Antec High Current Pro Platinum 1300W PSU Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Antec High Current Pro Platinum 1300W PSU Review - Antec swings for the fences with its HCP-1300 Platinum, which you guessed it, touts extremely high efficiencies. It can supply a huge 1300 watts of power at full load, and has a healthy feature set that includes being fully modular with forward looking pin-outs, and maybe best of all carries Antec's solid 7 year warranty.

Typo fixed. Thanks for the extra eyes! - Kyle

Last edited by a moderator:
when you can find it in stock

Checking recently I have noticed a lot of high power (1200 watts or more) seems to be in short supply.

Any one have any idea what that is about? Shortages because of miners? :confused:

Yes, miners are ruining everything. I feel like I have to start mining to just be able to upgrade things even if it will take longer with my aging computer. Irony.

Just have to check amazon regularly.

What no mention of the EVGA 1300w SuperNOVA G2 psu? Sure right now it's out of stock at Newegg and Amazon and ranges from $229.99 and up, but it does have 1 mighty 12v rail rated at 108.3A and the price isn't bad either, this psu is in short supply I think.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
What no mention of the EVGA 1300w SuperNOVA G2 psu? Sure right now it's out of stock at Newegg and Amazon and ranges from $229.99 and up, but it does have 1 mighty 12v rail rated at 108.3A and the price isn't bad either, this psu is in short supply I think.

Why would there be? We have never reviewed that product to have any way to compare it or mention it.

I would really like to see a reasonable computer setup that requires something like this to be installed. I mean sure, you can stick 6 280x's in 1x slots and run a miner on it and I can see that, but an actual usable machine that requires 1250 or 1300 watts delivered? Seems kind of silly, and I'm usually on board for overboard.

I would really like to see a reasonable computer setup that requires something like this to be installed. I mean sure, you can stick 6 280x's in 1x slots and run a miner on it and I can see that, but an actual usable machine that requires 1250 or 1300 watts delivered? Seems kind of silly, and I'm usually on board for overboard.

My guess would be quad-SLI and some kind of cold-plate cooling combined. That might draw a huge amount of energy--also it used to be the case that you'd need the power to start up hard drives (no staggering) but a machine like this is going to probably be stuffed with SSDs. Plus, you don't need 10 hard drives to get a few terabytes anymore.

Checking recently I have noticed a lot of high power (1200 watts or more) seems to be in short supply.

Any one have any idea what that is about? Shortages because of miners? :confused:

All your power supply are belong to us.

I run a 1300 watt in my system with just two gtx 780's simply because I like to know my power supply isn't being stressed and the fan never kicks on.

Ok, then are there any plans to review this EVGA 1300w G2 psu in the future? Just curious.

Not currently. EVGA does not really like to send products to reviewers who may be objective about their products or who might say something critical so we don't get product from them. Occasionally, I will buy EVGA products to review but I have lots of product from companies who aren't afraid to have their products reviewed currently in the queue.

Last edited:
That's a real shame. EVGA use to be a love brand for me, but I haven't touched their products in years.

Not currently. EVGA does not really like to send products to reviewers who may be objective about their products or who might say something critical so we don't get product from them. Occasionally, I will buy EVGA products to review but I have lots of product from companies who aren't afraid to have their products reviewed currently in the queue.

Ok, that's not a problem and understandable.

Great review guys! On Noise, I know this question seems to be hit-n-miss with a lot of PSU's.. but did you notice any coil whine in your load testing over the fan? My 1250w OCZ unit gets a nice "buzz" on when under load even with a single video card. When I had it xfiah'd earlier it made quite a racket. Most people report some amount of coil whine with nearly every PSU I've asked about.

Great review guys! On Noise, I know this question seems to be hit-n-miss with a lot of PSU's.. but did you notice any coil whine in your load testing over the fan? My 1250w OCZ unit gets a nice "buzz" on when under load even with a single video card. When I had it xfiah'd earlier it made quite a racket. Most people report some amount of coil whine with nearly every PSU I've asked about.

Coil whine is a ridiculously overblown "issue". I see far more power supplies from far more vendors than users and the incidence over the last 7 years has been a handful. Of those handful, the OEM's are all over the board. The absolute worst whiner I ever had was a Sirfa followed by a Win-tact. Of the ones people claim whine a lot, I see very few actual whiners and I am rather sensitive to high pitched noises (my wife uses a tiny glass dinner bell to get my attention when I am working).

On this particular unit, and series, there has been no noticeable whine when I have worked with them. However, it is a hit and miss thing from unit to unit and unit to videocard combination so you may or may not experience it with any unit...this one included.

Ok, then are there any plans to review this EVGA 1300w G2 psu in the future? Just curious.

I have the evga 1000w g2 and I'm happy with it. Price was cheap plus 10 year warranty. Evga has hands down the best customer service around

I have that exact unit. I got it for 175 after MIR in November. I wonder how the two compare. I do need another quality 1300w PSU.

Awesome review!

I have that exact unit. I got it for 175 after MIR in November. I wonder how the two compare. I do need another quality 1300w PSU.

I imagine a donation of a couple of these to [H] would have a potential to add it to the queue :)

I wonder if Delta is on par with or better than Seasonic ? Too bad they're too busy with OEM.

I wonder if Delta is on par with or better than Seasonic ? Too bad they're too busy with OEM.

In general, yes. However, like Seasonic, they are an OEM so they will make what you want and in addition to making some really high-end items they have made/do make some really run of the mill things for clients.

Great review. You do a great job, Paul. Good to know if a unit is below par either performance or value, you'll report it. This does indeed look like an excellent unit. I've been waiting for a while to see a review because some platforms just get over taxed as they get bigger. This unit keeps the same excellent performance of it's smaller siblings though and offers better value.

some in this thread might not understand the full context re EVGA

the SuperNOVA NEX1500 got a straight up failing grade from the [H] PSU crew, and I suspect EVGA may be a bit butthurt about it

Back