BlackBerry CEO: I Would Take $19B For BBM

HardOCP News

[H] News
This is kind of a dumb thing to say ... OF COURSE you would take $19B for BBM. He'd be an idiot not to take that kind of cash.

With regards to BBM - which has around 85 million active users, compared to WhatsApp's 450 million-plus - Chen said: "I work for the shareholder. Standard answer. If somebody comes to me with $19 billion, I would definitely sell it. I would recommend to the board to take it."

Lets compare the two user profiles. WhatsApp haas 450 million YOUNG users with loose pockets that are willing to spend money. BBM has 85 million OLD users who are corporate big wigs with pockets so tight, they could turn coal into a diamond and there only reason for STILL using BBM is they dont have time to learn a new phone system, or dont want to buy one. So what user group do you think is more attractive from a marketing standpoint?

Lets compare the two user profiles. WhatsApp haas 450 million YOUNG users with loose pockets that are willing to spend money. BBM has 85 million OLD users who are corporate big wigs with pockets so tight, they could turn coal into a diamond and there only reason for STILL using BBM is they dont have time to learn a new phone system, or dont want to buy one. So what user group do you think is more attractive from a marketing standpoint?

The latest BB OS is a lot different from the BB OS that was around before it. They've changed the UI like a ton of things over the course of the last 6 years. So people who stick with them are having to learn a new phone system if they upgrade their handsets.

Considering their market cap is about $5.5B, yeah, they would definitely be idiots to not take that deal.

Not to nitpick but BBM has actual paying customers...

This is actually the problem for BBM. They have a finite amount of money they can get out of their customers. And it's not like they're growing their customer base.

Whereas, Facebook can now sell ads to a multitude of companies for Whatsapp to reach 450+ million people. There is an untold amount of money to make there. The only problem is, many people are jumping to Telegram or similar apps, because Facebook doesn't give a sh** about privacy.

The latest BB OS is a lot different from the BB OS that was around before it. They've changed the UI like a ton of things over the course of the last 6 years. So people who stick with them are having to learn a new phone system if they upgrade their handsets.

Thats sort of BB's main problem. The old die-hard fans are keeping there 5500's or whatever since they know it (if it aint broke, why fix it mentality). Nobody is really buying the new BB OS!

BB is zombie roaming the countryside waiting for somebody to headshot it. Can't believe it still walks.

Of course he'd take $19B for it.
Because the company isn't even worth $19 (Canadian) right now.

Of course he'd take $19B for it.
Because the company isn't even worth $19 (Canadian) right now.

I think if you recycled all their computers and phones they have sitting around the office you could at least get $19 for everything.

Plus physical assets, a significant amount of intellectual property, and lots of experienced employees.

You still need cash to keeps the lights on to those assets and you need money to pay those experienced employees.

I'd sell my brother into human slavery for $19 billion too!
And he's every bit as worthless!

Nobody in their right mind would buy BBM. The company is doomed to die a slow and painful death.

Lets compare the two user profiles. WhatsApp haas 450 million YOUNG users with loose pockets that are willing to spend money.

WhatsApp has 450 million users in India and whatever other 3rd World nations, they have zero money to spend and even the $0.99/whatever is too much for them.

Remember, there are only ~1 billion people living in the 1st World.

WhatApp at 19 billion is a foolish purchase. That being said, BBM isn't worth anywhere near that as well. Facebook is a terrible investment.. if your vested, sell; if your not; short.

Good luck to them...

I believe a lot if IT departments did the same thing to their BES sever as we did.... Put a lot of 5.56mm holes in it while standing over it saying "shift delete that bitch"

With the way they are going, they won't be worth $19, companies in the same business are hanging about like vultures, ready to pull apart and take what patents and technology they can.

Good luck to them...

I believe a lot if IT departments did the same thing to their BES sever as we did.... Put a lot of 5.56mm holes in it while standing over it saying "shift delete that bitch"

Were just about ready to do that...only a couple users left to get off of it and they can take their arrogant ass's and software and shove it.

If BB released a comparable phone to the SG5 when it gets released in a few months I would strongly consider picking it up. I really liked the BB's I have had but they do not release new phones are regularly as other companies.

I want to short them to the ground, but with my luck someone will buy them up.

Back