Sony’s Oculus Rift VR Headset Rival Expected Next Week

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Sony is readying its answer to the Oculus Rift next week when the company will unveil its virtual reality headset for the PS4 at the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco March 18th.

Third-party developers who have been given a prototype of the headset told Edge that Sony’s equipment is far superior to the current implementation of the Oculus Rift, which has received over $90m of venture capital funding as well as $2.5m from a successful Kickstarter campaign in 2012.

I get the feeling this will automatically flop from the Sony branding.

I think it's a good think as long as it can spark some good competition in the VR space.

I'm expecting this to be on par with almost everything sony these days. Overpriced and under performing. Sony is going to flop hard if they think the steal the thunder from Oculus Rift so easily. CAST AR seems a better competitor.

It might be a nice piece of hardware, but PS4 doesn't have the raw power to put out enough FPS for it to work. That alone would make it an automatic flop experience-wise. And this time it's going to be even worse than the "3D" bs because this thing is mounted on your head. No one should be able to put up with 30 fps for something that takes their entire vision.

They've been working on it for years and this is supposed to be consumer ready. I don't think they're too late to steal some market share from OR.
Yes, this current effort by Sony has been in the works since at least 2010:

http://www.vg247.com/2010/07/26/sony-move-is-a-virtual-reality-controller/

And to be fair, Sony has been producing head mounted displays since the introduction of the 'Glasstron' in 1996:

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/CorporateInfo/History/sonyhistory-n.html

From some of the user comments, it sounds as if Oculus invented the concept of Virtual Reality. What has made this resurgence in VR possible is the availability of cheap, high resolution cell phone displays, the GPU power to drive them and the fortunate timing to take advantage of those two.

Indeed, Oculus simply reminded the world that VR could be fun. Palmer always stated that his goal was to simply bring VR back to the limelight, not to own it, not to run it, not to make a billion dollars, but to simply see VR become a mainstream thing. He didnt care if Microsoft or any other company outbid him and developed something superior, he just wanted to stimulate the industry so it would happen, and it looks like he did exactly that. Hopefully he got a good payday out of it too, assuming he has nothing else to offer the VR industry.

No one wonders why Sony is falling apart when they spend the time and money to launch a product to compete in a market that has no buyers. Have fun listening to the same crickets chirping that the Rift people are already hearing.

sony have released quite a few HMDs, so they have some experience at least...

Sony will reveal a virtual reality headset for the PlayStation 4 to directly compete with the pioneering Oculus Rift next week, sources have told the Guardian.

Oculus has stated they are not developing for any consoles, only mobile and PC. So how is Sony's VR a "direct competitor" to the Rift?

Oculus has stated they are not developing for any consoles, only mobile and PC. So how is Sony's VR a "direct competitor" to the Rift?
If it's a better solution, folks might buy the PS4 version of games for VR isntead of PC version + Rift

If it's a better solution, folks might buy the PS4 version of games for VR isntead of PC version + Rift

True, but Sony stated its Developing this for the PS4 platform, not PC. And that makes more sense, because Sony doesn't have any stake in the PC gaming market. Sony is doing this more to compete with Microsoft than Oculus.

The developers of the Rift have solved the latency issues (Motion Sickness). I wonder if what the latency of the Sony version is.

The developers of the Rift have solved the latency issues (Motion Sickness). I wonder if what the latency of the Sony version is.

Same here. Does Sony have a real consumer product, or a cobble job?
Between Carmack and Valves VR guy "Atman Binstock" joining the Oculus team, .. im betting on the Rift.

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/03/11/valve-vr-leader-joins-oculus-randd-with-new-seattle-team/?ncid=rss_truncated

Third-party developers who have been given a prototype of the headset told Edge that Sony’s equipment is far superior to the current implementation of the Oculus Rift

"current implementation" So are they saying Crystal cove? This seems a little misleading.

Looks similar to the headset that Sony had on display and for demos at SDCC back in 2012. I didn't bother to get in line since it didn't appear to be compatible with glasses.

"current implementation" So are they saying Crystal cove? This seems a little misleading.

Of course not crystal cove. Most dev units out there are the original older one, I knew that statement was propaganda immediately.

In any case the Rift now has second mover advantage.

im curious about how sony solved some problems with (nausea, cost, non-perfect vision)) that oculus seemed to resolve. (Blank intervals, head tracking lag, resolution vs cost, lenses, etc)

Back