AMD Radeon R9 270X and R9 270 Video Card Review

HardOCP News

[H] News
AMD Radeon R9 270X and R9 270 Video Card Review - We take a look at AMD's mid-range R9 270X and R9 270 with an MSI R9 270X GAMING and SAPPHIRE R9 270 Dual-X. We will make comparisons to NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 760 using a retail card which is within this range of AMD's GPUs. We will overclock all three video cards and put these head-to-head for the ultimate mid-range performance comparison.

Amazingly, I paid $200 for my 7870 in 2012 (I think it was 2012). Now it seems to be worth more than that. These cards are perfect for those of us running 1080p.

I've got an R9 270 that runs 1080p just great with most stuff on. I can't tell the difference between using this and a 290x in BF4 on Mantle. It's a smooth experience!

Got my sons 2 gigabyte R9 270x cards for $190 @microcenter he's been happy. Great review

I want to know more about how the 270x died from overclocking. Is this a common event in testing? I haven't killed a video card yet and push mine till textures corrupt then back off some more to be conservative. Any other thoughts on why the card went out? Afterburner too aggressive? Bad luck? Pushed too hard and got hot?

I want to know more about how the 270x died from overclocking. Is this a common event in testing? I haven't killed a video card yet and push mine till textures corrupt then back off some more to be conservative. Any other thoughts on why the card went out? Afterburner too aggressive? Bad luck? Pushed too hard and got hot?

"Died from overclocking" is a very subjective statement. The card might have been too hot for prolonged periods (85 degrees plus, VRMs included).

Got my 270x for under 200 on amazon a couple months ago (2014 still), and it's been rocking 2560x1600 HP 30" just fine. I had a 290x before, and sure I can't run the identical settings, but most are still on high, and with 30" I have no need for AA so it performs rather well, and looks great.

It's so nice Nvidia can ride AMD's "coat-tails" right now, because I don't believe Nvidia and their AIB's could stomach the GTX 760 (GK104) much below $230. If Litecoin wasn't on us AMD's strategy would be cutting Nvidia hard.

Got the PowerColor OC 270X for $190 like the 1-2 week of January, what a great card.

Interesting test. I see something really weird going on with the 270 results. When both the 270X and the 270 are overclocked, the difference should be no more than 6-7% - instead, it's 15-20%. Temperature throttling isn't very probable - is it possible that the 270 runs up against its power target? :confused:

HIS iPower IceQ X² Boost H270QM2G2M Radeon R9 270 for $159 at Newegg with free shipping.

Yeah. I ate that up real fast. Replacing my 7770.

Back