GameSpy Shutting Down Services

HardOCP News

[H] News
While this may not be surprising to many of you, I'll bet the companies that used GameSpy were surprised to hear they were pulling the plug in May.

The GameSpy Technology Website announces that as of the end of next month, GameSpy owner Glu will discontinue backend services for games using GameSpy technology (thanks Joao). Word is: Effective May 31, 2014, GameSpy will cease providing all hosted services for all games still using GameSpy. If you have any questions about how this impacts your favorite title please contact the game's publisher for more information. Thanks for a great ride!"

Good riddance. It was nice piece of software when online multiplayer was really picking up steam 10-15 years ago, but it has been irrelevant since then because games did really well with in-game server browsers.

Good riddance. It was nice piece of software when online multiplayer was really picking up steam 10-15 years ago, but it has been irrelevant since then because games did really well with in-game server browsers.

Umm... there were a quite a few games with in-game server browsers that were actually run by gamespy.

i am assuming the first comment was related to their software (not ingame browser and lifetime support for games)

as to why a lot of games that "used" gamespy still work today, most new games due to tie in with online services (orign or other DRM dependant games) can die at any time after 3-5 years

It was my portal to Quakeworld once upon a time. Thems were the days.

I remember gamespy was a big deal back in the day 2000-ish period (I was just graduating high school)

haven't done anything really memorable since then.

Good riddance to both Gamespy and GFWL.

Maybe Bohemia Interactive will finally backend the Arma/DayZ games to Steamworks or something else now.

doesn't borderlands1 use gamespy?
R.I.P.
back in the quake days it owned, but then it got riddled with spyware

For the clueless 50% in this thread, they are NOT talking about the standalone server application Gamespy 3D. That project died YEARS ago.

PLENTY of games even created today use Gamespy for in-game server browsers. I'm pretty sure that gamespy is on EVERY modern platform and console.

Old games not receiving patches have the potential to be unplayable by this news.

Games are still being released that utilize in-game browsers powered by Gamespy.

Gamespy deserves the create for what it gave to the community. Both their news and services.

Most games do piss poor matchmaking these days. Gamespy offers match making services too. But the server browser days were the absolute best!

I'm biased because they bought a website from me, had me put in many hours of work, and then stiffed me for it. So *uck'em and good riddance.

I think the first time I used GameSpy was when I played Action Quake 2. It also happens to be the last time I ever needed it.

Wasn't Half-Life Deathmatch run through there?

Kind of sad, had good memories of playing in some good teams in GameSpy, although not as painful as Microsoft pulling the plug on MSN Games for the sake of Bejewelled and some other s#!t, lost the last two X-Wing games, and Crimson Skies (lot's of friends and teams I lost touch with as a result of that).

I know this isnt about the standalone GamesSpy 3D app that started it all (most likely!). But i would like to say that in my experience in game server browsers nowadays completely fail at being even half of what GameSpy used to be. It was awesome! Hell there isnt even such a thing as a server browser on Consoles. Cardinal Sin.

This make me sad. Was going through old files the other day and came across my old gamespy directory...I have a lifetime membership grandfathered from way way way back...and it still worked.

I liked game spy for a year. was good for warcraft2 after heat and zone stopped but then bnet was made. and all the other game makers followed

:( Remembering my favorite GS launch sound: "Lets get on with the killing!"

Anyone remember Gamespy Arcade? It was the greatest thing in the world before Tunngle/Hamachi/XBConnect/Other LAN Tunneling software. I loved finding matches for Freedom Force or Halo (Xbox) on that thing. But their ingame servers were terribly slow for modern games.

Anyone remember Gamespy Arcade? It was the greatest thing in the world before Tunngle/Hamachi/XBConnect/Other LAN Tunneling software. I loved finding matches for Freedom Force or Halo (Xbox) on that thing. But their ingame servers were terribly slow for modern games.

Yep, in fact I just loaded up my Gamespy Arcade for the sentimental value.

Darnit...couldn't find any Q3A servers in GSA.

This. It was nice when it began as QuakeSpy. Once it moved to GameSpy it went to shit.

This is the first time I've even heard of GameSpy, but I just don't think that many people will actually bother playing games online that aren't MMOs or using something like XBL or PSN.

I don't suppose anyone has a list of games that used gamespy? That way i know what on my self of old games will stop working should i want to play them?

I am curious about Battlefield 2 now...don't those servers use gamespy for background authentication services?

This is the first time I've even heard of GameSpy, but I just don't think that many people will actually bother playing games online that aren't MMOs or using something like XBL or PSN.

Gamespy came out a number of years ago (98/99?) it was the defacto service for online gamers back then. This was when 56K was still king in most parts of the country.

Once the developers started to put in their own game browsers into the game, gamespy started to flail in the wind as developers abandoned the platform.

I'm sad, they worked so much better than heat, although heat had a better community.

Good riddance to both Gamespy and GFWL.

Maybe Bohemia Interactive will finally backend the Arma/DayZ games to Steamworks or something else now.

Aside from the updates. using ArmA 3 sucks on Steam. Too bad about Take On Helicopters. Never got around to trying it.

Back