Charge Your Phone In 30 Seconds?

It's bio-organic battery technology and the fact that it's from an Israeli company so confidence is high that it's real. Probably not as simple as buying a new battery and/or charger for existing phone but more likely it has to appear in a new phone down the road.

Yeah and super caps can charge fast as well. Hell there are even other battery chemistry that can be charged are much higher rates. We don't see use of any of these in phones because energy density is too low. Charging in 30 seconds makes no sense if battery will only last 30 seconds. The fact this video makes no mention of energy density, and that battery is fucking massive, means energy density sucks... and thus this is nothing special at all.

Exactly, there are many variables being left out.
How many mAh are being restored per second?

and I have a real time traveling Delorian... 'at 88 mph you're going to see some serious shit'

I'd like them to try that with an octocopter.

I'd like them to try that with an octocopter.
My mind went to similar places where if they can make this work reliably, I half expect to see the military apply this technology to drones so the drones downtime after a return trip if no maintenance is needed could be minutes before its ready to go observe/spy/kill/what-not.

I'm guessing you might have meant more commercial applications.

If it's a typical li-ion then it is fake. With Li-ions you want cc then at the end of the charge cv which is the longest part of the charge.

A123 Had (now bankrupt) some Lifepo4 battery builds that could do that, but at the cost of capacity, think like 30% of li-ion. A small package with a large thermal sink, it is possible to keep the internal pressures low and anode/cathode sizes too somewhat. So this is possible, but not practical for cellphones, as the battery would have to be rather large.

If it's real, and someone can produce this in the next 2-3 years(in a consumer product) they will completely revolutionize the cellular industry.

Tommorow news:
Facebook acquires StoreDot for 15billion dollars.

I think this is all this company is looking for, to be brought out, this tech (whatever it is) is going nowhere. Seems crap like this never does, I was sure I was going to be pouring alcohol in my laptop by now for power, or starting my car with a super iron battery (or some other crap.)

Lava actually. If that were the stock 2100mAh battery it would have reached the temperature of lava if I did the math right (around 2000 deg F).

So either:
A) This has nowhere near the capacity of the stock battery.
B) It's completely fake.
or
C) It's a room temperature super conductor.

Lava actually. If that were the stock 2100mAh battery it would have reached the temperature of lava if I did the math right (around 2000 deg F).

So either:
A) This has nowhere near the capacity of the stock battery.
B) It's completely fake.
or
C) It's a room temperature super conductor.

Made me LOL

We used to charge our 7.2v NiCad radio control car battery's using a (real) car battery when I was a kid.

Only took about a minute to reach full charge from being completely dead. They did get really hot and if you left it on there too long the battery could and would start popping open.

Why do I get the feeling that when these finally do become available, each battery will cost $100 and last for only 20 recharges?

What happened to polymer based batteries developed by MIT. Is military getting them first or its still testing dev /stages >?

It's just a battery no one gives a shit about. A regular cell phone battery, charged in 30 seconds, would burn. It would have 1000 watts through a tiny, thermally insulated battery.

fahrenheit... :( why not use a proper scale like kelvin if you claim to do "math". :eek:

Some people like doing that extra conversion for whatever reason. That and most people in the US have no idea how to interpret the K or C scale in relation to what they typically see temperature as (F). If I were doing my own engineering calculation, i'd keep it in K. But if something had to be presented to a non-engineer/scientist, conversions are necessary...if only to avoid the inevitable "how hot is that?" question.

Some people like doing that extra conversion for whatever reason. That and most people in the US have no idea how to interpret the K or C scale in relation to what they typically see temperature as (F). If I were doing my own engineering calculation, i'd keep it in K. But if something had to be presented to a non-engineer/scientist, conversions are necessary...if only to avoid the inevitable "how hot is that?" question.

But this isnt the most people in the US, this is the [H] :D

Like watching The Universe on the History Channel, "..it's gravity that makes the skier go downhill...." oh really.

Like watching The Universe on the History Channel, "..it's gravity that makes the skier go downhill...." oh really.

You would be amazed at how much people DON'T know...even though they should, for any number of reasons.

