The "Intel Freeway to the Future" Study Results

HardOCP News

[H] News
A new study commissioned by Intel Corporation and conducted by Penn Schoen Berland found that on average half of Americans desire a driverless society, support drones for public service or want cities to invest in smart infrastructures that would use and apply non-personal data from cars and buildings to improve quality of life for them and their community. The "Intel Freeway to the Future" study conducted across eight countries by Penn Schoen Berland examines citizens' attitudes toward technology innovations designed to make cities smarter, more convenient and safer.

Human drivers are a liability and once it can be safely automated, human-driven cars should and will only be allowed on private roads unless there's some sort of system failure.

I've grown up pretty deeply in car culture, but the benefits of this will so greatly outweigh nostalgic emotional overreaction from the old traditionalists that their whining won't matter a bit.

only if we abolish government in the process. It's pretty clear that the era of "small government" is over, and the only safe government is none whatsoever.

I wonder when will be the day "driverless car" will sound as quaint as "horseless carriage." I bet it's sooner than many of us think.

Human drivers are a liability and once it can be safely automated, human-driven cars should and will only be allowed on private roads unless there's some sort of system failure.

I've grown up pretty deeply in car culture, but the benefits of this will so greatly outweigh nostalgic emotional overreaction from the old traditionalists that their whining won't matter a bit.

Or..and I know this is a crazy thought..We could have Actual requirements that are enforced before allowing people behind the wheel of a car. Instead of the current joke of a system where they hand out DL's to people who are so clearly unqualified to be driving it is scary.

Part of the problem is that most people are yes..terrible drivers. However the Core problem is a system that "Enables" these terrible drivers to continue driving.

Based on the summary the survey doesn't tell us anything. The wording of the questions are more important than anything else. "technology innovations designed to make cities smarter, more convenient and safer", who would say no to that question. Now if you ask, do you want armed drones with facial recognition software in banks and hospitals you may get a different answer.

Weird seeing Berland as the firm who conducted the study. I've worked with him in a prior role and I've never seen someone so full of himself.

Ontopic: A completely driverless society scares me only because I don't think I'll be around to see it "perfected" - and will be prone to so many problems that'll make the road unsafe.

That, and I actually really love driving.

Or..and I know this is a crazy thought..We could have Actual requirements that are enforced before allowing people behind the wheel of a car. Instead of the current joke of a system where they hand out DL's to people who are so clearly unqualified to be driving it is scary.

Part of the problem is that most people are yes..terrible drivers. However the Core problem is a system that "Enables" these terrible drivers to continue driving.

People's driving behaviors cause traffic to suck. We don't want more tests and crap that has to be administrated. We're going to have automated cars so we'll go whole hog. Cars that communicate with each other can drive at faster speeds and in tighter packs more safely as well as regulate speed without causing that braking ripple effect that human drivers cause.

Imagine the outcome of that kernel panic/random reboot/crash. 4500 people died today on the 405 in los angeles.

lmao

Cars that communicate with each other can drive at faster speeds and in tighter packs more safely as well as regulate speed without causing that braking ripple effect that human drivers cause.

the rolling accordion? :p beginner cyclists do this all the time when tackling corners.

How in the world do you program in all the variables that can affect driving?

Imagine the outcome of that kernel panic/random reboot/crash. 4500 people died today on the 405 in los angeles.

lmao

As opposed to, sever person on the 405 in LA took 1 hour and 15 minutes to drive 15km to work today. In other news, your dog got lonely made it to and from your office place several times looking for you in the meantime.

How in the world do you program in all the variables that can affect driving?

All the variables doesn't sound so bad when you realize people are more unpredictable than machines bound to your will.

Self-driving cars are coming and that's fine, though I am very concerned with automatic traffic prioritization, liability, and general lack of control people are going to have. Police literally stopping you at will sounds like a terrible proposition to me.

lmao

I would expect this to be the first problem addressed with fail-safe protections, ie braking if the system is down at a rapid but safe pace. Probably have backup systems to control it as carefully as the original system might with varying conditions, accommodations for speed, etc.

Back