Samsung: Steve Jobs' Death 'Best Opportunity To Attack iPhone'

HardOCP News

[H] News
Whether this guy is right or wrong is beside the point, it is never a good thing to have e-mails like this go public in the middle of a trial.

"Unfortunately, Steve Job's [sic] passing has led to a huge wave of press coverage of Apple's and iPhone's 'superiority,' all created by the 'passionate, tireless, perfectionist...' The point here is that there is an unintended benefit for Apple.

Sorry to continue to push this issue, but I have seen this far too long and I know this is our best opportunity to attack iPhone. If there is no consensus on the approach I initially proposed, I will stop pushing, but I would like to better understand our strategy so I can align with that.

Agreed that his comments were better said over the phone and not jotted down on e-mail. But, hey, all is fair in stocks and money. I would have attacked too. :)

To think none of this might have happened if MS had just let Apple fail.

Apple and Samsung might as well just merge and be done with it since they're using each other's patents everywhere.

Apple and Samsung might as well just merge and be done with it since they're using each other's patents everywhere.

Agreed I really can't stand either UI, IOS or cheezwiz whats the difference anymore

I don't see any issue with what he said. They're a business, he likely didn't know Jobs personally, and his logic seems reasonable enough re: Apple's press coverage.

Considering how tired I was of all the Jobs knob slobbing that went on for the weeks after he died, I can only imagine how maddening it must have been being a competitor.

This is all strategic planning. Just because someone died should keep them from attacking a competitor product. The butthurt here is misplaced.

I heard that Samsung will hold the Galaxy Note 4 launch party at Steve Jobs' grave.

I don't see any issue with what he said. They're a business, he likely didn't know Jobs personally, and his logic seems reasonable enough re: Apple's press coverage.

Jobs' reputation, pretty much like all of Apple, is 80% the result of "being at the right place at the right time," with a few things, like MP3 players and smartphones, and 20% the result of brains and so-called "genius"...;) Jobs had some good points, of course, but mostly I think he was more of a legend in his own mind than he was anything else. The idea that he liked to portray himself alongside Einstein and friends as if he miraculously was on their level was sickening, I thought. By all reports, Einstein was the opposite of Jobs: Einstein was humble, meek, and self-effacing, and extremely courteous and thoughtful of other people in most everything he did--and Einstein was, of course, a real genius. Jobs pretty much was just a bad copy on the surface, much like Apple itself has been for so many years.

Jobs was so paranoid about others "stealing" from him because he was constantly stealing ideas from other people himself, and assumed that "everybody" was doing the same thing. I doubt Einstein wasted a single second of his exceptional career worrying over someone "stealing" from him--he was far too busy being the kind of real genius Steve Jobs never was.

Samsung's observation was only sensible: Jobs was a cult figure and when the cult leader dies, so goes his cult appeal. That's just basic common sense. It figures that Apple would try to frame someone in a negative light for having common sense--something Apple has yet to figure out for itself, imo.

I would say it had more to do with needing to counter the press' ridiculous coverage of everything Apple.

"Apple's new headquarter's has all "Push to Open" doors because they're genius! Let's cut to Bob Smith, head of XYC Architecture Consulting for more analysis"

Serious question: Why are we calling this news? This was obvious, and if there would be something wrong with Samsung if they did NOT think this way. ALL companies would think this way. They didn't necessarily all hate Jobs on a human level, though in the case of Jobs specifically it was deserved to hate him on a human level.

I like my Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini... Fuck apple.. nuff said... they can take the iphone and put it somewheres.

Silliest clickbait non-story of the week. Not just this site but all the sites trying to dredge up attention.

Whether this guy is right or wrong is beside the point, it is never a good thing to have e-mails like this go public in the middle of a trial.

I don't see anything wrong with it. The press was saying Jobs was a genius, he was the mastermind of Apple, he made the greatest phone ever and whatever else. The guy was right, it was the perfect time to attack, because people did (and do) believe Jobs was Apple. he died and that means many are willing to believe Apple isn't what it once was.

At least that's what I suspect he was driving at. If this is a jury trial and I was a juror, this email wouldn't make me more or less likely to side with either party. The article doesn't provide context as to why it was put into the record at all.