I've met people in their 40's who didn't know the Vietnam War actually happened...:eek:

I am somewhat tired of seeing companies put so much emphasis on cameras and phone thinness. Rumors are the next iPhone will come with a 4.7" option and be thinner than my 5S. Having have worked in the cellular industry in the past, consumers are not obsessed with phones being as thin as they are today, they care more about the battery life and feature set.
The new HTC phone is once again a gimmick. Having a 2,d camera to do fancy 3d effects? Really guys? Whats next, a 3D phone screen like the Nintendo DS? Samsung and HTC keep throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks. The new HTC phone design went backwards instead of forward for example, and Samsung keeps releasing the same tired plastic crap.
Apple should invest in this tech to set them apart. I personally dont need a thinner phone than my 5s, id rather have a kick ass battery.

fahrenheit... :( why not use a proper scale like kelvin if you claim to do "math". :eek:

Because I'm in the States and that's the customary unit here. And I assume, perhaps incorrectly, that people on [H] are smart enough to convert to their unit of choice.

And there is no proper scale, they're all arbitrarily axiomatic.

But this isnt the most people in the US, this is the [H] :D

So you are saying in the absence of gravity, the skier would still go downhill after pushing off with their poles?

While the video is likely real, it is almost certainly not as simple as plugging a new cord in to your existing, unmodified phone.

And if it requires the giant "backpack", then forget it.

With zero detail at all, here are my speculations:

1. It replaces the battery with a new battery, capable of much faster charging.
2. It bypasses completely the phone's built-in charging circuits.
3. The 'backpack' is required to charge, as it has the fancy charging circuitry.
4. This takes a *LOT* more power than your standard phone charger.

For comparison, the largest modern smartphone battery I can find is the Motorola Droid Maxx, at 3,500mAh. (Or 3.5 Amp-hours.) At 3.8 volts, that's about 13.3 Watt-hours. That means to charge it from dead to full in 30 seconds, you would need to supply 1600 Watts. That's more than a hairdryer at full power, more than home microwave ovens. That would generate a TREMENDOUS amount of heat during transfer, although since it's only 30 seconds, the 'backpack' may be able to act as the heat sink for it. That's about half the power draw of a Nissan Leaf when plugged in to a standard power outlet to charge. (Albeit the Leaf charges for a lot more than 30 seconds...)

Ah, found a story with a quote:

“In essence, what we have developed is a new generation of an electrode with new materials – we call it MFE – Multi Function Electrode. One side acts like a Supercapacitor (very fast charging), and the other is like a Lithium electrode (slow discharge). The electrolyte is modified as well with our nanobots in order to allow for the multifunction electrode to be effective …. we are aiming for the same capacity as a Li=on battery … Self discharge is similar to Li-ion as well,

Well, that's full of techno-buzzwords. "nanobots"? They also claim it will be only $30 when fully developed. Yeah, I'm calling vaporware.

And now that I look, it's a Galaxy S4. Assuming they replace its battery with their whatever-it-is-but-don't-call-it-a-battery at an equal power capacity, it's a 9.8 Watt-hour battery. And I see in the video that it started at 27% charged (now, really, who shows 27% as "red"?)

So, 73% of 9.8 Watt-hours is 7.154 Watt-hours. To charge that in 30 seconds, they're "only" feeding ~850 Watts in to it... Still way more than any USB charger could possibly be capable of. And still really doubtful they can squeeze that in to a $30 device.

We used to charge our 7.2v NiCad radio control car battery's using a (real) car battery when I was a kid.

Only took about a minute to reach full charge from being completely dead. They did get really hot and if you left it on there too long the battery could and would start popping open.

I was fast charging a 9.6v RC car battery once and forgot to unplug it before I left the house. Was very lucky it didn't burn down the house. The pack was all melted by the time I got home and remembered I had been charging it.

So you are saying in the absence of gravity, the skier would still go downhill after pushing off with their poles?

Sure, as long as the applied resultant force was directed at the proper angle (IE exactly parallel to the surface of the snow). But in your 'typical' usage of ski poles...there is an orthogonal component that would propel you upwards in the absence of gravity.

Back