Dyn to Shut Down No-Cost Dynamic DNS Next Month

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
It’s been a good long 15 year ride, but all good things have to come to an end sooner or later. Those of you who have been depending on the free DNS service from Dyn will finally have to cough up some bucks to continue on their paid service come May 7th. Thanks to forum subscriber Boss99 for the linkage. :cool:

Early in its history, Dyn told its users that anyone who "donated" a small fee would gain access to the DynDNS service "for life." Apparently that promise still holds.

I've been using that service for years... Cheap as I am time to move on... I still like to know how you can have a 20 sec to live domain... Any clues?

They aren't shutting it down, they are only changing who has access to it. I was one of those who donated to EveryDNS years ago before they were acquired, and dyn is still going to be free for me.

hmm well good bye to them I suppose -- duckDNS here I come.

I've used DynDNS in the past (not often) but I really need to take the time anyway to setup all my forwarding and crap on my new router so I can spy on my mining rigs from work :)

What a strange concept -- companies wanting to get paid for providing a service! :p

Well, just remember the old adage that "you get what you pay for" -- I'm sure all the companies that built their entire security infrastructure around OpenSSL are!

I lost my account about a year ago and couldn't get it back with the options I had for free.

I now use the dyndns through Asus.

Been using them for a number of years and $62 for 5 years, I don't mind paying for this service.

FreeDNS (afraid.org) works too -- if you don't mind having .mooo or .afraid as your domain!

I've been using dyndns for almost a decade, been a good service, but not so good I feel like paying for it. I have a couple domains and decided I'd try just putting my FiOS IP directly into the dns and run a little program http://sourceforge.net/projects/ipmonitor/ on the ftp server that alerts me if the IP changes. Since FiOS seldom goes down I think it might work decently. I've setup a couple of my servers with dlinkddns.com which uses dyndns but is still free and hopefully stays that way.

I also purchased Ammyy Admin for remote management to clients, but RDP is preferred for servers. I just wish I could get a copy of Ammyy Router so I wasn't using public routers (they won't sell me a copy unless I have a large company and willing to purchase many copies of the program).

I used them at one point but have not since a few years ago.

Only thing that will be lame is now all my old forum posts will have broken images, even though the webserver that hosts them is still alive and well.

Back