Canadian Court Slaps Restrictions on Copyright Trolling

HardOCP News

[H] News
Did you guys know that the lawsuits over people downloading "The Hurt Locker" is still going on in Canada?

When a copyright holder says that people have infringed their rights online, delicate issues hang in the balance. Should courts absolutely protect the privacy of alleged infringers and help them stay anonymous, or do the legitimate rights of entertainment companies need to come first. These are just some of the questions just answered by the Federal Court in Ontario that will shape future 'trolling' cases in Canada.

I'm alrght with some kind of fine if found guilty of illegal downloads BUT it needs to be done correctly, the company tells the court, if there's a case then the court will advise the customer with a document. The person then has to pay the price of the medium downloaded at the price it was selling at the time it was downloaded so for a movie it would be 20ish$. If it's in a movie theater well then it's what, 12$?

That's it, nothing more nothing less.

I'm alrght with some kind of fine if found guilty of illegal downloads BUT it needs to be done correctly, the company tells the court, if there's a case then the court will advise the customer with a document. The person then has to pay the price of the medium downloaded at the price it was selling at the time it was downloaded so for a movie it would be 20ish$. If it's in a movie theater well then it's what, 12$?

That's it, nothing more nothing less.

Well, you do need to include some form of punitive damages, try and deter people from doing it. That's pretty standard. But it doesn't need to be outlandish. I'd be fine with a hundred bucks per proven download.

Well, you do need to include some form of punitive damages, try and deter people from doing it. That's pretty standard. But it doesn't need to be outlandish. I'd be fine with a hundred bucks per proven download.

I can agree on 100$
Not a cent more.

I don't think you have framed the story correctly. The Federal Court of Canada (not Ontario) has said that the names must be handed over and downloaders can't hide. You might want to look at this article for more background. http://www.vancouversun.com/technol...s+federal+court+crosshairs/9533007/story.html

In Canada, people held liable for illegal downloading could face statutory damages of up to $5,000.

Under Bill C-11, Canada’s Copyright Modernization Act rights holders have been able to send copyright infringement notices to Internet providers, who in turn notify subscribers linked to the IP address. Many of these notices have been dismissed by subscribers since up until now, their names and addresses have not been available to the rights holders.

The latest Federal Court decision means that instead of a warning letter, Canadians could find themselves liable for statutory damages.

Back