Smartphones and MP3 players existed before Jobs, Jobs just made everyone think Apple invented them and you were some kind of the elite because you owned one from them.
Jobs wasn't a genius, he saw value in things geniuses thought didn't matter. He could identify something's worth the inventor overlooked, then patented it himself, Jobs was a salesman that could give you a Geo Metro and make you feel like you were driving a Saleen Mustang. He sold concepts and brought together the people capable of making them happen. He was a glory hound that took credit for others' work and effort.
Honestly, if Jobs wasn't good enough buddies with Gates to convince him to bail out Apple (which so many conveniently forget) so he could jump back at the helm we'd all have forgotten who he was.

Smartphones and MP3 players existed before Jobs, Jobs just made everyone think Apple invented them and you were some kind of the elite because you owned one from them.
Jobs wasn't a genius, he saw value in things geniuses thought didn't matter. He could identify something's worth the inventor overlooked, then patented it himself, Jobs was a salesman that could give you a Geo Metro and make you feel like you were driving a Saleen Mustang. He sold concepts and brought together the people capable of making them happen. He was a glory hound that took credit for others' work and effort.
Honestly, if Jobs wasn't good enough buddies with Gates to convince him to bail out Apple (which so many conveniently forget) so he could jump back at the helm we'd all have forgotten who he was.

iPhone was better than the ones that came before it. They were ridiculously expensive (since you couldn't get a subsidized phone), but they were better. It took android several years to catch up and it only took a couple of years of android and Apple to all but kill RIM.

I've watched people who swore by BB, vacillate between BB and early android phones, then try the iPhone for a bit then move back (mostly due to email issues, where Apple is still lacking) and ultimately stick with Apple (for now).

I'm not a fanboy, I'm still not sure what my next phone will be, but Apple definitely has done well. With that said, if they don't knock it out of the park in September, they're in trouble. Aside from LTE and faster cpus, very little has changed on the iPhone in the last few years (unless that extra row of icons rocks your world).

Jobs' reputation, pretty much like all of Apple, is 80% the result of "being at the right place at the right time," with a few things, like MP3 players and smartphones, and 20% the result of brains and so-called "genius"...;) Jobs had some good points, of course, but mostly I think he was more of a legend in his own mind than he was anything else. The idea that he liked to portray himself alongside Einstein and friends as if he miraculously was on their level was sickening, I thought. By all reports, Einstein was the opposite of Jobs: Einstein was humble, meek, and self-effacing, and extremely courteous and thoughtful of other people in most everything he did--and Einstein was, of course, a real genius. Jobs pretty much was just a bad copy on the surface, much like Apple itself has been for so many years.

Jobs was so paranoid about others "stealing" from him because he was constantly stealing ideas from other people himself, and assumed that "everybody" was doing the same thing. I doubt Einstein wasted a single second of his exceptional career worrying over someone "stealing" from him--he was far too busy being the kind of real genius Steve Jobs never was.

Brilliant and dead-on. My dad was in the nascent computer industry alongside Jobs in the 70s and 80s and has some fun stories.

Einstein wasn't in the game to make money.

Early on he was, but his main goal in life was to find advancements for human kind.

He also was man enough to work with other people to make his ideas a reality. It's really hard to compare him to a business man.

Samsung is doing a great job of killing the iphone. I mean the s5 has a heartbeat sensor. The other day I was looking at my iPhone 5s and thought; "gee I wish I could know how many beats per minute my hear works at". It's too bad jobs isn't alive still because he would have put 2 of them on the 5s. :rolleyes:

Einstein wasn't in the game to make money.

Early on he was, but his main goal in life was to find advancements for human kind.

He also was man enough to work with other people to make his ideas a reality. It's really hard to compare him to a business man.

Early on, he didn't have Gestapos threatening his way of life. ;)

I find nothing in that email offensive, but I'm sure there is someone out there who will manage to be offended.

This does bring up an issue pretty much everyone should be aware of. If your company gets sued, lawyers for the other party are going to get to dig through your company's email looking for anything that sounds bad, or that they can at least portray in such a way that it sounds bad.

