U.S. To Relinquish Remaining Control Over The Internet

HardOCP News

[H] News
Well...this sucks. At this point, I think we all just need to be optimistic and cross our fingers and hope for the best. :rolleyes:

U.S. officials announced plans Friday to relinquish federal government control over the administration of the Internet, a move likely to please international critics but alarm some business leaders and others who rely on smooth functioning of the Web.

Everything is relative. The US government might be considered bad but others are untrustworthily worse. Hope we don't have to deal with more issues like BGP hijacking intentionally or unintentionally.

Everything is relative. The US government might be considered bad but others are untrustworthily worse. Hope we don't have to deal with more issues like BGP hijacking intentionally or unintentionally.

Yup for all the furor over how the USA has spied on everyone...look how well the root structure of the internet has run since it has run. I'm not sure anyone else could do a better job, and I'm pretty sure most everyone else would do a worse job either individually or collectively.

According to all of the comments, it is all Obama's fault....cancer too. Whatever, not going to comment on politics at all but I will say that some people are taking scrapegoating to a religious level. Almost like bashing EA at this point.

Anyway, am I right to say that the real short explanation is that we have previously been in control of all web addresses. That being so, all internet traffic eventually filtered through the USA and we could see everything?

According to all of the comments, it is all Obama's fault....cancer too. Whatever, not going to comment on politics at all but I will say that some people are taking scrapegoating to a religious level. Almost like bashing EA at this point.

Anyway, am I right to say that the real short explanation is that we have previously been in control of all web addresses. That being so, all internet traffic eventually filtered through the USA and we could see everything?
Uhhh... exactly which comment placed the blame on Obama?

Looks like Europe the way things are going with Ukraine. Seems about prime time for the considering the government is mothballing the effective A10 warhogs designed to counter mass T-72s.

QUOTE]

Yeah, not going to "comment on politics" and then make a knee jerk defense of Obama, whom no one brought up.

However, since you did, it is Obama's fault.

Not surprising however, as the left has long believed the US is a force for evil in the world and needs a good black eye and to be "brought down to size".

Yes, and it will be chopped up by nation depending on who is in charge and censored, except here, where it will march on as it has.

QUOTE]

Yeah, not going to "comment on politics" and then make a knee jerk defense of Obama, whom no one brought up.

Not surprising however, as the left has long believed the US is a force for evil in the world and needs a good black eye and to be "brought down to size".

And watch the net be destroyed outside of the US.

Things I don't care about chapter 75.

lol

FFS I think anyone in the government now is doing more to hurt than help. In defense of nobody, I just think that it is a bit simplistic to blame one person for an entire systems failure. Off topic though and I am sorry to have mentioned it here.

Is this just another crippling blow to our country or is it actually neccesary for globsl harmony?

The UN is the worst possible candidate to control this. It gives more power to an organization that makes the DC and Wall Street corruption look like a child's game.

The UN is the worst possible candidate to control this. It gives more power to an organization that makes the DC and Wall Street corruption look like a child's game.

If you RTFA...the UN is not a candidate to take control of ICANN. If.

And I quote:

OP said:
The announcement essentially ruled out the possibility that the United Nations would take over the U.S. role, something many nations have advocated and U.S. officials have long opposed.

Is this just another crippling blow to our country or is it actually neccesary for globsl harmony?

Global harmony? We, all of us, are human - there will never be global harmony. Human nature dictates we must have conflict in some form, in your neighborhood, in your city, in your country, humans will always strive to "beat" someone else, in whatever fashion exist.
The "left" thinks everyone should be at the same level, all equal, those who have more should be reduced to the same level as those who have less. They don't think the Law of the Jungle applies to humans.

Are you ready to pay an extra $20/mo to access streaming video sites? An extra $50/mo for an extra 50GB on your monthly cap? It's coming, and nothing short of a series of EMP attacks against the telecom corporations will stop it.

Appreciate the document, by the sounds of it Verisign anyways only did this to be nice, so someone was supposed to take over the root server roll back in 2000 but never did?

Sure the U.S is evil but the internet has been solid, but it has had it's problems. I dont think anyone can claim any other country would do "worse" until we try, the internet need new life in it, maybe this could be it...

The body reliquishing control works for Obama. It isn't scapegoating going on. Its an attitude that he should be free of any accountability for anything.

The body reliquishing control works for Obama. It isn't scapegoating going on. Its an attitude that he should be free of any accountability for anything.

