Facebook Cracking Down on Illegal Gun Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

HardOCP News

[H] News
I didn't know Facebook actually had a problem with illegal guns sales. Did you?

Facebook will delete posts where users declare a willingness to break the law, such as to sell a gun without a background check or transport it across U.S. state lines, the company said today in a blog post.

Naturally all the actual details are left out of the "article".

Facebook will delete posts where users declare a willingness to break the law, such as to sell a gun without a background check or transport it across U.S. state lines, the company said today in a blog post.

What do these two have anything to do with each other? I'm not the FBI, I can't go run background checks, and why would I be obligated to do so to sell a physical item I possess? I'm quite positive there are not any laws against me doing that, at least in the few places left in this world that are still free.

Actually you can run background checks through a NICS third party for something like $25/check.

It's hugely problematic and in Texas it's not a requirement for a private sale. Fortunately the feds haven't gotten a hold of that one yet... though they have tried.

I wonder what determines an "illegal" sale of a firearm between two private individuals?

sales of firearms between private parties is not illegal in most of the country, as much as Mayors against illegal guns would like all guns sale and ownership to be illegal

Oh, you are so awesome Facebook! Cracking down on something that isn't illegal in the first place in almost every state and county!!!

People are so fucking stupid it's annoying.

Headline could alternatively read:

"Facebook sheds users after making bid to please Progressive* Masters"

*Progressive only in terms of progressing the eventual takeover and removal of everyone's individual rights in order to form a more perfect state-governed society

Is Facebook going to be cracking down on other illegal activity posted on their site? For example, deleting posts boasting about underage drinking, using illegal drugs, etc.?

Inquiring minds, and all that.

When they say "illegal" they really just mean they want to harass legal gun owners and sellers.

Same way Mayors Against Illegal Guns is focused SOLELY on "illegal guns".

Yeah right . . . . . and just the other day, I met the Tooth Fairy, Santa Claus, and the Easter Bunny for lunch!

Is Facebook going to be cracking down on other illegal activity posted on their site? For example, deleting posts boasting about underage drinking, using illegal drugs, etc.?

Inquiring minds, and all that.

Selective censorship and all that.

Liberals encourage those things and put it in the category of "experimenting" and "harmless" :p

*Progressive only in terms of progressing the eventual takeover and removal of everyone's individual rights in order to form a more perfect state-governed society

I think your tinfoil hat is on a little tight

Liberals encourage those things and put it in the category of "experimenting" and "harmless" :p

And we end up paying for it with lifelong welfare payments, and they get votes to continue and/or expand said payments.

Liberalism - The Ideology of Unintended Consequences

This is pretty much spot on. Progressives define freedom as taking away all your liberties and freedoms in the name of "progress" and they then define freedom as leaving you with only the freedom to obey.

If you have nothing left but the freedom to obey, according to progressives, only then are you truly free.

Remember, freedom is slavery.

First they came for the gun owners, and I did not speak out-- Because I was not a gun owner.

Then they came for the Conservatives and I did not speak out-- Because I was not a Conservative.

Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out-- Because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me.

Sounds about right.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh since when do you need a background check to sell a gun privately? Facebook is censoring legal trade? Wonderful.

Oh, have they come for you? Let me know what they look like so I can keep an eye out.

Everyday!

According to the progressive dogma, I should not be associated with because I:

1. Hate Women
2. Hate anyone who isn't Caucasian
3. Want to stop the murder of innocent children to protect lifestyles
4. Want to lynch anyone who isn't Caucasian
5. Believe in a fake omnipotent being
6. Question man-made global warming hysteria
7. Believe the 2nd Amendment protects invidividual ownership of guns
8. Believe if you fail at life, I shouldn't give you a handout instead of a hand-up
9. Want to stop illegal immigration
10. Know raising the minimum wage costs jobs
11. Oppose universal healthcare
12. Promote individual responsibility
13. Want a flat tax
14. Pray
15. Keep my disabled son out of the abusive public school system and homeschool him instead
16. Would arrest and deport illegal aliens
17. Think drugs are bad for you
18. Didn't vote for Obama (twice!)

Everyday!

In case you couldn't figure it out, I'm... the... C-world... But please don't tell anyone or they won't let me into Seattle to go to the Orchestra or any of the Museums (Museum of Flight is my favorite).

Ahhh the horror, I almost said it. :rolleyes:

Everyday!

1. Hate Women
2. Hate anyone who isn't Caucasian
3. Want to stop the murder of innocent children to protect lifestyles
4. Want to lynch anyone who isn't Caucasian
5. Believe in a fake omnipotent being
6. Question man-made global warming hysteria
7. Believe the 2nd Amendment protects invidividual ownership of guns
8. Believe if you fail at life, I shouldn't give you a handout instead of a hand-up
9. Want to stop illegal immigration
10. Know raising the minimum wage costs jobs
11. Oppose universal healthcare
12. Promote individual responsibility
13. Want a flat tax
14. Pray
15. Keep my disabled son out of the abusive public school system and homeschool him instead
16. Would arrest and deport illegal aliens
17. Think drugs are bad for you
18. Didn't vote for Obama (twice!)

I'm confused as to whether this is a straw man or a list of your actual positions on issues. Poe's law maybe?

I'm confused as to whether this is a straw man or a list of your actual positions on issues. Poe's law maybe?

More like a combination of both... it started as a list of the straw man arguments made against us off-worlders but became a list of positions and actions.

More like a combination of both... it started as a list of the straw man arguments made against us off-worlders but became a list of positions and actions.

You don't see a problem with the fact that it's almost impossible to tell the difference?

You don't see a problem with the fact that it's almost impossible to tell the difference?

