Microsoft Unveils Windows in the Car

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Microsoft, a company well known for its ‘last-to-the-table’ approach to adapting new technology projects, has announced that the company will be offering its own interface concept for an infotainment system in cars. Microsoft will be going head-to-head with Apple’s CarPlay.

Microsoft has been powering a lot of different car entertainment systems over the years. Ford, Kia, BMW, Nissan, and Fiat have all used special versions of Windows to create their own interfaces and systems, but Microsoft is also focusing on its own "Metro" user interface for its Windows in the car future

During the demo — which crashed at one point...

Seems about right after my experience with Microsoft's efforts at Ford SYNC in friend's cars.

To Ford's credit, they did release a few updates to the SYNC software which presumable fixed the horrendous performance.

Wasn't Microsoft a major contributor to Ford's Sync project? This doesn't seem like their first foray into cars, or a major leap for that matter.

I am currently driving around in a rental 2013 Ford Taurus, and while the car is one of the worst I've driven in my life (please ask me my opinions :p ), the Sync infotainment system is absolutely brilliant. I wish I could get a system like this in my car :p

If Windows crashes does it crash my car with it?
If it does, will it still be a called a BSOD or will be RSOD?

If it bluescreens, hopefully it doesnt abruptly shut your car off (*cough*, Chevy Cobalt)

If it bluescreens, hopefully it doesnt abruptly shut your car off (*cough*, Chevy Cobalt)

48210285.jpg

Seriously, a tablet in a car? Why again to I need some dumb touchscreen when I'm supposed to be watching the road?

My Escape has a metal badge on the center console that says "Powered by Microsoft". I honestly have no problem with it.

Seriously, a tablet in a car? Why again to I need some dumb touchscreen when I'm supposed to be watching the road?

If the interface is designed properly, it can be made easier and LESS distracting than fiddling with buttons on the dash, and can also fit MORE information than you can do with traditional buttons.

The 2013 Ford Taurus I am currently renting is a good example of this. (too bad about the rest of the car, which is a bloated oversized boat in appearance and how it drives, but feels like a small subcompact from a spaciousness perspective).

It's tough to show in pictures, as they don't do the system justice, but here is the instrument cluster. The speedo is a traditional dial, but the screens on both sides are fantastic LCD's controlled by steering wheel controls allowing you to change songs, play voicemails, have text messages read to you, view fuel mileage statistics, etc. etc. and the main touch screen in the center helps tie it all together, and allows for a very useful backup camera.

trs13_pg_002_int_full.jpg

trs14_sho_pg_lg_1.jpg

Again, brilliant system, wish I had something like this in my Volvo. Just too bad about the rest of the car...

IMHO, the only system better than this that I have used, was when I played around with a prototype Tesla Model S a couple of years ago.

Yes, there are a lot of distracting things, like choosing music, phone syncing to make calls, receive read text messages, changing music, etc. etc. but it's much better than doing it deparately on your device, allows the eyes to almost never leave the road.

As much as we all know using our devices while in the car, most people if they are honest will admit to at least once or twice glanced at a text message, or tried to find that playlist on their ipod, etc. etc.

This makes it a lot more convenient and less dangerous.

Can you imagine for a moment a time in the near future:

"Wow... people actually used to control a car by stepping on the gas/break pedal, and steering the vehicle?? :| | "

Zarathustra[H];1040749597 said:
If the interface is designed properly, it can be made easier and LESS distracting than fiddling with buttons on the dash, and can also fit MORE information than you can do with traditional buttons.

The 2013 Ford Taurus I am currently renting is a good example of this. (too bad about the rest of the car, which is a bloated oversized boat in appearance and how it drives, but feels like a small subcompact from a spaciousness perspective).

It's tough to show in pictures, as they don't do the system justice, but here is the instrument cluster. The speedo is a traditional dial, but the screens on both sides are fantastic LCD's controlled by steering wheel controls allowing you to change songs, play voicemails, have text messages read to you, view fuel mileage statistics, etc. etc. and the main touch screen in the center helps tie it all together, and allows for a very useful backup camera.

trs14_sho_pg_lg_1.jpg

Again, brilliant system, wish I had something like this in my Volvo. Just too bad about the rest of the car...

no one's buying your Sony trinkets, mister.

I simply set my Note 3 on a car mount and turn on Bluetooth. What now.

Funny true story.

I was reading a review on Play for the app that syncs Androids with Toyota infotainment units. The review read:

"You're better off duct-taping your phone to the dashboard than using this app.

:D

This is 2014, and EVERY vehicle needs a carputer now, there is no excuse not to.

Proprietary operating systems are stupid, and we absolutely should have the major OS manufacturers supporting these vehicles.

I hope to see more Windows, Android, and iOS systems in vehicles, which should be linked into the OBD2 system and skinable, so people can choose the dash layout they like and have better navigation and media controls than proprietary overpriced Mercedes and Audi shit (horrible).

Personally, I'm using a 9" Android tablet (waterproof Pantech Element) I have magnetically mounted to my A-pillar, that handles GPS duty and media functionality over bluetooth 2.1. Love it! Only downside is that while I can adjust the volume with the steering wheel control, I have to swipe songs with my finger and can't use the up down feature on the wheel. Since i mounted the tablet right by the wheel though, its not an inconvenience.