ICANN became a private non-profit in 1998....please define how a private non-profit corporation "works for Obama".

The "left" thinks everyone should be at the same level, all equal, those who have more should be reduced to the same level as those who have less. They don't think the Law of the Jungle applies to humans.
What a load of bullshit.

This. I've always been of the contention that corruption's very birthplace was either India or Pakistan.

Haha, my exact thought. Completely out of left field starts defending Obama but "won't comment on policitcs" :rolleyes:

This was coming for a long time, and had to happen.

OTOH, national intranets are coming... It's dead, Jim.

Yup for all the furor over how the USA has spied on everyone...look how well the root structure of the internet has run since it has run. I'm not sure anyone else could do a better job, and I'm pretty sure most everyone else would do a worse job either individually or collectively.

Bullshit

Look at the UN Human Rights Council member nations if you want a good idea how the UN will run the Internet. The UN Human Rights Council a bad joke it can't even find the worst human right violates on the planet, well they can find some of them they usually sit on the Council.

Bullshit

Look at the UN Human Rights Council member nations if you want a good idea how the UN will run the Internet. The UN Human Rights Council a bad joke it can't even find the worst human right violates on the planet, well they can find some of them they usually sit on the Council.

In the first fucking case. RTFA. The UN WILL NOT take over administration of ICANN. The UN running ICANN isn't even on the table, except in the minds of people who don't read the OP articles.

In the second case reread my post...you somehow read my post to mean the exact opposite of what it actually says.

The Panama Canal... the Internet... what else will the U.S. give up?

Carter gave away the Panama Canal.

And, in his effort to be come the worse president ever, Obama gives away the internet.

People who refuse to learn from history, are doomed to repeat it.

Bullshit

He was saying the U.S.A. can do a better job that anyone else... :eek:

And, in his effort to be come the worse president ever, Obama gives away the internet.

People who refuse to learn from history, are doomed to repeat it.

Yes because ICANN was incorporated as a private non-profit in 1998. Obama "gave away the internet".

Where the hell people invent this bullshit?

ugh! corruption...

Cant-tell-if-serious-.jpg

... in return for guaranteed neutrality of the zone to traffic and right to defend it against threats... pretty much the same functions the US was enforcing. Funniest thing is that the US agreed to transfer control of the Panama Canal in 1974, about 3 years before Carter took office. http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F70C16F7385C1A7A93CAA91789D85F408785F9

(For the history challenged, that was President Ford's administration which made the agreement to transfer the canal... and note that none of Carter, Reagan, HW Bush and Clinton pushed for scrapping the terms of the treaty which transferred control to Panama at the end of 1999.)

U.S. Agrees to Yield Sovereignty of Canal to Panama

By DAVID BINDER
February 08, 1974

[ DISPLAYING ABSTRACT ]
The United States and Panama today concluded an agreement on the principles that will guide the negotiation of a new Panama Canal treaty, eventually transferring sovereignty over the waterway to the Panamanians.

The reasons behind the 1974 treaty are fairly complex, so I won't bother summarizing all those things. To be brief, the consensus was that the US had a fairly weak claim to perpetual lease and control of the land since the agreements were made by unauthorized representatives and enforced by, well, force.

Global harmony? We, all of us, are human - there will never be global harmony. Human nature dictates we must have conflict in some form, in your neighborhood, in your city, in your country, humans will always strive to "beat" someone else, in whatever fashion exist.

It does, however one of the most important things that separates us from savage animals is our ability to actually reason. So trying to use said ability to overcome a social order that's no different then a pack of wolves fighting over a downed carcass isn't a foolish goal even if on occasion the methods used can be argued as such. :p

The Panama Canal... the Internet... what else will the U.S. give up?

Everything else apparently soon to come. I wonder if this is how the Romans felt in 408 A.D. when they finally opened the gates and let them sack the city after a long siege. Held out, then finally gave up. The US appears to be giving up things that make it exceptional to groups that are decidedly unexceptional.

Yes and no. You are right, that we could probably see everything, or at least anything we wanted to see. You are wrong in that it's because we controlled the addressing and all that. That is just a lookup type thing, it doesn't "direct" traffic through a place, it tells the source where to direct his traffic based on the target he asks for.

Well, we created the Internet, we managed it since it's creation, and now we will let it be managed by a committe of ignorant ass-wipe politicians, at least before it was in the hands of IT people.

internet hasnt been in the hands of I.T people for a very long time, it has been in the hands of greedy CEO's and media industries.

Back