Microsoft: Rejecting PS4 Exclusive Was A Mistake

HardOCP News

[H] News
Microsoft's Phil Spencer talks about the "one that got away."

"Part of job is living with mistakes. Passed on Guitar Hero...I can list many misses regretfully. I try to focus on what we did ship," Spencer replied on Twitter. Spencer continued to say that he's happy that Rime found a place, even if it is on their competitor's console."

The new MS is missing quite a bit. He should have said "Another one of many to get away for us.".

I just went and watched the trailer for Rime .... what the hell was MS thinking? It looks great with many people commenting the music makes the title seem like it's straight from the Ghibli studios.

Think the PS4 is launching in Japan this Tuesday or this past Tuesday. This is in addition to the 5.2 million sold.

Moving forward, I think Microsoft will be very very careful with this types of opportunities.

Some crocodile tears here for MS.
I am sure these executive dudes don't even know what the hell happened until they saw the competition hitting back, then quickly turn to employees under them to press them and ask how this happened?!! .. only to be told you rejected this.. remember the email?, remember in the meeting?

If they want to stay in the console business they should start creating some first party game studios IMO.

I just went and watched the trailer for Rime .... what the hell was MS thinking? It looks great with many people commenting the music makes the title seem like it's straight from the Ghibli studios.

Think the PS4 is launching in Japan this Tuesday or this past Tuesday. This is in addition to the 5.2 million sold.

Moving forward, I think Microsoft will be very very careful with this types of opportunities.

PS4 is actually going on sale this Saturday in Sony's home turf of Japan -- with, get this, 25 japanese-specific titles in addition to the existing lineup. Then you factor PS4 outsold XBONE by a 2:1 ratio last month.

Microsoft is *REALLY* hoping that Titanfall will be their halo substitute system seller, but that's a lot of weight for one title to pull and ultimately their stubbornness with refusing to make the Kinect2 a separate add-on so they could price their console more effectively is now costing them the race. Just as predicted.

If they want to stay in the console business they should start creating some first party game studios IMO.
Microsoft doesn't create studios they just buy them. Then fail to produce as much as sony's 1st party developers can, both consoles have a ton of 1st party developers behind them.

The problem is 2 fold. 1 if you ever actually had a lot of money or power that people wanted you would know just how damn many both bad and good ideas are pitched to you. You cant possibly buy them all and you cant even know which ones will work and which wont. Not a 1 of your could do better. The thing is it is worse than that because for every 1 guy who is trying to get a game made their are probably 10 guys who are just trying to pitch making a game a cheap way to pay themselves really well and deliver a garbage product. Anyone in venture capital knows just how common this is. Scammers everywhere you look.

The other issue is that Sony knows that a big part of why they had trouble last generation is because of MS taking an early lead with exclusives. And lets just say no way is Sony going to do that this time. The problem of course is that leaves a company already in financial trouble susceptible to funding large duds.

They are learning I guess.

You would have thought they would have learned when they rejected Heavy Rain.
or when they rejected The Last of Us.

no, I don't think they are learning, as they are still rejecting games that Sony then gets to run with.

MS isn't going to just throw down a pile of money for every decent looking original idea.

I haven't played Rime, but judging just by the screenshots I saw, it probably looked too "indie" or cartoon-y for Microsoft and not macho [Halo] enough. I thought those screenshots looked pretty good and I read the description of the game and thought it seemed quite interesting.

Maybe I'm getting old, but within the past year I've played more indie (or small studio) games than I ever have and I can say that they're a nice change of pace from the big-budget games that are commonly pushed. They might not be 40-hour games but they were fun and different. There's a whole other world out there; Microsoft is missing out if they're only accepting big developer games.

MS isn't going to just throw down a pile of money for every decent looking original idea.
No, they threw away a shit-ton of money buying studios (they have ~10 right now). Bungie was run away, Lionhead... and Rare is stuck making Kinect games.

Could be worse.

Correct and when you have that many people coming to you who says it was even decent looking or original. If the studio has such a great game why didn't EA or some other publisher pick it up and multiply their earnings by pushing it out to multiple systems?

You would have thought they would have learned when they rejected Heavy Rain.
or when they rejected The Last of Us.

no, I don't think they are learning, as they are still rejecting games that Sony then gets to run with.
They didn't reject the last of us... The last of us developer is naughty dog a sony 1st party developer... Just making shit up eh?

No, they threw away a shit-ton of money buying studios (they have ~10 right now). Bungie was run away, Lionhead... and Rare is stuck making Kinect games.

Could be worse.
Rare is mostly just the IP they bought out the studio in the early 2000's to coincide with the xbox but the people didn't stay.

Back