Short Film Made Using Drones

When I was growing up, an aircraft that you controlled from the ground using a transmitter was just a RCA. We started putting cameras on them and they were still RCAs. Didn't matter if it was fixed wing or helicopter.

Then quadcopters came out, and even though they aren't controlled autonomously whatsoever for the most part, the era of "drones" was created... everything is a drone.

Wow, Drones are allowing normal people to make movies high in the sky on the cheap. I Love it! Check out this Drone/Superman Mini Movie!

Just another extension of cheap movie making.

Top Gear UK uses them a lot now also

Wait til the local news uses them to snoop on a crime in progress.
Why would I not be surprised if it were deemed a crime for some idiotic reason is say, it were done instead Joe Citizen? Criminals sue for invasion of privacy or some crap. /semi sarcasm

When I was growing up, an aircraft that you controlled from the ground using a transmitter was just a RCA. We started putting cameras on them and they were still RCAs. Didn't matter if it was fixed wing or helicopter.

Then quadcopters came out, and even though they aren't controlled autonomously whatsoever for the most part, the era of "drones" was created... everything is a drone.

Aren't buzzwords fun? Just like "the cloud"

If they had a longer range they could use the for traffic reporting.
Definitely far more cost effective, but I'm sure this video used a crapton of editing to get the video so stabilized, which isn't really an option for a live feed.

They probably used a frame blending tool for some of those scenes to make it look really smooth too.

Definitely the future though, and I wouldn't want to be a helicopter pilot in training.

Pretty cool but I had to mute it, the music was not good. Interesting idea though.

Ah now it all makes sense. Recently I was wondering if they really used helicopters for so many scenes.

I am guessing but in the Africa special it was pretty obvious they were drones and not helicopters... the new ones seem to be a lot steadier and hard to tell if they are drones

http://www.motionvfx.com/mblog/pana...d_to_shot_top_gears_africa_special,p2348.html

Synthetic bass beat + fax machine played back at 50% speed = dubstep.

I literally LOLed

Definitely far more cost effective, but I'm sure this video used a crapton of editing to get the video so stabilized, which isn't really an option for a live feed.

This is the one we fly. It's a practice run before we shot a marathon runner for a TV feature. I superimposed the pilot cam over the gimballed cam. It's a hilly area so winds are unpredictable. And you can probably imagine i was not having fun piloting it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S17i9tkRg4

Pardon the lousy FPV picture. I piloted it, but the guy that put it together didn't know what components he was buying and bought a crappy flight cam.

They probably used a frame blending tool for some of those scenes to make it look really smooth too.
Not really. The behind the scenes showed they are actually jiggled the camera to hide the transitions.

Definitely the future though, and I wouldn't want to be a helicopter pilot in training.

Problem is, the newer models come with GPS/autopilot and advertised as being incredibly easy to fly since the computer does all the piloting. But there's also been an increase of crashes and flyaways (flyaway = autopilot software crashes and the multirotor flies off to china). RC pilot that puts a camera on his model = Fun! Photographer that buys a helicopter to put his camera on = Disaster!

Damn, nice! Technology exceeds my expectations. My fixed wing platform is officially obsolete!

Back