RoboCop's Suit Was 3-D Printed

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to this article, the suits worn in the new RoboCop movie were all 3-D printed. :cool:

Once the designs were finalized, Whist and his team meticulously modeled the two suits on computers, then "grown" on high-definition 3-D printers. "Three-dimensional design was critical," says Whist. "It allowed us to make sure that we were getting back exactly what we had envisioned." Once the elements were printed out, Whist's team handed them over to special effects company Legacy Effects to paint them and assemble into the final suit.

Just more proof that someday we'll be printing out Iron Man suits in our basements. :)

Yet the original suit was (I assume) completely hand made and looks a million times better. I am truly impressed with the new generation of designers.

Look at it this way....it would be truly hard to make a movie as bad ad the original.

RoboCop 1 was amazing -- you have to appreciate it for the time it was made in (1987)

RoboCop 2 - a fair shot at milking the series.

RoboCop 3 -- should have never existed

I'm eager to see how they do this reboot -- I have to say though, giving him a single "human" hand... retarded, and if you are going to have a super cop that costs hundreds of millions of dollars, you don't want a point of weakness like that.

RoboCop 1 was amazing -- you have to appreciate it for the time it was made in (1987)

I'm eager to see how they do this reboot -- I have to say though, giving him a single "human" hand... retarded, and if you are going to have a super cop that costs hundreds of millions of dollars, you don't want a point of weakness like that.

Short Circuit was made a year earlier, and 3 decades later is a better movie...Robocop is meh in comparison. I'd say the same thing about Close Encounters and E.T., both of which were made earlier and stand up to time far better. Hell even the original Star Wars run.

For the time Robocop (all of them) was wow-ish...but there's a reason you never see it on movie re-run nights on broadcast TV...

I like how someone people simply have the worst opinions ever.

Yea, well based on the trailers, they look like they were 3d printed. And that's not a compliment.

Short Circuit was made a year earlier, and 3 decades later is a better movie...Robocop is meh in comparison. I'd say the same thing about Close Encounters and E.T., both of which were made earlier and stand up to time far better. Hell even the original Star Wars run.

For the time Robocop (all of them) was wow-ish...but there's a reason you never see it on movie re-run nights on broadcast TV...

Yea, because it was so goddamn violent and greusome that they have to hack-n-slash edit it such that it looks like crap.

Yea, because it was so goddamn violent and greusome that they have to hack-n-slash edit it such that it looks like crap.

The fact that the only thing anyone remembers about the original Robocop is the comically excessive gore factor, and all they worry about for the new movie is that it won't have enough comically excessive gore tells you all you need to know about the quality of the original.

Robo 1 Agreed. Absolutely amazing movie. The unrated is so much better.

Robo 2 Never should of existed.

Robo 3 What were they thinking.

Robo (2014) What the FUCK were they thinking.

Hey I went in with an open mind. I will never do that again with any movie.

There was nothing good about any of the RoboCop's..I have no idea how it even developed a following. It was bar none one of the Worst written movies imaginable out of that Era. All they did was take the average Gore fest hero hack n slash movie, replace Arnold with a robot cop and suck people in on the "This is the future technology" angle. Remove the robot and the movie was utter shit.

Thank you..This exactly.

The fact that the only thing anyone remembers about the original Robocop is the comically excessive gore factor, and all they worry about for the new movie is that it won't have enough comically excessive gore tells you all you need to know about the quality of the original.

^ Winner. There is absolutely nothing memorable about the movie. As I mentioned earlier, remove the robot and suddenly it is the same movie as dozens of others of that era. Poorly written, even worse acting, atrocious visuals all sold only because people thought the concept of a "Bionic Man" was amazing. The movie has failed utterly to stand up to the test of time, unlike so many other actual "Classics". It's nothing more than a Sci-fi B movie of the 80's era that was just as bad as all the 1950's B movies that no one can actually remember.

There is absolutely nothing memorable about the movie.

"I'd buy that for a dollar", "dead or alive, you're coming with me", "Murphy it's you", "you have 20 seconds to comply", "can you fly Bobby?"...Off the top of my head, haven't watched it for at least 15 years.

I don't know what you're talking about.

Gore isn't the only thing it's remember for, the classic one liners, the evil as heck bad guy played by Kurtwood Smith, the classic satire commericals (I'd buy that for a dollar!).

The sound of Robocop walking, the movements, etc.

Robocop is known for a lot of things, and to this day is one of the best satirical movies that even has points for our modern day.

There was nothing good about any of the RoboCop's..I have no idea how it even developed a following. It was bar none one of the Worst written movies imaginable out of that Era. All they did was take the average Gore fest hero hack n slash movie, replace Arnold with a robot cop and suck people in on the "This is the future technology" angle. Remove the robot and the movie was utter shit.

I guess one of the main points was lost on you? The entire movie is a satire, corporate capitalism, the media, etc. All of which is still relevant in this day and age.

One of the worst of that era? You have not seen many movies of the 80's then...

If you think it's just the average gore fast movie I don't even think you watched the movie.

I guess one of the main points was lost on you? The entire movie is a satire, corporate capitalism, the media, etc. All of which is still relevant in this day and age.

If you think it's just the average gore fast movie I don't even think you watched the movie.

You beat me to it. While Robocop isn't exactly cerebral it does deserve credit for being a lot more than just a gore fest. It's about humanity, commentary on corporations, greed, the drug trade, and the escalation of violence in America. In a sense Robocop is the most human character in the film while the corporate executives are something else entirely.

If you can't see half of those aspects of the film then you didn't watch it in the first place or watched it so long ago as to remember it poorly.

Look at it this way....it would be truly hard to make a movie as bad ad the original.

Thank you..This exactly.

