Facebook Users Offered Cash To Tell On Software Pirates

HardOCP News

[H] News
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but, for this kind of money, most people are going to tell on you.

This reward could reach $5000 for a settlement of $15,000 or a massive $200,000 for a single tip if BSA gets a settlement of over $3 million. The rewards in question are targeted at users from various countries, including the US, Australia, Canada and China.

they are desesperate.

but i COULD make a shitload of money... sell my friends...

friends or money....

Perhaps... but to get your money a settlement must be reached. A rather big if to sell your soul over. I am not so cheaply bought. Also requires you to view the BSA as a trustworthy venue.

most likely you never get a payout by telling on your friends since they are probably working two jobs just to be broke. However if you work for a fortune 500 company and blow the whistle on them -- im sure you could make some cash.

I still wouldn't ever want to put my name on anything of this sort unless i truly believed the company i was working for was evil.

Here at TorrentFreak we appreciate a nice vacation as well, so hereby we rat out the U.S. military for running unlicensed copies of Windows 7. We’re looking forward to our reward…

I have a feeling they will be waiting a loooong time and yes I know it was sarcastic. lol!

So why is it 33% of a paltry $15k settlement, but only 6.6% of a 3mil payday?

So, if I tell, is that enough evidence to have them make the bust? I'm sure that would be fun. I could tell on a few people that have a no-cd crack on a legit game, and have them investigated. Just for fun.... They really wouldn't be doing anything wrong....

So, if I tell, is that enough evidence to have them make the bust? I'm sure that would be fun. I could tell on a few people that have a no-cd crack on a legit game, and have them investigated. Just for fun.... They really wouldn't be doing anything wrong....

They want people to report businesses running pirated software, not individuals.

They want people to report businesses running pirated software, not individuals.

Ding!

We have a winner. They know going after the individual is silly. Going after business that pirate software is legit. Everywhere I've worked I have always ensured that we keep up on our licenses for the software that we used. The funny thing is, one of the software companies I worked for was the WORST in having legit licenses for the applications / operating systems that they used. I have a feeling it was one of the reasons I am no longer at that company - being legit cut too much into the owner having her lifestyle paid for by the company - she didn't like it.. heh.

I know here, we've used and "evaluation" version to see if the application is something that we like or can use. If so, we bought the appropriate number of licenses, if not, scrubbed the eval system clean.

The SOP in this town if someone in the office gets a new computer, suddenly everyone in the office has upgraded applications / OS. Not so much anymore with the way licensing / keys are handled. Always a sore spot with me too... pay for what you use, or dont' use it.

Report on that fortune 500 company and get a free ski trip... followed by a pink slip. Good luck finding another job once you're blacklisted.

Perhaps... but to get your money a settlement must be reached. A rather big if to sell your soul over. I am not so cheaply bought. Also requires you to view the BSA as a trustworthy venue.

Yeah that's amusing. A settlement that could take years, and you'll just have to "trust" them that they'll make good on their word.

I can guarantee there's pirated software being used right within their own organization.

Back