Analyst Expect PC Shipments To Decline Through 2018

HardOCP News

[H] News
Analyst predict doom and gloom for the foreseeable future. Then again, professional guessers ALWAYS predict doom and gloom. ;)

Worldwide PC shipments fell by -9.8% in 2013, slightly better than a projected decline of -10.1%, but still the most severe contraction on record, according to the International Data Corporation (IDC) Worldwide Quarterly PC Tracker. Fourth quarter results were slightly better than expected, but the outlook for emerging markets has deteriorated as competition from other devices and economic pressures mount.

Buy a new computer today! Get a complicated operating system and an overpriced processor that doesn't perform much better than those released in 2011!

Hmm, I wonder why sales are falling...

By 2018 I expect most PC workstations to be replaced by Star Trek type of panels. It's the future! Only problem is - they tend to explode a lot because they're powered by plasma or something. Good thing they only kill ensigns you've never seen before.

What will they surprise us next? That book sales will decline even further?

In other news, microwave ovens continue to decline in sales..... well, I have no idea but they have declined in the last decade.

Really though, for the average user there's A. other alternatives B. Machines from 5 years ago are powerful enough to do everyday tasks. Why buy a new one? The industry is just gonna have to adapt to the times or invent something new we can't live without and don't already have....

I'm not going to click on the link but I believe they are making the same claim on the traditional desktop. Which yes, will decline, but ultra portables and x86 laptops will more than likely do just fine, especially with how well intel is pushing that segment.

They must be talking about pre-built because I've custom built three within the last year for personal use.

Since when did analysts become fortune tellers? I can't think of more useless people on wall street

Of course tablets and smartphones will continue to grow. So computers are still getting more popular, just the form factor has changed.

Of course tablets and smartphones will continue to grow. So computers are still getting more popular, just the form factor has changed.

This is kind of an odd statement coming from someone that's clearly not a fan of Windows 8 since perhaps the biggest argument against Windows 8 from opponent is that a PC is not a tablet or smart phone. I agree with you in that computing devices are getting more popular but the growth certainly isn't around conventional productivity purposes often associated with conventional PCs.

Buy a new computer today! Get a complicated operating system and an overpriced processor that doesn't perform much better than those released in 2011!

Hmm, I wonder why sales are falling...

Yep. We need technology that mentally limited people will buy so the people that can actually make that technology will maintain their financial position. If you think that a smart phone and tablet are actually increasing your bottom line...I have to laugh.

People understand less about technology than even a decade ago even though they use more of it. Sorry, but the second industrial revolution is on its way and it doesn't really include humans in the mix. If you can't understand how incredible scary that is...then there is no point.

I blame it on windows 8 making the pc nothing more than a giant tablet

so standalone Personal Computers declining, on the other hand everything else manufactured in the world now has a computer in it. Sounds logical

They must be talking about pre-built because I've custom built three within the last year for personal use.

We don't count. 1% of the population building custom pcs don't make a dent in the market.

Most people are moving toward other devices. People buy laptops since they are portable when they need a "real" computer to do work on. Students can take them to class and always have their work with them. Business people can travel with them and have all their stuff with them. you can move them around the house... Some people even realized that they don't need a real pc and that they just want to surf the web and play a few simple games so they can go with a ipad or some other tablet.

It is like cameras. film is better than digital but digital cameras won out. We kept getting better and better digital cameras even though after awhile the difference between MP between one camera and the next was meaningless for the average person. just like PCs keep getting more and more powerful but the use by the average person makes that meaningless. For somebody playing on facebook and sending emails a dual core machine with 2GB of ram isn't going to be that much different than a quad core with 32GB. Then cell phones started having camera and people realized that they were content with going from that 20MP digital camera down to a 2 or 3MP camera. Just like they are willing to go down to the slower and more portable device. All because of it being more convenient for them.

A few of us care about PCs and having nicer parts than the average person just like some care about having film based or at least higher end digital cameras. But that doesn't make us the norm and doesn't relate to how everyone else is.

Back