Google Offering Glass To Anyone On April 15h

HardOCP News

[H] News
Google is making Glass "available" to everyone on April 15th. Before you get all excited, just remember, you still have to pay the $1,500 to get them.

Next Tuesday, April 15th at 6am PDT, we’re opening up some spots in the Glass Explorer Program. Any adult in the US* can become an Explorer by visiting our site and purchasing Glass for $1500 + tax – and it now comes with your favorite shade or frame, thanks to feedback from our current Explorers.

They need to make the camera stand out less (hide it). Also make the frames look better and have more options available. Also give the glasses x-ray vision so I can see through walls and implement something on the device so others can't record my face while I'm wearing the glasses.

titties

Why couldn't Google make this like Adam Jensen's glasses in Deus-Ex:HR? The Google Glass unit looks straight up goofy as hell in my opinion.

Because what I really want when I'm running is a camera and mic strapped to my face seeing and hearing me huff and puff, while reminding me of every excruciating second. Or maybe I'm just a shitty runner either way. ;)

I think the whole premise of a HUD is absurd for most people.

This is just like the car GPS navigation craze a few years ago.

"Woot! I got a new GPS for xmas, now I can know exactly where I am, even though I have lived in this city for 5+ years??"

You would think it might have a billion applications but it really doesn't. Doctors and dentists won't use it for sure(because it threatens their status), it will probably never be approved long term for use on roads, and for most competitive sports it will probably never be used either as it can be too much of an unfair advantage.

The only real avenue I can see for this, is for students. And that might take a ton of time and google giving away tons of google glasses to get that program even started.

So in my mind, this will never be more than a toy, because it will never be something practical that adds to people's everyday lives.

I wore glasses for 29 years. It sucks, pinches the bridge of your nose, compresses your temples. Fundamentally they got that wrong in designing this thing. Wearing glasses isn't fun!

That being said, I would buy it for it's golf functions.

Or maybe I'm just a shitty runner either way. ;)

If you're out there running, you're better than most people. You doing something. If I see anyone out running or walking to better themselves, I don't care if they are 100# or 300#, they are damn awesome. No such thing as a shitty runner. I could barely run 50 yards without having to walk because I was tired. Now, I can run a mile. I'm going for 3.1 right now (5K). Keep up the work, it's very rewarding when you can go further without the panting and running out of energy.

As for Google Glass - good concept, less ugly than some other prototypes throughout the years. Good for a initial release.

$1500? Hard pass. <$300, I'd think about it, although I wouldn't have much use for them. They'd be an expensive toy I play with for a month, then sit on a shelf.

Too expensive, and still not as useful as a tablet or smartphone. Maybe someday.

Perfect way to describe how many of us feel it. 1500$ for google glass? Pass.

How many people buy Apple products though? Granted these are not for everyone, but there are quite a few people who buy iPhones when they come (i.e. not discounted with 2 year agreement).

Seems to me like the hype has died down a bit. They waited too long to make this a public sale.

I wouldn't buy it if it was $200. Interesting? Yes. Dropping $1.5K on it? Never.

Last I checked there weren't any apps for the Google Glass that were actually ... um ... useful?

glasshole_zpseb3b33eb.jpg

no way! I spent enough money getting my eyes fixed so i DIDNT have to wear glasses anymore, not spending money so I can again. >,<

That being said, if it was a true hud and provided terminator vision based information, i would buy it.

HUD interaction is the most interesting ability of these devices I think.
It will be perfect for when I go on a FPS IRL, because of all those violent games I have been playing. How else would I keep track of my sticky bombs, armor and health? ;)

I'm feeling slightly inclined towards the line of thinking I would need to be paid to put up with the conspicuous nature of them. Not to mention I feel like Google gets more out of having people wear these than the consumers. Granted, I also felt like the iPad was a stupid waste of money compared to what you could get with a laptop for the same dollars for the first couple years after initial debut. So I may eventually change my tune about Google Glass.

I'd want these to document my sexing...I'll have to get my hands consent to record him though.

I think I just invented the million dollar app for Google Glass. Just putting it out here so that it's time and date stamped.

Select from X number of celebrities, models, etc, and have that face superimposed over whatever ugly guy/girl you happen to be unf'ing at the time.

Back