3M Making An Android Coffee Table

I was interested until I saw the price. Cool idea, but imagine when the handle on your coffee mug gives it up and the mug smashes down on the table. Sadly this happened to my glass coffee table, which was a lost investment of only about 1% what this thing costs...

I was interested until I saw the price. Cool idea, but imagine when the handle on your coffee mug gives it up and the mug smashes down on the table. Sadly this happened to my glass coffee table, which was a lost investment of only about 1% what this thing costs...

Yeah, cool concept, but $7k?

I couldn't justify that, for what's essentially an oversized, non-portable Android tablet.

The 1080p resolution seems rather inadequate for a screen of that size with such short intended viewing distances. I would think that for this thing to really take off, they need to bump it up to 4K resolution and drop the price point by about 50%. Of course, it may be awhile before that becomes feasible.

Until then, I'll look forward to playing with one of these in coffee shops or fancy waiting rooms.

Didn't they have something like this for the first Tron movie? For the MCP? Of course, that desk was WAY cooler. :)

A 46" touchscreen monitor is $3000 and a Nexus 7 is $229. So who's going to pay $7000 for the combo? At least not without a fruit logo on it.

I would love to have one of those if there was a D&D app for it and I could link it to my phone.
Buddies come over with their Androids, everyone link in, and play without pen and paper.
But like that's ever going to happen.
Would be pretty sweet though.

wLiUbqu.png

Bezel-less?

In other news, dgz is making an android toilet seat. Just as useful.

I would love to have one of those if there was a D&D app for it and I could link it to my phone.
Buddies come over with their Androids, everyone link in, and play without pen and paper.
But like that's ever going to happen.
Would be pretty sweet though.

A paper and pencil RPG without papers and pencils (pens)?! :eek: Gary Gygax's ghost is totally going to haunt you for ages for that. Or at least haunt you until you switch to Numenera and then Monte Cook will somehow manage to come back from the grave to haunt you even though he's alive and stuff.

Also, I think having to look down at your screen is pretty unergonomic and would really hurt after a while so that sort of rules out reading anything or watching a show. I guess you could like pick it up and mount it on a wall in order to see it more easily. I could totally see that being a great use for a table tablet thing. Turning it on its side and hanging it up on a wall after you take off the legs under it. I'm so applying for a patent on that idea.

Back