A State-by-State Look At Who Controls The Internet

Yeah, won't that run afoul of anti-trust legislation? It'll be a bigger area than the Baby Bells when Ma Bell was broken up.

Hopefully this new guy at the FCC puts a stop to this merger. I hear he used to be a lobbyist for big internet companies haha.

Yeah, won't that run afoul of anti-trust legislation? It'll be a bigger area than the Baby Bells when Ma Bell was broken up.

Since Comcast and Time Warner didn't compete against each other, it likely won't be affected by anti-trust. Both are still competing against AT&T, Verizon, and other phone companies, as well as a few city-run systems and Google Fiber.

Comcast is really expanding its footprint rather than eliminating competition.

Far more ISP names than I had ever even heard of on that map. However you can clearly see 3-4 of them monopolizing a lot of the country on a state-by-state basis.

26 out of 51 states once the merger is done, if it gets approved. I wonder how many other states that they are close to being the dominant provider in and will eventually become the main provider as they continue to expand?

That map is going to be so outdated in the very near future.

At least, it doesn't look like this (not yet)..

china.jpg

I've had:

AT&T Roadrunner (in Massachusetts, first broadband back in ~2001)
COX Communications (in Rhode Island)
Comcast (in Massachusetts); and
Verizon FiOS (in Massachusetts)

IMHO, they all sucked in one way or another, but FiOS sucked a whole lot less than any of the others.

Verizon's FiOS clearly is the superior service, but their customer service departments leave something to be desired. It took me 5 months of calling support and providing traceroutes over a sudden, horrible ping, to convince them one of their edge routers was on the fritz and needed fixing. It was very frustrating.

Other than that experience though, FiOS was smooth sailing and the most consistent of them all.

Their argument is that it doesn't impede competition, as they essentially don't operate in any of the same markets, so by merging there won't be any markets where competition is reduced.

I'm not sure if that will be a successful argument, but that is what t is.

Reminds me of scenes if movies where all the mob bosses would get together and stake claim to territories.

I actually hope the merger goes through, but as a caveat, The new company has to open up the last mile to any competition that is will to use the last mile to provide service. That is what would really help. Look at area's that Google has service offering. All of a sudden increase service levels at lower prices.

Since Comcast and Time Warner didn't compete against each other, it likely won't be affected by anti-trust. Both are still competing against AT&T, Verizon, and other phone companies, as well as a few city-run systems and Google Fiber.

Comcast is really expanding its footprint rather than eliminating competition.

^This. That map is interesting, but if you read the article they even say it doesn't tell the whole story. That map only shows who has the largest market share, not the only option in those states. For reference, look at the maps where they show the shades of red. That gives you a better indicator of just how much market share / competition they face in those states.

One of the reasons Comcast wants the merger is that they had been losing a lot of ground to FIOS. It forced them to change a lot of their business model. The funny thing here is that Comcast essentially used to have monopolies wherever they were at, since the only thing that really competed with them was dial-up or DSL. When you could package your cable and internet, it really boosted their control. They lost quite a bit of market share and control when FIOS came around. Just look at MD, VA, NJ, all of which used to be dominated by Comcast.

Sorry Map is inaccurate Comcast has more Jersey then Verizon does they have only been there for the past 5 years.

there seems to be error in that pic . Long Island NY is cablevision not timewarner

There is no such thing as anti-trust any more. Big companies own the government and can freely dictate what they want the laws to be.

Odd that the map says Time Warner controls south carolina cable. I live in the Upstate its a large metro area and Charter is here. I have family spread out through the state and I have never heard anything about twc. Charter offers 60 mbps here for $55 a month when bundled.

Odd that the map says Time Warner controls south carolina cable. I live in the Upstate its a large metro area and Charter is here. I have family spread out through the state and I have never heard anything about twc. Charter offers 60 mbps here for $55 a month when bundled.

dam my charter is 40mbps for $75 a month how ever theirs only charter or dsl.

Cablevision. Enough said. TWC wins in NY, but Cablevision is more then competitive.

its some business thing. I see commercials for it all the time. I am happy with 25 mbps I already have so I dont actually have it.

Midcontinent Communications $48.37/mo 30/5 internet. No cap.

Going to suck when the little guys get swallowed up.

