PlayStation 4 Beats Out Xbox One in January Sales

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Reversing the sales trend that came in for December, PlayStation 4 has beat out Xbox One sales by almost a two to one margin. It’s good news for the hardware side, but video game sales show a sharp drop from last year’s numbers.

As far as sales of video games, the numbers are a bit bleaker. Total sales of physical games fell 21 percent from last year to $664 million, according to The NPD Group

I like how I'm simply playing The Last of Us on PS3.

I am not surprised. I bought a PS4 shortly after its launch and just recently picked up a Xbox One in a trade. I can, without a doubt, say that the PS4 is a better all around gaming experience. The PS4 from un-boxing to gaming maybe 10-15 mins. Xbox One.... lol. Dead Rising 3 took a 13gb update before you could play the game and about 65% into the download/update it told me ready to play but it was a trap. The game froze up and never recovered. I had to uninstall the entire game then re-download the update - another 13gb. The user interface on the Xbox One is also garbage. I never thought I would like a controller better than the Xbox 360's but the DS4 is much better. Microsoft, so far, seems determined to loose this generation.

Overall I'm an xbox guy -- but no way in hell am I going to pay money for a console with hardware bundled that I flat out do not want. I don't care how cool they say kinect is -- I don't want it. I'm a 32 year old male, and when I want to kick back and play some games, I don't want to wave and flap in my living room like an 8 year old.

The pay to play fest that was Forza was a huge turn off to read and see.. that was the only game i *really* wanted, glad to see I didn't burn 500 dollars just to find out I had to grind all day to get a single car in the game.

Never really seriously looked at the PS4, *shrugs* I have two 7970s in my media box attached to my TV in my living room, I could do any level of gaming I want without forking over extra cash just to have a controller and slick interface.

Overall I'm an xbox guy -- but no way in hell am I going to pay money for a console with hardware bundled that I flat out do not want. I don't care how cool they say kinect is -- I don't want it. I'm a 32 year old male, and when I want to kick back and play some games, I don't want to wave and flap in my living room like an 8 year old.

The pay to play fest that was Forza was a huge turn off to read and see.. that was the only game i *really* wanted, glad to see I didn't burn 500 dollars just to find out I had to grind all day to get a single car in the game.

Never really seriously looked at the PS4, *shrugs* I have two 7970s in my media box attached to my TV in my living room, I could do any level of gaming I want without forking over extra cash just to have a controller and slick interface.

So far it feels pretty easy to purchase the car that I want in forza.

I also had an Xbox One very very briefly before I traded it in for a metal detector + cash.

The whole experience was Meh. the UI was O-K but the navigation / launching / voice commands just seemed really bloated and unnecessary. It also really bugged me know any game I bought would not have native 1080p support and in some cases not even 60fps. So I ditched it very quickly.

I love my PS4, I can jump in, navigate, launch, quit, turn-off in blazing speed.

Also, Killzone looks fucking Amazing. The water, everything, I'm seriously blown away.

The only gripe is most of the games are still pre-orders. It seems to be the case with both systems.

Not a surprise. PS4 is cheaper and better graphics, so it would sell more systems. Games aren't selling well because the games suck. Both Xbone and PS4 have mediocre games at best.

This would explain why investors at Sony and Microsoft want them to abandon the gaming market. Those server peoples are the new suckers.

yeah, had an xbone because ps4's weren't available. mainly, it was a forza box. once that was out of my system, ditched it and never looked back. ps4 is obviously MEH compared to the master race but seeing that pretty much every title runs better on ps4, it's going to be interesting to see what MS does to salvage their glorified cable box.

i JUST WANT TO WATCH TV DAMNIT! btw, the rule with xbox is that you don't talk about it when you're playing :p

Would be nice to see where digital downloads of games was at this year and last year. As given that both sides are pushing more for digital download than they did in the past people could be switching to them. Although with no new games coming out not really surprised there wasn't a lot of sales here in jan. especially since some people might have sold off their older gen consoles and games to get a new gen and now are sitting waiting for a new game to come out.

