start from scratch with an idea. The differences in all the Halo games is obvious for anyone who's played them, but there's a huge difference between a new creation and improving or expanding. Since the first Halo came out, and correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think they've done a single non-Halo title. Over 13 years is a very long time to be working on a series (and there's nothing wrong with that), but just because they essentially worked on and improved the same game for 13 years doesn't mean they can create a successful new title. 7 years is a long time to be working on something, even as a generally side project half the time. Such a long development cycle combined with a track record of focusing on a singular series is indicative of a problem.

Not at all. I mean that it's much harder to start from scratch with an idea. The differences in all the Halo games is obvious for anyone who's played them, but there's a huge difference between a new creation and improving or expanding. Since the first Halo came out, and correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think they've done a single non-Halo title. Over 13 years is a very long time to be working on a series (and there's nothing wrong with that), but just because they essentially worked on and improved the same game for 13 years doesn't mean they can create a successful new title. 7 years is a long time to be working on something, even as a generally side project half the time. Such a long development cycle combined with a track record of focusing on a singular series is indicative of a problem.

First off, they have done other games:

Operation: Desert Storm
Minotaur: The Labyrinths of Crete
Pathways into Darkness
Marathon
Marathon 2: Durandal
Marathon Infinity
Myth: The Fallen Lords
Myth II: Soulblighter
Oni - 2001

Nothing stellar, but those are other games.

Also, the first Halo came out in 2001, and the last they did was Reach which came out in 2010. The past 4 years they have been working on Destiny. Games take longer to make now, especially with what Destiny wants. You don't bang out a quality game in a year.

How is it much harder to start from scratch with an idea? That's literally every game series and every invention in the world. They created Halo from scratch as far as I know, and it took off like wild fire. Why couldn't they do it again? How is working on a successful series indicative of a problem? They rode the cash cow until they decided to move on to a new project. That's what every business does.

Again, you're missing what I said. I said 13 years is a long time to tweak one series. Also, if you don't think Marathon or Myth were stellar....:p And yes, games DO take longer to make nowadays, but 7 years is excessively long (even though like all projects in it's infancy it probably didn't have a lot of folks working on it until the previous big release). Cut that in half, and I'd agree a little more. Your "You don't bang out a quality game in a year" comment is unfounded. They're approaching Valve and Blizzard levels of development time, but they haven't proven that they can create a good game with that kind of culture. They've been popping out SP/Arena MP games for the last 13 years. Also, Valve and Blizzard seem to be the exception to the rule of long development times.

As for how much harder it is to start a series from scratch compared to running with an already created series, it's much harder than you seem to think. This isn't just a jump to a new IP, it's a jump to an entirely different style of game, which again, without having worked on a game of this type (MMO) they haven't really "proven" themselves capable of doing something like it. Granted, it looks like it plays like a mix of Halo and Borderlands, but it's not just a typical FPS either. It's not that they CAN'T do it again, it's that they haven't really done anything different in a long time. Talent can grow stale if it's not constantly being used.

Some of us a just a bit cautious with the way the industry has been working in the last decade, with massive hype for certain projects by well known developers that turned out to be less than stellar. I hope the game succeeds, and that it's awesome, but I'm not placing bets either direction just yet.

It should be nearly done by now. Otherwise when would they do playtesting?

I hope so. I signed up Nov 21st for the beta when I got the code for pre-ordering. I would've signed up earlier but I didn't know Amazon emailed out the beta code without paying for the game until I searched for it in my email.

On;y 7 years, they should should work on beating Duke Nukem Forever's record for being in development :rolleyes:

Hasn't Wildstar been in development for 7-8 years? Maybe I missed it but no one seems to bitch about it with that game. So why is it such a big deal with this game?

I wouldn't say they lost the composer. More like they threw his ass out the door and told him not to come back.

That's loyalty right there...

If really under development for 7 years that would have crossed with halo for a few years. So I could see that being a slight "issue" and holding them back some. So I wouldn't have expected them to have been doing much on the game till the broke lose and handed Halo off to 343.

Personally I am not expecting much from this game. Visually I couldn't help but not see Halo in the designs. Also don't like how much they kept fighting this game being called an MMOFPS. Their reply was always along the line of "this game is not an mmo, it is just a online game with large groups of people playing in the same world doing quest together" which makes the game an mmo. Think they finally broke down and accepted the classification. But still held stong to the fact that the game had no monthly fees itself. Which is reason two why I don't expect much. Game is online only, mmo style gameplay where you complete quest / missions but without them charging people a monthly fee that means your purchase will have to cover the cost of servers and ongoing developement for the game. I am almost expecting the game to go about 6 months then either become stale or them start suddenly charging people for either a monthly fee or just adding in tons of micro transactions for people that want to be able to keep playing the game without being destroyed.

How bout waiting till its released before calling it a blockbuster.

This...

But then..halo got enough hype that it convinced people it was far better than it was..so I suppose if nothing else they are masters of marketing mediocre games targeted at "brogamers".

how is it a Blockbuster when the game has not even released?

I'd love an Oni remake. That was an incredibly fun game, I don't think a game matched it's combat until the recent Batman series, and I still think Oni did it better.

I didn't really care for Halo. Seemed like an average FPS to me. I never really got into it. Destiny looks decent, but it looks a lot like a Halo sequel or something.

I'll probably try it, but I don't have high expectations, either. I already have a couple decent FPS's for the Xbox One.

Me and my friends were all hyped up for this game until they announced the platforms it will be on and saw that pc was not listed. This game would have been perfect on the pc.

Me and my friends were all hyped up for this game until they announced the platforms it will be on and saw that pc was not listed. This game would have been perfect on the pc.
You didn't hear? Bungie didn't make it for the PC because "Nobody wants to use a keyboard and mouse for an FPS" or some such stupidity.

I didn't really care for Halo. Seemed like an average FPS to me. I never really got into it. Destiny looks decent, but it looks a lot like a Halo sequel or something.

I'll probably try it, but I don't have high expectations, either. I already have a couple decent FPS's for the Xbox One.

But you don't have an MMOFPS on the Xbox One though.

I would love to see a remake in a modern FPS engine of the Marathon series.
I enjoyed it, though it was difficult to play on the Macs that were available to play it on for me. ( Mac IIx etc)

Back