The US Mint is Making a Curved Coin That Looks Like a Baseball

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The USPS has been making commemorative stamps for years and now the US Mint is getting in on the action with a curved commemorative coin to celebrate the 75th anniversary of the National Baseball Hall of Fame. :cool:

The actual surcharge for each coin is markedly higher, at $35 for gold, $10 for silver, and $5 for the half-dollar coin, with proceeds going to the Hall of Fame non-profit.

Better buy shares in vending machine repair companies. :D

Kind of cool though, and I imagine these are more meant as collector's items than actually money.

Kind of cool though, and I imagine these are more meant as collector's items than actually money.

With the $5, $1, and $0.50 coins costing $35, $10, and $5, respectively, people probably aren't going to be spending them.

With the $5, $1, and $0.50 coins costing $35, $10, and $5, respectively, people probably aren't going to be spending them.

and with only 1.2 million coins total in circulation in the series...well they aren't going to be circulating much anyway.

I like the idea, though, and would make for an interesting way to add tactile feel to a coin for when fishing out of pocket or for blind folks. But vending machines does render the concept impractical.

I like the idea, though, and would make for an interesting way to add tactile feel to a coin for when fishing out of pocket or for blind folks. But vending machines does render the concept impractical.

I seriously doubt anyone will be using $35 coins in vending machines. This isn't intended to be in mass circulation.

Too bad the money goes toward an entity I couldn't care less to give money to. The coin is pretty neat though.

I seriously doubt anyone will be using $35 coins in vending machines. This isn't intended to be in mass circulation.

Exactly. This is the same sort of deal as those commemorative coins that they've had TV commercials on the air for years now.

"Get this all new 2013 24k gold clad commemorative coin with a $2 value as real currency in some country you've never heard of, yours now for only 3 easy payments of $9.95"

No one is going to be buying these to stick in a vending machine, or even spend. They're crappy collectibles, that's it.

I didn't say it had to be a $35 coin...

But another way to differentiate denominations aside from size... the 3D shape of the coin itself. Half dollars and Quarters aren't terribly different in size, for example.

No one is going to be buying these to stick in a vending machine, or even spend. They're crappy collectibles, that's it.

Elderly man or woman will buy one, then their stupid teenage grandkids or great-grandkids will end up with it, think "oh it says $2, I can use this to buy a snack" and crap will happen.

will not happen often, but this will pops up now and then.

(or elderly man will have it in his pocket and forget what it is and try to spend it... more likely since I'm seeing more and more vending machines accepting credit/debit cards and basically the only people still putting physical money into them are the elderly...)

Back