$50 Roku Streaming Stick Now Shipping

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Those of you who enjoy the convenience of Roku, but find that the available Roku models aren’t compatible with all of your TV sets, the new and improved version of the Roku Streaming Stick has already begun to ship and will be available for purchase in early April.

I have the older MHL Stream Stick and it works perfectly in my Oppo Blu-ray player. I'd highly recommend this.

So what are the limitations of this? Seems to be set up for streaming services primarily, but can I stream a video from my computer to it?

Also looks like it plugs in the HDMI and the USB port (to power it?) of the TV in the video.

Not going to replace my roku 3 until those fucking idiots support CEC. Chromecast supports it, but does this thing? Unlikely.

So what are the limitations of this? Seems to be set up for streaming services primarily, but can I stream a video from my computer to it?

Also looks like it plugs in the HDMI and the USB port (to power it?) of the TV in the video.

Has a USB cable to power it and a USB AC adapter to use with it optionally.

With its size, not surprising it has no ports except the HDMI & USB charge port (no indication its anything more than a charge port). Connects via Wi-Fi only.

Works well enough. Unless you need the alternate audio ports I wouldn't understand why'd you buy a Roku 1.

This will do Youtube. The Roku 3 is the only other Roku device that will do so at the moment. The implementation of the App needs a little work, imho.

Remote is "RF" meaning it doesn't need line of site. Other Roku's that do "RF" remotes also support IR so it can used with an universal remote. Haven't tried with this device, but with no line of sight if you plug in the rear I would not be surprised there is zero IR support.

Chromecast can play anything that you can play in Chrome. I don't know about Roku though.

Chromecast can play anything that you can play in Chrome. I don't know about Roku though.
Most things on a browser would either be obscure or have a native roku counterpart as good as the browser or in cases like Amazon Instant Video, better. That it because Amazon gimps its PC player versus what it will feed dedicated players. Not sure how many services follow suit.

I havent tried it yet, but pretty sure streaming tabs often results in lag/dropped frames because the chromecast cant quite keep up. There's a big difference between a specially written decoder built from the ground up to handle a native video stream (netflix, youtube, etc) and a wrapper that just attempts to stream raw frames across the air.

Anyway I just bought a chromecast and like it better than my roku now since it allows me to browse content on my phone instead of on the roku. The phone UI's for websites/apps are much more intuitive and faster to navigate through than using a remote and repeatedly button mashing your way across screen. I find myself absorbing more content via the chromecast than I would via Roku since I can fire off youtube videos and stuff much faster.

You can cast Youtube to the Roku now and Plex. Not sure about other Android/Roku Apps, but I'm sure the feature will propagate.

Eh, no thanks, I have enough devices already. Also, without a Windows Phone App, I would not bother anyways.) Xbox Smartglass for my 360 and One works well though.

Back