A Cheaper Version of Microsoft Office Is Coming Soon

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Microsoft may finally be getting the message that users don’t want to pay an arm and a leg for the use of Microsoft Office. MS will soon be offering Office 365 Personal for $70 bucks a year and can be installed on two devices simultaneously, but with some restrictions.

A Microsoft spokesperson explained that the key thing is that it won't be allowed to be installed on two PCs. One of the two devices has to have a touch screen.

$70 a year? Still absurdly expensive.

Not if you actually need and use it. People are willing to pay for MS Office because the content that's created with it is far more valuable than the price. If the documents that one creates aren't worth $70 a year, then sure, there are cheaper and free alternatives.

Or just obtain a .edu email and get 4 years of the same service for 80 bucks.

How about I just continue using MS Office 2010, which only had a one time purchase price, instead? :p

$10 Office 2013 Pro is not available for most people and Office 2013 H&S Edition ($129 list price) lacks Outlook.

You can buy legit copies of Office 2010 Professional Plus with media and license for around $60-$70 on eBay.

... and I mean the non-academic version on eBay for $60-$70.

Honestly I don't understand the price.

$25-$35 a year per personal account, or add a ms word, PowerPoint and excel package supported by ads each time you open a program. Will stem the piracy and monetize more revenue IMHO.

What ever...I'll stick with my $10 Office 2010 premium version I get from the Microsoft through work deal.

What ever...I'll stick with my $10 Office 2010 premium version I get from the Microsoft through work deal.

This very same deal applies to Office 2013, the link is in my prior post in this thread.

Feel bad for people who pay for office... and no, I don't steal it.

How about this Office 365 Personal cost $50 for ever or you can just go fly a kite MS:D
There are free alternatives like Apache Open Office, Libre Office that 100% Free:D

$10 Office 2013 Pro is not available for most people and Office 2013 H&S Edition ($129 list price) lacks Outlook.

You can buy legit copies of Office 2010 Professional Plus with media and license for around $60-$70 on eBay.

I think you mean you can buy illegal copies of legit copies Office 2010 on eBay.

*Coughs* Kingsoft office. But really if you don't use it often. (myself included) Why not use something similar? I have not found anything that I needed that MS Office has that Kingsoft doesn't have.

You get OneDrive storage (20GB for each user) and Skype minutes. I like it personally and I get to manager users. Good for a family.

Office 97 FTW.
All the office I ever have needed. Really I'm not doing large textbooks or manuscripts. Other than stuff being shuffled around to fit the 'flavor of the month' vision on how it should be organized, I'd be hard pressed to think of a major feature that was added that I used since '97.

I remember the good old days when Microsoft dumped its competition out of existence by making their office as easy to pirate as diskcopy. Can't beat free.

Microsoft actually offers a version of Outlook with the Exchange support removed branded as "Windows Live Mail". You don't really need Outlook for home use anyway, there are a lot of alternatives. $70/year for one device and one mandatory touchscreen device is way too much. That's what the home version should cost for a perpetual license.

For home use you only really need to upgrade Office when your new computer can't run the old copy. That could be once every 10 years. That means $700 vs $129 for home and student. Unless you're writing off your software subscription it doesn't make any sense.

For most people, Office can be over kill for sure,that is where alternatives can work fine, but once you really start using it, and using Excel for example, nothing comes close, OpenOIffice is a joke beyond basic office work.

it is the same people who think Gimp is an alternative to PhotoShop....

If you know how to really use the tool, and get the most out of it...it is worth every penny.

I never really have to use Office myself, but I ended up getting it for $10 when their system was bugged, and anyone with a Hotmail account could get the deal. I used Open Office in college, and it was annoying to get formatting issues when trying to move between a PC at school with Office and my home PC. For the amount I have to use the software now, any of the free alternatives would be perfectly fine, but it's definitely worth getting the real thing if you can get a good deal. Ends up saving you some minor headaches (like the formatting stuff). I'd never pay full price for it though.

If I needed an office suite a lot, I don't think I'd even bother with the free stuff, though.

It’s designed for an individual, allows for one PC or Mac and one tablet to be connected to the service and will be available for $69.99 USD/year or $6.99 USD/ month (ERP)1.

1Estimated Retail Price. Prices are determined by resellers.

I could possibly see where the yearly price is getting close to buying a full copy, but I would think that the monthly pricing is really the most enticing. If you required office for a project you could buy a month or two and get the job done for a pretty cheap price.

No matter what it's nice that there are so many different options to get Office. I can think of a few other vendors that I wish I had more options to get their software.

Microsoft may finally be getting the message that users don’t want to pay an arm and a leg for the use of Microsoft Office. MS will soon be offering Office 365 Personal for $70 bucks a year and can be installed on two devices simultaneously, but with some restrictions.

That is only cheap if you are moron. In 10 years that is $700.

I use Libre Office at home.

I use Office 2010 at work and despise it. The ribbon UI is a total mess.

I am sick of yearly this, and monthly that... and no its not cheap, a year is not that long, and I don't want to be checking in with your NSA approved servers every day. That being said .. this is the future of computing just as a big company does servers for your work terminal, so will MS and google do for your desktop and tablet...

Microsoft actually offers a version of Outlook with the Exchange support removed branded as "Windows Live Mail".
lol, no.

Windows Live Mail sucks. It's far less than Outlook with exchange connectivity disabled. Windows Live Mail is Windows Mail (previously named Outlook Express) + literally a few novelty features that most other email clients had for years.

If you only need a basic email client, WLM works fine, just like Outlook Express did for some people. The benefit of Outlook is not just Exchange connectivity.

It's hard to argue with freeware/open source alternatives. (OOo, Libre, Kingsoft)

Back