The graphic can be a bit misleading. It simply shows the biggest provider in each state. Mass, for example, Comcast is the biggest, but it's definitely not the only game in town. FIOS is available in much of the state. It's just not the biggest. My Neighborhood has had FIOS for several years but the majority of it still uses Comcast for internet. It's easy to see who has FIOS when I go out for a walk around the area.

The graphic can be a bit misleading. It simply shows the biggest provider in each state. Mass, for example, Comcast is the biggest, but it's definitely not the only game in town. FIOS is available in much of the state. It's just not the biggest. My Neighborhood has had FIOS for several years but the majority of it still uses Comcast for internet. It's easy to see who has FIOS when I go out for a walk around the area.

Exactly. Even their later graphic makes it clear that Comcast is hardly the only player in places like California, etc and that there are already many different ISPs that provide service in those states. Yet in all of the "OMG look how much of the US Comcast will control!!!" graphics it represents California as if Comcast had some sort of monopoly over the whole state with no competition.

^This. That map is interesting, but if you read the article they even say it doesn't tell the whole story. That map only shows who has the largest market share, not the only option in those states. For reference, look at the maps where they show the shades of red. That gives you a better indicator of just how much market share / competition they face in those states.

One of the reasons Comcast wants the merger is that they had been losing a lot of ground to FIOS. It forced them to change a lot of their business model. The funny thing here is that Comcast essentially used to have monopolies wherever they were at, since the only thing that really competed with them was dial-up or DSL. When you could package your cable and internet, it really boosted their control. They lost quite a bit of market share and control when FIOS came around. Just look at MD, VA, NJ, all of which used to be dominated by Comcast.

I don't know about you, but living in Virginia Beach, Virginia, I've never been able to get Comcast; it's all Cox in Hampton Roads (except for Chesapeake) which is the largest Metro area in Virginia (Northern Virginia is part of DC Metro area, and we're twice the size of Richmond, at ~1.6 million), almost a quarter of the state population. And while we've had Cox High Speed Internet in my particular area since 2000, we ONLY get Cox. No FiOS on offer where I live, though my parents who live 18 miles away (but still in Virginia Beach) have FiOS and Cox to their front door; bizarre, the neighborhood they live in was built in the late 1960s, and the average age of people living there (including the kids) is still north of 50, but they have it all. Average age of folks in my neighborhood built in the late 1980s is about 30 (and I substantially raise that) and yet we've only got decade old Cable internet.

Hopefully the places Google Fiber is available starts increasing faster.

Wow how bad are the cable companies in the areas that have a majority of Telco coverage.

I wish I could still get Charter. Th They monitor your activity and aren't a fan of Pirate Bay.... ATT that I have now is just your crappy generic connection.

Hopefully the places Google Fiber is available starts increasing faster.

Highly doubt it will ever be outside select big cities. Its more a proof of concept type of thing .

I wish I could still get Charter. Th They monitor your activity and aren't a fan of Pirate Bay.... ATT that I have now is just your crappy generic connection.

That doesn't make sense. You want Charter, but they monitor your activity, but you don't like ATT. What? Also I haven't had problems with Charter, but I don't do heavy torrenting.

I have a feeling the deal is going to go through. Customer service and tech support for time warner in los angeles are saying that comcast already owns time warner...

That doesn't make sense. You want Charter, but they monitor your activity, but you don't like ATT. What? Also I haven't had problems with Charter, but I don't do heavy torrenting.

Charter had better speeds for the cost than AT&T but I kept getting letters in the mail. Att let's you do whatever, but it's slower and pricier.

Image is lacking backbone providers. When Cogent is having a bad day EVERYONE is having a bad day.

Surprised at Verizon ruling VA and not Comcrap. I've lived in 3 different locations in central VA, and Fios was not available at any of them. May as well mark VA down for Comcast in my book.

The chart simply indicates the largest ISP in each state--not the only ISP in each state...! I'm in a "Comcast" state, but just severed ISP service from AT&T and signed up with a local Cogent ISP--and I'm loving my 50-90Mb/ps down (and up)--it averages 50Mb/ps most of the time--for less money per month than local Comcast/AT&T charge for 6Mb/ps down (and nearly nothing up.) Better service is out there if you look for it, and especially if you live near or in a major metropolitan area.

It's funny how in Georgia, Cox Cable is HQ'ed there, but AT&T owns the state. lulz.

Back