Nintendo Dropping Online Support for Some Wii, DS Games

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Come May 20th, Nintendo will be discontinuing services for many of its Wii, Nintendo DS, and DSi games and focusing more on Wii U and Nintendo 3DS development.

"We at Nintendo sincerely thank our fans for their continued support of our company's legacy systems," the game maker said. "Your enthusiasm for games made for these systems speaks to their longevity, and the passion of Nintendo fans."

Can't wait for them cloud based games, when companies can just disable the games features, cause why not amiright? Sorry, the games too old. Maybe if you're lucky we'll rerelease it with better graphics and a bigger price tag. Thank you, come again.

No games to old for certain individuals as one might like donkey kong with SNES graphics or the regular Mario bros on NES with the same graphics to get the good time feeling back. Let's all agree to disagree on some prospective's. Check ya later <work>

I mean to be fair I can't login to old pc games. Is it breaking the single player function? Or just the multiplayer function. If I have a digital game is it the same? To sum up the word vomit, single player shouldn't be killed off just multiplayer. Does playing single player games require any action by Nintendo?

Tetris DS is a classic.
Makes me sad that I'll won't be able to play it online anymore, but oh well. I played it enough in the last 5 years.... Still sucks. They are killing MarioKart DS too, so that really sucks.

Can't wait for them cloud based games, when companies can just disable the games features, cause why not amiright? Sorry, the games too old. Maybe if you're lucky we'll rerelease it with better graphics and a bigger price tag. Thank you, come again.
It's one thing I hate.

For example: My friends and I enjoyed Sword of the Stars-- the first one, not the buggy sequel. Then, they turned off the servers.

We can't even connect to a multiplayer match via Tunngle.

It would be great if these multiplayer servers were decentralized and wasn't controlled by the developers/game publishers. It really sucks seeing games you enjoyed playing online suddenly get turned off just because it's "too old" or "no longer generating revenue".

Not Clubhouse games!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

I guess what we should be mindful of is that the 360 and ps3 will be in the same boat next year? Plus simcity still isn't playable and the servers are up :p

Haha, you make a very good point.

How far behind are Sony and Microsoft? Maybe a year considering how much earlier the wiiu was released.
Honestly and this is just speculation but couldn't Microsoft drum up more xbox support by discontinuing a few games? I'm not saying Sony wouldn't/won't do the same thing but right now I think Microsoft needs to garner some positive sales. Although the consumer backlash might be too great.

I guess what we should be mindful of is that the 360 and ps3 will be in the same boat next year?
Nintendo is killing Wii/DS online services because supporting them was getting them no new money. Both 360 and PS3 still generate income via their online services and big games are still being released for them. For example, I'll be playing Titanfall on the 360 because it looks like a lot of fun and neither the PS4 nor the Xbox One has reached the point where I'm ready to spend the money (that could change this coming autumn).

How far behind are Sony and Microsoft? Maybe a year considering how much earlier the wiiu was released.
Honestly and this is just speculation but couldn't Microsoft drum up more xbox support by discontinuing a few games? I'm not saying Sony wouldn't/won't do the same thing but right now I think Microsoft needs to garner some positive sales. Although the consumer backlash might be too great.

Maybe I'm misremembering, but xbox live gets cash inflow from both the gamers and the content creators. I suspect support will exist as long as that can be kept profitable, and I suspect if they are smart, from the back end the service for 360 vs one isn't a totally separate thing. I suspect the weak link is the developer wishing ot continue the support of the game.

PS3 on the other hand has a free service, and other than taking a cut of the playstation store sales, I don't see how they make that much money unless playstation plus is way more successful than it seemed to be. IF they make the infrastructure serve both ps3 and ps4, the future is a bit more rosey, if not, I see it being more vulnerable.

Back