Open Source Hand Made Laptop Goes on Sale

Meh ... I would ask if it can run Crysis (but with an ARM processor it can't) ... call me when they have a viable Open Source Performance Gaming Laptop :cool:

It's just a little bit expensive, otherwise I think its really interesting.

You have to remember that this was designed by the same guy who designed the Chumby. It's for hardware hacking/debugging/design and embedded systems programming - with some truly unique features. This is a tool, not a toy:

Freescale iMX6 CPU
Quad-core Cortex A9 CPU with NEON FPU @ 1.2 GHz
NDA-free datasheet and programming manual

Internal memory:
Boot from microSD firmware
64-bit, DDR3-1066 SO-DIMM slot
SATA-II (3Gbps)

Internal ports & sensors:
mini PCI-express slot
UIM slot for mPCIx mobile data card support
Dual-channel LVDS LCD connector with USB2.0 side-channel for a display-side camera
Resistive touchscreen controller
Stereo 1.1W, 8-ohm internal speaker connectors
2x USB2.0 internal connectors for keyboard and mouse/trackpad
Digital microphone (optional, not populated by default)
3-axis accelerometer
3x internal UART ports

External ports:
HDMI
SD card reader
headphone + mic port (compatible with most mobile phone headsets, supports sensing in-line cable buttons)
2x USB 2.0 ports, supporting high-current (1.5A) device charging
1Gbit ethernet

Fun features:
100 Mbit ethernet — dual Ethernet capability allows laptop to be used as an in-line packet filter or router
USB OTG — enables laptop to spoof/fuzz ethernet, serial, etc. over USB via gadget interface to other USB hosts
Utility serial EEPROM — for storing crash logs and other bits of handy data
Spartan-6 CSG324-packaged FPGA — has several interfaces to the CPU, including a 2Gbit/s (peak) RAM-like bus — for your bitcoin mining needs. Or whatever else you might want to toss in an FPGA.
High-speed I/O expansion header -- useful for implementing a wide variety of functions, from simple GPIO breakouts to high-performance analog data sampling front-ends

I had been thinking before this that if I could get one for around 1000 to 1500 with a usable case(a standard style notebook case) I'd be interested. As this stands it is neat but just isn't there for me.

I'd love a 10 to 13 inch arm laptop with a big battery and a 1080p or better screen. This isn't it.

Back