WhatsApp Handles 64B Messages In 24 Hours?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Even as the parent of a texting teenager, I find this number very hard to believe.

Popular smartphone messaging service WhatsApp has revealed that 64 billion messages were sent by users in just 24 hours. This surpasses the record of 50 billion messages that was set in January this year.

Oh noes! Someone let 2560 teenage girls on the internet!

How is it that I hadn't even heard of WhatsApp before the buyout? I feel old and behind the times haha.

I don't even want to try to do the math on how many people on whatapp have to text every second just to make this number even plausible.

Actually, I'm not surprised. When I was a teen, I talk with friends on the phone until the sun came up.

Now whatsapp has group chat that has like multiples of friends in one chat where they spam each other whenever and until the sun comes up and the sun goes down.

With all the grammar nazis and *corrections that happens in messages, is the 60 billion messages/24hours anything great? One word can be a message so why not? I've been guilty of correcting myself like 4 times in a few seconds. Multiply that by the number of teens who need to correct their words over a day and, bam, number skyrockets.

That's like a Pro starcraft player spamming APM at the beginning of the game for no reason to get like 600APM for clicking on workers. Ultimately useless but it just drives numbers up.

113 messages in 24h on average across all 465 million customers???

WhatsApp must suffer from a spambot infestation or they forgot April 1st was yesterday.

I probably send more than 300 skype messages on any given day and that's nothing compared to the good old irc days.

Says the one posting during the day on a net forum.

Maybe he had his 15 minutes of sweet fuck all in the afternoon. Smokers tend to take those pretty regularly, but if he is not, used it to post :p

The tweet that is referenced is dated 1 Apr 2014. I wouldn't think it would be more than the other well known services like Viper, Google Voice, etc.

Back