US Secretly Created 'Cuban Twitter' To Stir Unrest

HardOCP News

[H] News
We should have saved ourselves some time and money and just gave Cuba the real Twitter. ;)

According to documents obtained by The Associated Press and multiple interviews with people involved in the project, the plan was to develop a bare-bones "Cuban Twitter," using cellphone text messaging to evade Cuba's strict control of information and its stranglehold restrictions over the Internet. In a play on Twitter, it was called ZunZuneo — slang for a Cuban hummingbird's tweet.

They just said on the radio this afternoon that the whole thing was like debated publically and there was no seekrits or closed doors stuff about it.

US Government = SCUM

They foment world unrest, they profit from world unrest. Humanity means nothing beyond a tool to exploit.

US Government = SCUM

They foment world unrest, they profit from world unrest. Humanity means nothing beyond a tool to exploit.

You think the USA is the only ones engaging in this?

I got a bridge to sell you.

You think the USA is the only ones engaging in this?

I got a bridge to sell you.

LMAO. So true. One only needs to look as far as conflict in Ukraine to see the EU and Russia doing the same damn thing the US does.

The war against communism turned out to be completely misguided and wasteful. Communism is kind of self defeating since any state with a static party system is inevitably lousy with corruption. Not that I think we ever should have engaged with an absolute monster like Stalin, but maybe it's time to let the whole Cuba is an evil Communist neighbour thing go? The USA has accomplished more with diplomacy and cultural influence than any empire in history, it's sad to see such a powerful method ignored with regards to Cuba.

And we wonder why other people hate us. Yeah, no idea why that might be...

Sorry I was carrying as normal, and not paying attention to Cuba, they have internet access?

Along with stirring up strife in Ukraine and soon Syria... we export inflation because of an additional 1,000,000,000,000 of debt each year. Amazing!

So the US government tried giving the Cuban people more access to information, biased though it would be?

How is this a bad thing, again? Isn't giving the Cuban populace a chance for a broader view of the world something we should support? Cubans are living in misery right now, in a standard of living only somewhat better than North Korea's. They have a bloody history of throwing artists, intellectuals, and other such "threats" into camps, beating the shit out of them, and then killing them. Often overseen, I might add, by Che Guevara, the one the kiddies all love to put on their t-shirts and accessories.

If there's any way we can offer the people another option, we should do so. There's a reason they risk their lives to escape.

Never revealing whom created it, what their intended purpose was, and having an intended purpose of controlling and instigating riots and political action amongst the population? I see nothing that could go wrong there :p One of the problems with stuff like this is when who was behind it and what their purpose was finally gets out, the entire idea can backfire and make the people even more distrusting of the US and more trusting of their own government.

It was a matter of public record in 2013. This didn't "get out" or "leak" or anything else and no secrets were exposed. Making a big deal out of something that was never a secret to begin with because no one bothered to report it last year to a public that was too engrossed in other news stories is pretty much just a media manipulation of really dumb people to get ratings and profit just like how Google farms computer nerds that use its service and Facebook farm Wal-Mart shoppers and geezers for ad money.

It's existence and creation may or may not have been a secret but I'm fairly certain the users weren't informed that every word was being monitored in order to place everyone in the populous in one of 5 catagories.

There is one thing that it shows, which is that the us government steals so much money from it's citizens that they can indulge their wildest imagination, WHATEVER that may be.

The last time the US attempted to create unrest in Cuba it didn't work out so well did it .... pay of pigs was a massive failure.

It really is time to get over it.

It's existence and creation may or may not have been a secret but I'm fairly certain the users weren't informed that every word was being monitored in order to place everyone in the populous in one of 5 catagories.

Facebook, Google, your telco, your ISP, and everyone else does it too.

There is one thing that it shows, which is that the us government steals so much money from it's citizens that they can indulge their wildest imagination, WHATEVER that may be.

:rolleyes:

The best wars today are Twitter Wars.... and that's a good place for them.

Cuba, yeah that's an old sorta war . Lift the embargo that's been in place since JFK was president.

That made sense then during the Missile Crisis , it doesn't make sense now.

I thought for a second there Mark Cuban had his own twitter thing going on

Back