MSI Radeon R9 290 Gaming 4G

HardOCP News

[H] News
The MSI Radeon R9 290 Gaming 4G is on the grill at Custom PC Review today. If you are contemplating a GPU upgrade, you might want to give this review the once over.

Today we’ll be reviewing a the MSI Radeon R9 290 Gaming 4G, which is MSI’s latest custom designed graphics card based off AMD’s Radeon R9 290 GPU. Given that the Radeon R9 290 Gaming 4G is one of MSI’s gaming series graphics cards, we can already expect a number of features such as MSI’s Twin Frozr IV cooler, Military Class components, and a slight overclock, which are pretty standard across MSI’s entire line of gaming graphics cards.

No mention of the elephant in the room. Did AMD fix their 4K @ 30Hz limitation?

They don't have to. Nobody buys AMD cards for gaming anymore. This particular 290 is on amazon for $470 but "Usually ships within 1 to 3 months". Looking at a third-party Amazon vendor where you can actually get one now, it's $785.

Meanwhile, you can buy a GTX 780 Ti for $680. That's the elephant in the room that everyone's talking about now.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yeah, getting into 290s is currently either a long wait for a reasonable price, or getting gouged by some random profiteer. Which sucks because I`d like to upgrade my red team card...

I`m actually pondering if I should give crossfire a go, I had a set when 4*** cards were all the rage but current situation is pretty much a land of unknown for me where it comes to that. :p

Sucks for NA customers. There are plenty of these MSI's available here in Finland for not too bad 429 € (that's with 24% VAT included). Reference XFX black edition+BF4 is 399 €.

Last edited:

What do you mean? How is there an AMD limitation?

There aren't any HDMI 2.0 sets yet, and they run MST 4K and Multi-Input 4K Displays at 60Hz just fine through Eyefinity.

Last edited:
HDMI 1.4a

• 4K @ 30Hz (common from 4K UHDTV displays)
  • 4K @ 60Hz (via dual HDMI 1.4a cable-- two 1920x2160 @ 30Hz)
HDMI 2.0 = 4K @ 30Hz & 60Hz

• No video cards from AMD, Intel and Nvidia have HDMI 2.0 ports
  • 4K @ 60Hz via single cable
  • Standard finalized back in September 2013 but very few 4K UHDTV displays are using this, and even very little amount of displays are upgradeable to HDMI 2.0 via firmware.
  • 8K support @ 24Hz (24FPS) or 30Hz
DisplayPort 1.2 (which you can do right now) via MST = 4K @ 60Hz

• And, this is how sites like HardOCP and others have tested 4K gaming from both AMD and Nvidia
  • Common on almost all video cards released in the last three years.
  • Common interface for 4K (60Hz) displays that are NOT UHDTV sets
DisplayPort 1.3 =

• 4K @ 60Hz without MST
  • 8K @ 60Hz (via dual DP cables)
  • 4K 3D @ 60Hz (via single cable)
  • 4K @ 120Hz (via dual cables)
  • Dual 4K non-3D displays via dual DP cables
  • No video card has this, yet.
  • Finalized in Q2 2014.
There is no 4K@30Hz limitation from AMD, in other words. That is the fault of the manufacturer of the 4K display. The Seiki 4K and Dell 28-inch 4K displays are 30Hz because of cost reasons. It is why they are considerably cheaper than the Dell 24-inch and 30-inch 4K @ 60Hz displays, or the ASUS 4K monitor, which cost north of $1000 and $3000 USD.

Back