Amazon Adding Music Streaming To Prime?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Hmmm, adding music streaming to Prime would go a long way towards making members feel better about that rumored price increase.

Amazon gives away movies and TV shows to people who join its Amazon Prime subscription service. When will it start giving away music, too? Maybe this year. People have been predicting that Amazon would offer a Spotify-like music subscription service, most likely bundled with its Prime delivery option, for some time. But industry sources say Amazon is now engaged in more serious talks with big music labels about making that happen.

I'd prefer a lower price increase without a bunch of music I can easily find on Youtube for free.

I would actually prefer they buy one of the other providers ... I currently maintain a Pandora subscription and would love to see Amazon absorb Pandora instead

I just want the fast shipping. I wish they'd separate that from this streaming video and/or music if they include it.

I just want the fast shipping. I wish they'd separate that from this streaming video and/or music if they include it.

This. I don't use the video service now as I prefer Netflix. And I already pay for Spotify, so this would likely be another wasted service.

They won't make any money with a la carte options. It's a buyer's club. You're either in, or you aren't.

Yea no..why on earth would I pay for streaming music when I can get whatever I want free? Prime's current price with streaming is worth it, the new price just isn't unless they increase the amount of movies/Tv that are free with price by ALOT.

There are already plenty of music streaming services. I don't think Amazon could really bring anything new to the table. Especially enough to make people accept a $40 price increase. For that price they really need to get a lot more video content available under Prime and start making their app available on everything with, or that connects to, a screen.

I have a hard time complaining about an Amazon Prime price increase seeing as how if I didn't pay for Amazon Prime I'd be paying hundreds of dollars more a year in shipping.

How about streaming on video on Android devices? It's the only reason I haven't gotten rid of my buggy ass KFHD. That, along with a music service in the same app would be killer!

I have a hard time complaining about an Amazon Prime price increase seeing as how if I didn't pay for Amazon Prime I'd be paying hundreds of dollars more a year in shipping.

So you're saying you would just buy 2 day shipping everytime instead of just getting their free shipping which is marginally worse? I mean prime is nice and all but hundreds of dollars savings?

If Amazon increases the price of it's Prime service I will not be getting it again. I don't even watch Instang Videos with the fact that trying to watch the movies/videos is a PITA through XBMC. Therefore, I don't even use it.

Even the 2-day shipping is almost not worth it since most things I need I order ahead of time anyway.

Actually I think I might cancel it anyway.

I just asked them if a Prime membership is required for the subscribe and save feature of Amazon and since it's not I can say that I wont be renewing my subscription. Not worth it.

I have amazon prime but haven't been following the news too closely yet. The last 2 months I just started using prime video more, starting to have a better selection than netflix IMO. I use spotify currently most of the time for music, but their "radio" stations you make suck donkey balls, they play like 20 songs repeatedly. No matter how much I thumbs up or thumbs down stuff, if I've thumbs down a song 5-10x, why the fuck are you still playing it for me? So if amazon could do that better I'd switch. As long as the price is right.. I'm currently on student amazon, have they talked about how much of an increase it will be for those on it as well?

I have amazon prime but haven't been following the news too closely yet. The last 2 months I just started using prime video more, starting to have a better selection than netflix IMO. I use spotify currently most of the time for music, but their "radio" stations you make suck donkey balls, they play like 20 songs repeatedly. No matter how much I thumbs up or thumbs down stuff, if I've thumbs down a song 5-10x, why the fuck are you still playing it for me? So if amazon could do that better I'd switch. As long as the price is right.. I'm currently on student amazon, have they talked about how much of an increase it will be for those on it as well?

Their movie selection is definitely better than netflix, ESPECIALLY on the streaming side. I for one cant understand why not a single online digital store has adopted .flac files, it leaves the only option to get lossless files as pirating.

Amazon may have a better selection however I find the presentation much worse than Netflix. Also the PS4 client sometimes feels like it is full of land mines trying to get you to pay for content. I like how Netflix is only free ($8/month) content and I can watch anything without a concern.

Pandora isn't much different. Except it's also trying to become Last.fm too.

By that I mean, if you make a station for a particular band, no matter how many thumbs up you give that band's songs, they will still play everything but the band. This is on top of the same songs repeatedly being played.

Stuff like that is why I'm glad I haven't put a dime into Pandora.

Amazon may have a better selection however I find the presentation much worse than Netflix. Also the PS4 client sometimes feels like it is full of land mines trying to get you to pay for content. I like how Netflix is only free ($8/month) content and I can watch anything without a concern.

Yea that is one of my chief complaints about amazon. I use both it and Netflix. The other being that if I start a season, it won't keep going until I stop it. Even when Netflix stops it takes tap of the button to get it in the next episode. Amazon makes that process a bit of a pita. Both of those and the selection would have to be increased drastically before I will r pay the increase. With NY forcing me to pay taxes, it's value is less attractive.

Amazon's streaming interface sucks. Not as bad as hulu but still much worse than Netflix.

Frankly, their selection also sucks.

I want the shipping thing only although I haven't used that in the last month since Amazon started collecting sales tax in my state.

I have Prime. Also pay for Slacker Radio ($4/mo). I'd be okay with a less than $48 increase in Prime per year if it adds a GOOD audio streaming service.

Amazon has taken their Video service a long way on their own devices; on PCs, their videos service is kinda junky (in appearance and delivery of suggested content). I just hope they are smart about this, and don't gimp this rumored audio streaming on non-Amazon devices.

They really need to tier the the Prime program at this point. I could give a care less about music streaming. I just do not listen to enough music to care, and what little music I do listen to I just use Songza or my local content. I don't use them for video either although a friend does so we go in together on the price of Prime. He uses he main account and just sends me the email invite for prime shipping. I suppose we'll still pop for Prime if they raise the price but i can see a lot of people not doing so. They really need to think about what they are doing.

Amazon Prime won't be that great of a value to me at $119, unless the music streaming beats XBOX Music (I actually still have the Zune Pass), in music selection (it beats Sony which I tried late last year for a couple of months), ease of use, device compatibility, must be able to cache music locally for offline listening, and their device player should have store access (Xbox Music on Android doesn't actually give you a storefront, just a player/music manager).

if they make it an iTunes Match type service I would be interested. Sync with my music folder/iTunes on my desktop, sync playlists, tags, upload newly added music.

Their movie selection is definitely better than netflix, ESPECIALLY on the streaming side. I for one cant understand why not a single online digital store has adopted .flac files, it leaves the only option to get lossless files as pirating.

Bandcamp does for bands that wish to go through the effort. For the most part, I just buy CDs, rip them, and store them. IT's getting so the average CD is $10 and has 11-12 songs. Unless you shop for single tracks only, then I can see the lack of options financially speaking.

I can't see this replacing Spotify. Not with all the licensing hurdles they've been over (Zeppelin and Floyd stand out to me specifically.)

Back