4K Ultra HD On Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

HardOCP News

[H] News
The alternative OS experts over at Phoronix are doing a little 4K Ultra HD graphics card testing on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. Hit the link and check it out.

With the release of Ubuntu 14.04 LTS "Trusty Tahr" right around the corner we have out today some new benchmarks of various AMD Radeon and NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards when testing them with the latest Linux GPU drivers on Ubuntu 14.04 at 4K (3840 x 2160).

It is my thinking that you can tell a site's budget by the fact they use a $599 (or less in some places) Seiki 39-inch 4K Ultra HDTV that does 30Hz via HDMI-only (no other input) instead of a $1399 4K Dell monitor for testing that does 60Hz via MST DisplayPort.

It is interesting, however, the Radeon cards seem to be capped at a certain framerate at 4K resolution in Linux using the official drivers from AMD. I wonder why.

One day someone will have a game on Linux that's a more relevant benchmark than Xonotic, but it is not this day.

One day someone will have a game on Linux that's a more relevant benchmark than Xonotic, but it is not this day.

Year of the Linux Desktop! It's coming!

I wish Linux had more gaming options. Support seems to be getting better, though. Maybe another decade and things will be great. I would just like to have that additional option when gaming. Similar to my web servers - sometimes Linux/Apache performs better, other times you need IIS.... I want the same for games. Just use what has the highest performance and visual quality. I don't care what OS it runs. It can be Amiga OS as long as it's better in game.

Back