I am not surprised. I bought a PS4 shortly after its launch and just recently picked up a Xbox One in a trade. I can, without a doubt, say that the PS4 is a better all around gaming experience. The PS4 from un-boxing to gaming maybe 10-15 mins. Xbox One.... lol. Dead Rising 3 took a 13gb update before you could play the game and about 65% into the download/update it told me ready to play but it was a trap. The game froze up and never recovered. I had to uninstall the entire game then re-download the update - another 13gb. The user interface on the Xbox One is also garbage. I never thought I would like a controller better than the Xbox 360's but the DS4 is much better. Microsoft, so far, seems determined to loose this generation.

Your "issue" with Dead Rising is that they just did a major update to the game a few weeks ago that basically requires you to download the entire game again. they included most of the content for every DLC that will be coming out so that once the DLC is released and you buy it, you only need like a 100MB update or something like that I think to activate it. I don't know why they did it that way. I was a little surprised going to play it one day and they had that large of a patch to install. As for it crashing, that must have been a fluke or something. You should have been able to start playing at that point and are able to explore most of the starting area with there being a certain point where it tells you that you can't continue until you install the entire game.

I had that same type of issue with Civ 5 on the PC. bought the game on disc, get home and install it, then had to wait to download something like a 10GB patch. That kind of stuff does really suck, but is something that can happen on any platform unfortunately.

Agree with the UI (as do most people) which is why they are listening and starting to slowly fix that some. They released a patch last night, like the small change they made to games and apps so that those are now separated in that screen. But wish they would have kept more of the same UI that they had on the 360.

To be honest you don't have to wave and flap or anything like that for the kinnect. you can navigate with voice commands, which is nice as you can start up a movie or something on Netflix and not have to grab a remote. just walk into a room tell the xbox to turn on, go to Netflix, navigate to one of your movies and tell it to play. Even in games so far, the ones that I have played that make use of it are all voice commands. Ryse has you tell your archers to fire volleys or which formation to take in a few points of the game. Dead Rising you can call attention to yourself to lead zombies away from a person you are trying to save. Nothing OMG but as a 33 year old male myself I don't find it to be anything that if somebody saw me using it would make me appear to be a child. But do know that certain features aren't going to be for every.

I think that I, like many, am just underwhelmed by this generation of consoles. The 360 never wowed me either though, and though I thought about buying one over the years most of the games I wanted were on PC so I skipped it. The PS3 honestly has a few that I would like to play, so I might pick one up around the time the console is being phased out to get it on the cheap. The PS4 is also underwhelming to me, though, I think it most likely to start building up its library into games that I actually want to play.

As for what consoles I have in addition to my PC? Mostly old stuff, honestly. But, I do have a Wii U and have been enjoying it quite a bit. I'm also looking forward to several games due out for it this year so I feel happy that I'll have a decent library for it. I know Nintendo is a bit of anathema to some people, but I've genuinely enjoyed their games over the years and haven't felt shafted yet in being able to enjoy their games.

Hmmm... a big pile of poo in a brown bag or a bag of urine from an asparagus eating old man... gosh, I can't decide. How about neither? Long live the PC!

I bought a PS4 at launch and loved it dearly till I ran out of stuff to play so I went back to ye olde' PC. That's the best combo I think for your gaming needs, PS4 and PC. All you lose is some Xbox exclusives, which I guess is a deal breaker for some, but I was never a fan of Halo anyway.

The PS4 has the best controller out there now IMO, it's very comfortable and a pleasure to use.

I think Microsoft tried to do too much with the Xbone when they added all those TV features which, in this day and age of online video, matters very little to most gamers. That extra money in development costs and hardware could have been used to make a much more powerful gaming system, something that could have topped the PS4 quite a bit for the extra $100 cost to the consumer. With the price points the way they are between the 2 systems I can see the PS4 outselling the Xbone for a long time to come.

When they actually have the local emulator for the PS1 and PS2 games I'll pick one up. Last I read they will have it around summer.

