Google Turns On HTTPS By Default In Gmail

HardOCP News

[H] News
With HTTPS on by default, the only people that can spy on your Gmail account is Google. ;)

Starting today, Gmail will always use an encrypted HTTPS connection when you check or send email. Gmail has supported HTTPS since the day it launched, and in 2010 we made HTTPS the default. Today's change means that no one can listen in on your messages as they go back and forth between you and Gmail’s servers—no matter if you're using public WiFi or logging in from your computer, phone or tablet.

Good thing they responded to that oversight quickly. How many years has it been?

Zarathustra[H];1040714048 said:
Or if you use an unpatched Mac or iOS device, anyone! :p

But apple devices never get any viruses or infections.Its impossible because its an apple device.

i have made a push at work to make all HTTP sites HTTPS, the overhead is so little now, unlike 10 years ago, unless your poor and can afford all the SSL certs, little reason not to use HTTPS for any hosting you do.

It has been "default" for 4 years. It has been "available" since it launched.

Now it is the *ONLY* option. (Sorry, 40-bit international-compliant Netscape Navigator 4.0, you're out of luck.)

Now they need to make S/MIME available through the web interface. (And make it default when sending to other Gmail/Google Apps-hosted addresses.)

Zarathustra[H];1040714048 said:
Or if you use an unpatched Mac or iOS device, anyone that manages to break into your secure network! :p

fixed.

Google finally figured out that they need to keep the data secure so it can't be obtained as easily and thus, the value of the data is higher when they sell it to their advertising partners.

i have made a push at work to make all HTTP sites HTTPS, the overhead is so little now, unlike 10 years ago, unless your poor and can afford all the SSL certs, little reason not to use HTTPS for any hosting you do.

The CPU overhead may be little, but it still adds extra round trips (so if your clients aren't close, significant latency, at least for the first request on a connection). Unfortunately the speed of light hasn't increased in the last 10 years. There is still a tradeoff here.

No one...except those advertisers who pay us to sift through your e-mail for ads.

Gmail user, targeted ads creep me out.

Back