I do the same with my 2013 Nexus 7, and it works well. I use it for Waze and playing Spotify on the go, but nothing beats having good car integration with instrument panel notification, built in microphones and steering wheel controls.

Did Microsoft ever had a first foray in car computing with some kind of Windows CE-based embedded OS for the car that never came to fruition? Or, was it just their collaboration with Ford Sync?

Zarathustra[H];1040749679 said:
I do the same with my 2013 Nexus 7, and it works well. I use it for Waze and playing Spotify on the go, but nothing beats having good car integration with instrument panel notification, built in microphones and steering wheel controls.

I have an F-150 I put a car pc in. 10" touch screen in the dash, with steering wheel remote control using a joycon, gps navigation, obd2 link. And I retained Ford Sync for my phone, which plays over the front speakers. I could add a microphone or tap the factory for my pc, but I don't really have any use for it at present.

This is 2014, and EVERY vehicle needs a carputer now, there is no excuse not to.

What for? :confused: Movies you can't really watch anyway? Music that already comes out of a radio? Updating Facebook while sitting in a parking lot? I'm some mega old guy like most people here are and I don't even see a reason for stuff like that. It's totally not important when we could be doing something smarter like getting rid of huge fuel wasting pickup trucks, vans, and SUVs that are all driven by amazingly redneck crazy people who drive dumb. Unless they put automatic speeding ticket things in them or make it easy for police to take control of a car and pull it off a road so there's no more running away from them and killing innocent people, I just don't see a reason for them.

Did Microsoft ever had a first foray in car computing with some kind of Windows CE-based embedded OS for the car that never came to fruition? Or, was it just their collaboration with Ford Sync?

Yes, see the first page ;) for what they were doing in 1998. In 2001, they were doing BMW iDrive. But sure, apple is inventing integrated car stuff, just like they invented mp3 players, and smart phones, and tablets.

Zarathustra[H];1040749384 said:
Wasn't Microsoft a major contributor to Ford's Sync project? This doesn't seem like their first foray into cars, or a major leap for that matter.

I am currently driving around in a rental 2013 Ford Taurus, and while the car is one of the worst I've driven in my life (please ask me my opinions :p ), the Sync infotainment system is absolutely brilliant. I wish I could get a system like this in my car :p

When MS does it first it doesn't count, don't you understand that? Geeze.

I would like to see this... ive been thinking about doing a Windows 8 Install in my Mazdaspeed 3. Mainly because Im a C# developer and could make my own apps. The biggest challenge is is tapping into the CANBUS system.

Yes, see the first page ;) for what they were doing in 1998. In 2001, they were doing BMW iDrive. But sure, apple is inventing integrated car stuff, just like they invented mp3 players, and smart phones, and tablets.

Yeah, that rings a bell. I sort of remember it because Windows CE was being in a lot of things including the Dreamcast, and Microsoft wanted to expand the embedded OS in other devices. I know they "tried" (yet failed) to get a leg up on Palm with their tablet/PDA devices using Windows CE.

Hopefully this newer attempt has better luck, and probably with Windows Phone 8.1-based OS or Windows 8.1 embedded/micro kernel like on the XONE.

Cars are already expensive enough. The last thing they need is an expensive device which a huge portion of consumers would never use. Yes, I'm talking about you mom :D

My Mercedes already provides me with all the on-dash information I need without having a bluescreen happy junk on it.

Cool. Baby blocks on the Nav Screen of your MiniVan.

Makes sense to me !!!

What for? :confused: Movies you can't really watch anyway? Music that already comes out of a radio? Updating Facebook while sitting in a parking lot? I'm some mega old guy like most people here are and I don't even see a reason for stuff like that. It's totally not important when we could be doing something smarter like getting rid of huge fuel wasting pickup trucks, vans, and SUVs that are all driven by amazingly redneck crazy people who drive dumb. Unless they put automatic speeding ticket things in them or make it easy for police to take control of a car and pull it off a road so there's no more running away from them and killing innocent people, I just don't see a reason for them.
I'm only 30 and I agree with you here. I don't understand the need for "infotainment" in a car. That is an extra $3000 that could be saved by not including one. My car has basically one dial I fiddle with while in motion to control the inside temperature and 6 buttons on the radio. All these controls are placed in such a way that I never have to glance at anything at all. No matter how well the interface is designed on the infotainment center it's always going to be a distraction.

But I'm one of those weirdos who actually still enjoys driving and feeling connected with the road, so take it as you will :cool:.

While having cool gadgets from the factory is nice, it sure makes it harder to do upgrades later.

The problem has always been the same you don't upgrade your car every 2 years like your phone.

I was given a loaner Infiniti Q50 while my M37 was being serviced. Neat car but when you start it up you cannot control the air or radio until the thing finishes "Loading Apps". It took the thing about a minute and a half. That's BS.

I expect MS to have a similar problems plus blue screens. Cars shouldn't blue screen, they should just go.

Back