Noctua Presents NH-D15 Elite-Class Dual Tower CPU Cooler

HardOCP News

[H] News
Noctua today introduced its new flagship-model NH-D15. Built on the basis of the legendary NH-D14 and carrying on its quest for ultimate quiet cooling performance, the NH-D15 is an elite-class dual tower cooler for the highest demands. Noctua's NH-D14 has received more than 350 awards and recommendations from leading international hardware websites and magazines, making it one of the most successful premium heatsinks ever built. With its expanded layout and dual NF-A15 fans, the NH-D15 further improves the D14's much acclaimed quiet cooling performance.

I know their fans are good, but why do they insist on making them so ugly?

I know their fans are good, but why do they insist on making them so ugly?

Distinctive mark maybe... But they also produce now black noctua fans due to high demand.. :) a nice touch... Anyway one can always do so paintjob at least to the fan casing..

Wheres the noise blocker stuff that talked about nearly a year ago. Or is that never going to happen now. I really don't care about anything else they make before then.

Distinctive mark maybe... But they also produce now black noctua fans due to high demand..

Been looking for these to become available... Have yet to see them sellling.

I think the notches for RAM is cool and noise-cancelling seems pointless when the units are essentially silent at 100% fan speed anyway. You can't get blood from a stone. The NF-A15's are quite good and I suspect most of the edge this unit has on the NH-D14 will be because of them.

Distinctive mark maybe... But they also produce now black noctua fans due to high demand.. :) a nice touch... Anyway one can always do so paintjob at least to the fan casing..

I would not paint them: imbalance
http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=faqs&step=2&products_id=12&lng=en#9

I actually asked Noctua about why they used their mocha-colored them on all their fans and you are correct: uniqueness.

While ugly to some, they are immediately recognizable. Personally, I thought they were that color/colour due to being created from recycled plastic and was told otherwise by the rep. It is just their "look".

As for new colors, you can see some here:
http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=news_list&news_id=90

I would not paint them: imbalance
http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=faqs&step=2&products_id=12&lng=en#9

I actually asked Noctua about why they used their mocha-colored them on all their fans and you are correct: uniqueness.

While ugly to some, they are immediately recognizable. Personally, I thought they were that color/colour due to being created from recycled plastic and was told otherwise by the rep. It is just their "look".

As for new colors, you can see some here:
http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=news_list&news_id=90

yes thats why i said the fan "casing" not the blades itself... you can paint the "base" of the fan without affect the balance of the blades and will be much better..

yes thats why i said the fan "casing" not the blades itself... you can paint the "base" of the fan without affect the balance of the blades and will be much better..

I have been using Sharpie markers on Noctua fans for a while now. I see no issues with this method because ink is very light and thin and yet somehow takes very well to Noctua materials. You can even use a cloth to even out the layer of ink on the blades because the ink will only sink into the plastic so much, then it is reasonably easy to wipe off any excess.

The only thing is painting a Noctua fan with Sharpies takes a while and you need good ventilation or you will get a wicked headache.

First review of NH-D15
http://www.modders-inc.com/noctua-nh-d15-dual-tower-cpu-cooler-review/

Very similar performance to PH-TC14PE even though NH-D15 uses 1500rpm 82.52cfm NF-A15 Premium fans compared to first generation PH-TC14PE using 1300rpm 78.1cfm PH-F140TS fans. Current PH-TC14PE coolers come with 1300rpm 88.6cfm PH-F140HP fans. Assuming this review is accurate, with improved PH-F140HP fans now used on PH-TC14PE, it should easily be equal to, maybe even slightly better than NH-D15.

Not enough fins, not enough copper, too much aluminum, not enough heat pipes, not large enough fins, no water cooling integration...

sux! :D

Yeah, really sucks that it doesn't have water cooling integration :p
I wonder.... Hy-bred water & air cooling... Heatpipes built into waterblock with fin pack above that cools at low heat / load levels; when heat reached certain level pump starts and radiators increase cooling.. ;)

I wonder.... Hy-bred water & air cooling... Heatpipes built into waterblock with fin pack above that cools at low heat / load levels; when heat reached certain level pump starts and radiators increase cooling.. ;)
Nice, electricity savings +1 and epeen +1 attribute points. :D

Wonder how long it's gonna take for air coolers to get so big that they bend and nearly snap the MB going in.

Just kidding, of course they're never gonna do anything that stupid, but sometimes I wonder.

Silentmax BigBlock (210 x135 x160mm) is pretty big, and their TwinBlock (210x210x160m) is even bigger. :D

Than there are passive cooling cases like Zalman TNN300, TNN500 TNN500AF, Thermalright HSC-100, HSC-101, HTC-601, mCubed HFX Classic, A-Tech Fabrication 2800HP, Heat-Sync 300, Heat-Sync 7000, STPC-300, as well as HFX and Streacom.

Last edited:
Nice, little late for me though, I just got a pair of Noctua NH-U12DX i4 for my dual 2011 xeon.

Who cares what the heatsink looks like as long as it does a good job keeping the cpu cool and is reliable.

Back