Wow... really? If you actually believe that as a human being I hate women, people with different colored skin, and want people to die because they are different than me your cognitive dissonance enhancer is set to overdrive. Remember that dogma I mentioned in an earlier post?

I guess I kinda walked into that one by putting it all on the same list though, eh? Next time I'll be sure to list it appropriately, then alphabetize and catalog it according to source to allow feeble minds to comprehend it. ;)

We should just ignore eachother maverikv, we always end up going back and forth in politically-sensitive threads... :p

This whole guns thing is a sticky issue. Some places on the planet aren't really very well controlled by law enforcement and maybe they'd be important to keep someone safe. In places like the US, they're pretty much not necessary since we have a reasonably safe nation. I forget which state it was that recently got rid of background checks for sales of guns and the number of crimes that involved guns went up significantly. It just seems like most people aren't responsible enough to own them, sell them, or pretty much do anything with them and it's sad that we still have to live in a place where anyone who suddenly decides to snap or just get upset can easily get access to something that can kill people from a distance. Even worse are the children that get a gun from an adult as they don't have even the limited amount of self control that an adult does (even an adult that makes a choice to own a gun) and they go on killing sprees that shatter families and leave lives a mess.

This whole guns thing is a sticky issue. Some places on the planet aren't really very well controlled by law enforcement and maybe they'd be important to keep someone safe. In places like the US, they're pretty much not necessary since we have a reasonably safe nation. I forget which state it was that recently got rid of background checks for sales of guns and the number of crimes that involved guns went up significantly. It just seems like most people aren't responsible enough to own them, sell them, or pretty much do anything with them and it's sad that we still have to live in a place where anyone who suddenly decides to snap or just get upset can easily get access to something that can kill people from a distance. Even worse are the children that get a gun from an adult as they don't have even the limited amount of self control that an adult does (even an adult that makes a choice to own a gun) and they go on killing sprees that shatter families and leave lives a mess.

Please read this excellent article about the differences in reality between rhetoric/media coverage and the truth:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larrybe...alities-as-gun-sales-soar-gun-crimes-plummet/

Sounds pretty sensationalist, got any citations or proof?

Background checks are required regardless of state when buying from a firearms dealer, however a lot of states do not require checks for long guns, which are not statistically used in a lot of crimes. The last year I looked at crime stats, only 323 Americans were killed that year by rifles of ANY type.

If what you say is true and people are not responsible, then how do you want to explain how there are 300ish MILLION guns in private hands and yet how do you explain there being only 9,000 murders a year by gun In a society with 335 million people in it?

9,000 deaths is a small price to pay to have the freedom to own a gun. Now that isn't the politically correct thing to say, but it's true.

Please read this excellent article about the differences in reality between rhetoric/media coverage and the truth:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larrybe...alities-as-gun-sales-soar-gun-crimes-plummet/

Pulled from the article in case you don't want to read it:

Pew researchers observed that the huge amount of attention devoted to gun violence incidents in the media has caused most Americans to be unaware that gun crime is “strikingly down” from 20 years ago. In fact, gun-related homicides in the late 2000s were “equal to those not seen since the early 1960s.” Yet their survey found that 56 percent believed gun-related crime is higher, 26 percent believed it stayed about the same, and 6 percent didn’t know. Only 12 percent of those polled thought it was lower.

Those gun crime rates certainly aren’t diminishing for lack of supply…at least not for law-abiding legal buyers. Last December, the FBI recorded a record number of 2.78 million background checks for purchases that month, surpassing a 2.01 million mark set the month before by about 39 percent. That December 2012 figure, in turn, was up 49 percent from a previous record on that month the year before. FBI checks for all of 2012 totaled 19.6 million, an annual record, and an increase of 19

Sounds pretty sensationalist, got any citations or proof?

Background checks are required regardless of state when buying from a firearms dealer, however a lot of states do not require checks for long guns, which are not statistically used in a lot of crimes. The last year I looked at crime stats, only 323 Americans were killed that year by rifles of ANY type.

If what you say is true and people are not responsible, then how do you want to explain how there are 300ish MILLION guns in private hands and yet how do you explain there being only 9,000 murders a year by gun In a society with 335 million people in it?

9,000 deaths is a small price to pay to have the freedom to own a gun. Now that isn't the politically correct thing to say, but it's true.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/soci...-after-missouri-repealed-background-check-law

Also...you do you have loved ones you care about? Are their deaths worth someone having a gun so they can shoot at pieces of paper or animals they don't really need to eat to survive? When you lose someone you care very much about to someone with a gun, even one death might feel like too high of a price. But I don't expect empathy from the internet.

TONS of groups on facebook that are about selling and trading guns, ammo, etc.

I sold two guns locally through one and bought a bunch of ammo.

I'd honestly be surprised if anyone tried to sell a gun on there illegally, unless of course the seller is some thug idiot, otherwise it isn't illegal to try and find a buyer on there so long as the transaction complies with state law (i.e. through an FFL where required).

Also...you do you have loved ones you care about? Are their deaths worth someone having a gun so they can shoot at pieces of paper or animals they don't really need to eat to survive? When you lose someone you care very much about to someone with a gun, even one death might feel like too high of a price. But I don't expect empathy from the internet.

I don't think that making policy based on emotions and the concept of "if it saves just one life!!!" is sound policy.

Hitler was shown in gun control propaganda surrounded by children and he convinced the Germans that giving up their guns to "save the children" was the best idea.

Empathy is a wasted emotion. Cold hard facts and logic are better. We are better served having guns in the hands of citizens than not.

lol i seen someone post an image on facebook stating that facebook was going to crack down on profanity, too. lulz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back