Nothing will ever beat a good rig though.:)

Xbox One is for gamers that enjoy lots of media consumption.
PS4 is for Gamers to Game.
Simple as that.
If I were buying a console right now it would be a tough choice. I hate the PS4 controller and I love the Xbox controllers. I value hardware power though and the PS4 has that in spades over the One. I also find the Xbox One interface very easy to navigate and it has great voice recognition.

Meh Im a PC gamer.

This to me is good news and a little troubleling to me. Ive felt for the last 2 years or so of the 360s life, and with the info/launch of hte xbone, microsoft lost the "eye of the tiger" for the console market. With the original xbox, and the first 5 eyars or so of 360, Microsoft was hungry for the gamers. Now they jsut seem kinda meh.. Hopefully this will put a spark back into microsoft and get them focus back on the gamer and getting better excluseives and better first party games.

I hate the PS4 controller and I love the Xbox controllers.

Have you tried the new Xbox One controllers yet? I think they took a huge leap backwards from the X360 controllers. D-pad seams wrong and I don't care for the triggers...

Meh Im a PC gamer.

As am I. Nothing wrong with getting a little stray from the the consoles when I can though... ;)

It's pretty amazing. I played it for 20 - 30 mins. Time will tell if it has a lot of replay value. It's constant constant action. Might be another COD type environment where you can go and blow off steam for 20 - 30 mins then do something else.

I've got both systems and play my Xbox One more. It currently has more of the games I want to play. That will probably change down the road but so far I'm happy with both systems.

Even in games so far, the ones that I have played that make use of it are all voice commands. Ryse has you tell your archers to fire volleys or which formation to take in a few points of the game. Dead Rising you can call attention to yourself to lead zombies away from a person you are trying to save. Nothing OMG but as a 33 year old male myself I don't find it to be anything that if somebody saw me using it would make me appear to be a child. But do know that certain features aren't going to be for every.

LOL. I saw a video where a little kid is trying to make military hand gestures in his living room. I was howling.

I hate the PS4 controller and I love the Xbox controllers.

Have you tried the new Xbox One controllers yet? I think they took a huge leap backwards from the X360 controllers. D-pad seams wrong and I don't care for the triggers...

As am I. Nothing wrong with getting a little stray from the the consoles when I can though... ;)

i havent touched it yet, but there is no way the dpad could be worse then the xbox360 Hell the nintendo nes one from 1984 was 10 times better then the 360's.

i havent touched it yet, but there is no way the dpad could be worse then the xbox360 Hell the nintendo nes one from 1984 was 10 times better then the 360's.

To be honest, I myself don't really notice a different between the xbox 360 and one controller. The shape is a little different with the controller for the one being a little bigger. Which I like as it fits in my hands better. but position of everything feels about the same to me.

The bumpers are setup better on the xboxone controller, IMO. To me, the triggers are just a smidgen better, too.

I'm torn 50/50 whether I like the old 360 or xboxone controller better. My 360 controller is that junk one with the updated D-pad, and the much cheaper plastics (vs all previous 360 controllers - it becomes glaringly obvious if you use toothpicks to clean out these things).

Not a surprise. PS4 is cheaper and better graphics, so it would sell more systems.

Pretty much this. The PS4 is cheaper with better hardware. It outselling a slower, more expensive system is not too surprising if the customer is informed. I think most of the people that bought the slower, more expensive system did so out of familiarity with the OS or lack of knowledge. IF I buy a new console, I feel for the first time in two generations, I'll be getting a PS over an Xbox.

Pretty much this. The PS4 is cheaper with better hardware. It outselling a slower, more expensive system is not too surprising if the customer is informed. I think most of the people that bought the slower, more expensive system did so out of familiarity with the OS or lack of knowledge. IF I buy a new console, I feel for the first time in two generations, I'll be getting a PS over an Xbox.

More likely is that if someone sees them side by side, they just think, "This one is $100 cheaper, I will buy that one." Never underestimate the cheapness of the consumer. I personally do not think the Xbox one is overpriced but, I guess MS did not want to take a lose like they did the last time.

I do not want a PS4 at all but, I also did not want the PS3 when it went onsale for $150 last year. However, I still prefer that others have that choice and there is competition. For that reason, hopefully, Sony will be around for a while.

Back