^ Winner. There is absolutely nothing memorable about the movie. As I mentioned earlier, remove the robot and suddenly it is the same movie as dozens of others of that era. Poorly written, even worse acting, atrocious visuals all sold only because people thought the concept of a "Bionic Man" was amazing. The movie has failed utterly to stand up to the test of time, unlike so many other actual "Classics". It's nothing more than a Sci-fi B movie of the 80's era that was just as bad as all the 1950's B movies that no one can actually remember.

Dicks! You're fired! :mad:

He probably grew up in the late 1990's. Or later.

So, they didn't want to hire any homeless and starving Face off contestants?

He probably grew up in the late 1990's. Or later.

I'm 35, do the math.

I'm well aware of the message it was trying to get across. However that doesn't detract from the fact that it did a piss poor job at it because it was so terribly written and acted. Sorry if I don't allow the rose tinted glasses of nostalgia cloud my judgement. Sure I liked it when I was a kid, but the advantage of being older id I can reevaluate things I used to find cool and judge them on more mature merits.

There was nothing good about any of the RoboCop's..I have no idea how it even developed a following. It was bar none one of the Worst written movies imaginable out of that Era.

Sometimes a good movie is hard to explain, it's just a good movie. I was 19 when Robocop came out in 1987, EVERYONE my age saw that movie. And like Outamyhead referenced earlier "I'd buy that for a dollar!" has been stuck in my head for 27 years.

My speculation about it, especially for people my age, I think it Robocop's popularity drew from the Six Million Dollar Man. A classic and iconic show in its day about a cyborg. When I was a kid we were all imitating the slow mo bionics and sound effects, and that jazz disco fusion music of Oliver Nelson, the tunes are still in my head almost 40 years later.

"Gentleman, we can rebuild him, we have the technology, we have the capability to build the world's first bionic man. Steve Austin will be that man. Better than he was before, better, stronger, faster."

I did that from memory, it was like the Pledge of Allegiance when I was growing up to know these words. But then think about other cyborgs in entertainment. "Seek, locate, exterminate!" "Resistance is futile." And there are others. There's just something about cyborgs that seem to resonate for whatever reason.

Short Circuit was made a year earlier, and 3 decades later is a better movie...Robocop is meh in comparison.

I'm not sure if you've seen both of those movies recently, which is why I will say this.

I've seen both of those movies in the last year and Robocop came out on top for me. Short Circuit is even cheesier than Robocop. That said, I watched both of them and derived some enjoyment, mostly for nostalgia purposes. They were both timely when released but I think Robocop stands up better over time.

I hear the new movie is awful, but it doesn't surprise me. How they can take Paul Verhoeven movies from 20-30 years ago and make them worse with all the available resources to recreate them is baffling to me.

Remove the robot and the movie was utter shit.

Well, sure - the protagonist being what they are in the movie is what defines what the movie is. You gotta have some kind of a gimmick, the whole rest of almost every action/adventure movie ever is dictated by pulling cliches out of a hat.

For example; randomly chosen from Wikipedia : A hardboiled sleuth involved with a manic pixie dream girl whom he tragically cannot be with; punctuated with car chases, explosions, computer hacking, running into a 'magical negro' character that tells him 'he is the one' before the post apocalyptic world he lives in collapses into chaos due to the influence of a single rich, powerful mafioso and megalomaniac. Of course, he will save the day due to his special newfound power and a happy ending will be enjoyed by all, but there will be a cliffhanger for a second movie; maybe we see a closeup of the dead villain's hand move from under a pile of rubble or some other hokey crap.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_film_clichés

Anyhoo! It's all the same crap over and over and over again. Be it the new Marvel superhero movie, or whatever. I can probably guess what will happen at the end within 10 minutes of the movie starting. They write those things so heavy-handedly that even my dog probably has a pretty good idea how it's going to wrap up.

Don't forget about the 6000 SUX, an American classic! :D

6000_sux.jpg

Has there ever been a scene in a movie that made you hurt just by seeing it as much as the rape prevention scene?
"Madame, you have suffered an emotional shock. I will notify a rape crisis center. "
Still cringe thinking about your move creep.....

It seems like it would have been faster to 3d print 1, and then make molds of the parts. I can only imagine how many dozen suits they went through.

-- I have to say though, giving him a single "human" hand... retarded, and if you are going to have a super cop that costs hundreds of millions of dollars, you don't want a point of weakness like that.

Maybe they're trying to make him like Curly, in Of Mice And Men. It's for his "wife".

As others have mentioned,the original Robocop was meant as a satire,and it did a damn good job of it. The remake fails completely at this. And the new suit looks awful,like an Ironman wannabe. When will Hollywood learn,remakes just don't work. I dread the inevitable day some idiotic producer gets the brilliant idea of remaking Jaws.

Yea, well based on the trailers, they look like they were 3d printed. And that's not a compliment.
Agreed. It doesn't surprise me at all to find the suit was printed. It looks like plastic molds off an assembly line, with no sense of craftsmanship.

I'm 35, do the math.

I'm well aware of the message it was trying to get across. However that doesn't detract from the fact that it did a piss poor job at it because it was so terribly written and acted. Sorry if I don't allow the rose tinted glasses of nostalgia cloud my judgement. Sure I liked it when I was a kid, but the advantage of being older id I can reevaluate things I used to find cool and judge them on more mature merits.

If you didn't "get" the original then what are you doing in this thread?

Despite the insults people are throwing at you left and right , you really have nothing to add to the discussion at this point. We get it , you didn't like it but guess what? A fuckload of people consider it a classic pain and simple. It's influenced a generation of film makers , heavily so.

All you are going to get is insults and arguments if you continue to hang out in this thread.

Back