Must See Indie Sci-Fi Horror Game of the Day

HardOCP News

[H] News
Not only does the plot of this game sound creepy, it looks pretty damn spooky too. According to the site, the game is being developed by a 21 year old from Australia.

In Caffeine you awaken to find yourself as a young boy on what appears to be some kind of space station or craft seemingly alone. The only thing that can be done is to explore this structure to find out what exactly has happened here. First and foremost Caffeine is a Sci-Fi Horror Adventure game which takes inspiration from FEAR, Condemned and Doom 3

Pretty damn good indeed! The only thing that came to my mind is "Those tables are really high!" It made me feel kind of 'short' in the gameplay. Pre-alpha, it's all good!

Pretty damn good indeed! The only thing that came to my mind is "Those tables are really high!" It made me feel kind of 'short' in the gameplay. Pre-alpha, it's all good!

Maybe you're a midget?

well you are playing as a young boy according to the plot so that would make sense that the view would be kind of low

Am I the only person who wasn't impressed? The fact that one 21 year is developed that is impressive but it didn't give me goosebumps or anything. Pretty uneventful gameplay video too for that matter. I kept waiting for something to happen and it never did.

What's up with the FOV? Seems like it's set at like...10. Almost made me nauseous watching it.

Overall the impression I got was that it seemed a lot like what Alien: Isolation is going for, but instead you play as a kid.

Am I the only person who wasn't impressed? The fact that one 21 year is developed that is impressive but it didn't give me goosebumps or anything. Pretty uneventful gameplay video too for that matter. I kept waiting for something to happen and it never did.

Not to downplay what he has done, but with the recent advancements in tools and their release to the public anyone can make a game. You can get a free copy of the unreal engine and make a game. first person like this would be the easiest to do. That said, he did do a good job on the graphics there so far, and creating at least the basic feel of what he wants.

Regardless it does take a good amount of time and effort to be able to make something so he is doing very good on that part. But yeah from what I have noticed so far nothing that really makes me go WOW just yet.

I think his talent is to make creepy music because that 3d engine is not even close to current standards. My they should hire him for doom 4 :)

Looked pretty good to me considering it was way early in development. Im always up for a good sci-fi horror game or flick. Even though they can be cliche and all seem to take after Alien, I still love em and will line up to watch or play them usually.

Has good potential for a pre alpha, would love to see some real action. The sound is great and hope the graphics improve. Ah well back to Rise of Flight.

I made stuff like that back in the day in Hammer, the source level editor. I dunno what is so special about that... Like someone said above, the tools are super streamlined today.

I made stuff like that back in the day in Hammer, the source level editor. I dunno what is so special about that... Like someone said above, the tools are super streamlined today.

yea, i remember. your stuff was some hot shit back then. i wish you hadn't stopped developing awesome games. :rolleyes:

Too cliche. The game isnt creppy scare like Silent Hill was, it's just "boo!" loud noises scary, like Resident Evil. Anyone can do that.

Games like this really need to implement leaning. Who peeks around a corner with their entire body? Anyway, seems to be impressive work for one person but honestly I don't see anything noteworthy here.

The only horror game that's on my radar atm is Daylight. http://www.playdaylight.com/

"Pre"-Alpha? Yeah, that's not how release cycles work.

Not that is correct. That is the concept part of the project before you actually start to test any of the actual project. which in this cause would mean testing basic player movement and lighting effects inside of the engine. Nothing other than that.

stages are
pre-alpha
alpha
beta
release candidate
then release version

or at least that was the case, now I think shipping takes place around beta or RC and they just patch it as they go, some things I'm not sure really make it out of alpha. :/

Not that is correct. That is the concept part of the project before you actually start to test any of the actual project. which in this cause would mean testing basic player movement and lighting effects inside of the engine. Nothing other than that.

stages are
pre-alpha
alpha
beta
release candidate
then release version

or at least that was the case, now I think shipping takes place around beta or RC and they just patch it as they go, some things I'm not sure really make it out of alpha. :/
And I will give that a +1

Back