MSI R9 290X LIGHTNING

HardOCP News

[H] News
The crew at Vortez says the MSI R9 290X LIGHTNING is "to overclockers, what chocolate is to women." :D

Being a lightning product, we expect nothing less than perfection from MSI as it is the flagship example. We were thoroughly impressed with the cards opposite number, the GTX 780 Ti gaming edition and while there is no 'Lightning Edition' of the 780Ti as yet, the gaming edition reigned supreme regardless. Hopefully then, we will see more of the same with the R9 290X Lightning because 'Lightning Edition' is to overclockers, what chocolate is to women, what cheese is to a mouse, what catnip is to ...er a cat. You get the picture!

I am going to be testing the 290X Lightning here over the next few weeks :) . I have taken some photos for you to oogle in the meantime :p

IMGUR Album

I am taking this slowly over the coming weeks to limit my stress that I get from testing ( trying to take it easier for my health :/ - no more hours of testing at the computers for me :'( )

Yes - In fact I may try to kill two chickens with one card lol - jk, though I could since I am getting some chicks and ducklings this week... But I am not that kind of person thankfully lol - though I will have to kill some of them in 6 weeks when I butcher them ( first time :/ )

There was a guy here last month who bought two new 780 Ti KINGPIN's and was going to show them off and then he put them up for sale like 2 days later without saying another word.

I hope you're not like that guy. 8)

No, that won't be happening :) - If anything I will be mining with this if I don't use my desktop/ test rig that much... I use my notebook 99% of the time since it is a beast that I can use in any room lol. It may be slower updating pace than I want to but it will be pushed hard :)

Its up and running BF4 buttery smooth @ 1207/1601 :) I am going to try to push it further this weekend

Its up and running BF4 buttery smooth @ 1207/1601 :) I am going to try to push it further this weekend

Very nice :) The memory seems to be great on those cards, getting 1600 - 1700mhz easily on all the cards I've seen. And 1200 + on the core.

What are your core/VRM temps with those clocks when gaming? How fast do the fans need to maintain those temps?

Awesome card ;)

Actually I am insanely impressed by the cooler - its immense but it works very very well

Here is a pic in game for you to tell - Ultra settings in BF4 @ 1440, no Mantle ( beta drivers were causing issues)

l67pijl.jpg

I'm using 2x to play BF4 at 2560x1600 myself. :D

The stock cooler is HEAVY and quite effective.

That thing is beastly :cool:. £529.99 though? Is that the base price or does it include VAT? It's selling for $699.99 in the US right now. £529.99 is about $880 at today's exchange rates :eek:.

That thing is beastly :cool:. £529.99 though? Is that the base price or does it include VAT? It's selling for $699.99 in the US right now. £529.99 is about $880 at today's exchange rates :eek:.

Yep, that's including VAT (tax at 20%). Although you can get it for under 550 EURO in some places in Germany (most competetive prices in the EU) which isn't too bad.

Prices in US are generally better though (low/no taxes and more competition).

@ GoatEater. AWESOME numbers man. Especially the VRM and PCB temps. They must be getting great airflow to be so cool.

Yep, that's including VAT (tax at 20%). Although you can get it for under 550 EURO in some places in Germany (most competetive prices in the EU) which isn't too bad.

Prices in US are generally better though (low/no taxes and more competition).

@ GoatEater. AWESOME numbers man. Especially the VRM and PCB temps. They must be getting great airflow to be so cool.

The cooler is amazing, It has by far been the biggest surprise about the card's performance. I am very happy that it stays so cool even while on auto fan. It also was that cool while I mined with it for 48 hours, just awesome.

I'm going to try and get some new BIOSes in time for my benching - hopefully R&D has some betas that I can grab... Anxiously awaiting my cascade cooler to push out some benchmarks, I will try to use ducted AC (modded) for cooling the card. Fugger from XS had his at 1300/1700 + with his modded AC unit

I am waiting to get my cascade until I really pound the Lightnng, though I am tweaking it now to get ready

Back