The Plus in Google Plus? It’s Mostly for Google

HardOCP News

[H] News
I think it is pretty obvious by now that the only reason Google+ exists is to act as a hub for Google's other services. Well, that, and to keep track of your every move. :)

Google Plus may not be much of a competitor to Facebook as a social network, but it is central to Google’s future — a lens that allows the company to peer more broadly into people’s digital life, and to gather an ever-richer trove of the personal information that advertisers covet. Some analysts even say that Google understands more about people’s social activity than Facebook does.

Google+ simply pisses me off. Whether you want it or not, Google is constantly throwing it in your way.

I guess when you control 95% of the worlds web video, you get to act like an asshole.

It's time for YouTube to get a major competitor.

Facebook (which I am no fan of) at least shows me what I want to see.
Google+ is chaotic with its multi column layout, constantly clicking to expand posts / comments, and of course the lack of usage by those in my social circles.

I really wish it was better, hangouts are great, the circles concept is sweet, auto awesome is amazing, auto picture backups make sharing a cinch, but since only my mom uses it, it doesn't matter how easy the sharing is, when there is no one to share with.

I don't know what the answer is, so many are so entrenched in facebook, that Google will have to do something so compelling that people finally make the switch, but no one has any idea what that even could be.

Has anyone found any email services outside the US that offer secure email that's away from the NSA. Be great to dump Google, but for what?

I don't even have a google account anymore, once they moved youtube comment section to g+ accounts i just closed the old spam gmail account and just book mark my fav youtube channels instead of having an account.

Actually Google+ has worked out quite well for me. Because of it's "nearby" feature I've found people that are technically near me and some people via those people that have become a large part of my life.

If there is a way to do that via facebook tell me.

I also have to say that you can't dis analysts when they speak wrong about video games and PC trends but then side with them when they talk about a product that isn't exactly popular. I think they are just full of crap but paid for it.

It's not a ghost town, sure not as big as Facebook but what is? This short rant is by the incorrect statement that you sign up for g+ for gmail, this is incorrect. Google still resolves around gmail and you can get gmail without g+. I've made almost 40 google accounts for work and I go in them every now and then to update contacts, etc. I never have to sign up for g+ and any accounts that have, I delete the profile. It also states that without plus google didn't really know who you were, that too is false. All you need is a google account. Sign in once on a machine and browser, then sign out. They have you. Their ad network will continue to build stats on you.

This article is actually not saying anything that people shouldn't already know Facebook does a lot of this stuff too, Google is a lot less obnoxious with it though.

Google+ simply pisses me off. Whether you want it or not, Google is constantly throwing it in your way.
Including the worst offense, the forced use of it on youtube. Not only is the new commenting system a POS, but do an experiment and look at your own post, and then logout and refresh the video.

I have one account that for no apparent reason is ghosted. That means that while i THINK that I am making posts, no one else will actually see it, and of course I haven't posted anything SPAM related its a regular normal account. The other switching back and forth posts fine, but you always see your own post as top ranked which I thought was odd after it gets say 10-12 thumbs up, but if you check with your other account you'll see its quickly disappeared to page 2 because the top-rank is seemingly completely arbitrary.

Further, the old thumbs up and thumbs down system is broken, as thumbing down a comment doesn't really have any effect. Apparently it will ONLY matter once the comment gets a sufficient number of downrankings, but this is regardless of how many upgrankings it gets. That means that a comment that got 150 uprankings can go invisible once it hits 20 downrankings, eliminating any controversial comments, whereas before it was majority rule so funny politically incorrect or dark humor comments would stay and were always hilarious IMO.

I guess when you control 95% of the worlds web video, you get to act like an asshole.

It's time for YouTube to get a major competitor.

I hate that idea. YT works fine, and a major competitor would make me have to visit both sites for videoa .

I don't mind being Scroogled, it's these idiots at Microsoft that don't seem to know what people want anymore.

setup your own server?

sounds great, but is completely impractical for an individual. You will constantly be fighting being blacklisted, you have to have to monitor the exchange quite a bit so you dont get pwned and your ISP shuts you off. You will have to get whitelisted to send email to pretty much anyone.

You guys actually comment on stuff on YouTube? Sheesh....whenever I glance at the comments for things it looks like all the grimy dark nasty stuff underneath the inside of the toilet bowl.

Has anyone found any email services outside the US that offer secure email that's away from the NSA. Be great to dump Google, but for what?

Could try these..

It's not Google that's at fault either here. The NSA, arguably the reason everyone wants more privacy these days, captures e-mail in transit. So, unless you use pgp key(s) or something along those lines (the NSA probably cracked that, too) then what's the point?

Back