You have to be careful of what you say and how you say it in company emails or you may find yourself quoted in a large class action suit, and looking for a new job.

Brilliant and dead-on. My dad was in the nascent computer industry alongside Jobs in the 70s and 80s and has some fun stories.
Yeah, my daddy was there in that California garage with Jobs and Woz, too.

Before that, he worked with Neal Armstrong on his moon landing speech.

He also was in the CIA. Actually, we both were; well, I'm still there.

The stories I could share... then I'd have to kill you.

:rolleyes:

Yeah, my daddy was there in that California garage with Jobs and Woz, too.

Before that, he worked with Neal Armstrong on his moon landing speech.

He also was in the CIA. Actually, we both were; well, I'm still there.

The stories I could share... then I'd have to kill you.

:rolleyes:

What is this, 5th grade?

Did we expect anything different from South Korea? Their industry is basically run by powerful corrupt mobster families that also quasi run the country. Maybe if an email surfaced of Samsung ordering a hit on a rival company's CEO I'd act a little surprised, but this is nothing. Those guys are cut-throat!

Good products though, even their fridges! ;)

I find nothing in that email offensive, but I'm sure there is someone out there who will manage to be offended.

This does bring up an issue pretty much everyone should be aware of. If your company gets sued, lawyers for the other party are going to get to dig through your company's email looking for anything that sounds bad, or that they can at least portray in such a way that it sounds bad.

You have to be careful of what you say and how you say it in company emails or you may find yourself quoted in a large class action suit, and looking for a new job.

+1

IAALBIANYL - As the in-house counsel in charge of litigation where I work, my rule of thumb has always been don't put anything in e-mail that you wouldn't like put on a billboard with your name attached.

Many of you think this isn't newsworthy, but entire cases can turn on this kind of thing. Application of facts to law is a hard thing for a jury, especially when it may be a close call. However, if the jury has already decided that they don't like you because of some bad e-mails, it's a lot easier.

+1

IAALBIANYL - As the in-house counsel in charge of litigation where I work, my rule of thumb has always been don't put anything in e-mail that you wouldn't like put on a billboard with your name attached.

Many of you think this isn't newsworthy, but entire cases can turn on this kind of thing. Application of facts to law is a hard thing for a jury, especially when it may be a close call. However, if the jury has already decided that they don't like you because of some bad e-mails, it's a lot easier.

Good post, but I honestly am more curious about what the heck IAALBIANYL stands for?! :confused:

Or just do what everyone else does, pay a cross license fee for the patent being used, and carry on with business.

Jobs was nothing. He was never an innovator, but more of a opportunist. He made one smart move and it paid off. He had the iTunes store all set up and to go, when he paid the right people to crack down on the illegal sites of mp3 downloads. When Napster fell, the arise of apple was here . Nothing more, nothing less. The iPhone craze came, and the dumb people could work a iPhone, so they fell in love with being different, so they called themselves a apple fan. I have always said this, and will say it again. I have told so many people, that apple will fall flat again in fives years, but they all say I'm stupid too, if I believe that. Well, they do have about two years left out of the five, before I am right or stupid one.

Jobs was nothing. He was never an innovator, but more of a opportunist. He made one smart move and it paid off. He had the iTunes store all set up and to go, when he paid the right people to crack down on the illegal sites of mp3 downloads. When Napster fell, the arise of apple was here . Nothing more, nothing less. The iPhone craze came, and the dumb people could work a iPhone, so they fell in love with being different, so they called themselves a apple fan. I have always said this, and will say it again. I have told so many people, that apple will fall flat again in fives years, but they all say I'm stupid too, if I believe that. Well, they do have about two years left out of the five, before I am right or stupid one.

Sounds like Thomas Edison too!

I'm no Apple fan, but the first iPhone was leaps and bounds better than anything that came before it. It wasn't necessarily anything new individually, but in the aggregate and executed as well as it was, it was well done.

I had a "Smart" phone, some ridiculous windows based POS, and even with my bias I was pretty impressed with the iPhone when I first played with a friends.

Back