Activision: Destiny Will Be 'Best-Selling IP In History'

HardOCP News

[H] News
Although I am looking forward to Destiny as much as anyone else, I think this statement might be a bit presumptuous.

Activision is dreaming big for Bungie's Destiny, dubbing it the "next billion dollar franchise." Activision CEO Bobby Kotick echoed the projection, telling investors during today's earnings call that the publisher expects "Destiny will become the best-selling new video game IP in history." Destiny, an online, loot-heavy first-person shooter, is due on September 9. No pressure.

He said best selling "new" IP in history. While that's still presumptuous, it's not quite like saying it will be the best selling game in history.

Holy shit, 4% of people on earth have played Mario, and 0.285% of every human that have every lived has played Mario.

More than that if you account for the fact that copies sold doesn't account for how many people played those copies :)

Holy shit, 4% of people on earth have played Mario, and 0.285% of every human that have every lived has played Mario.

And that's only accounting for one person per copy, I'm sure friends and relatives have played the same copy. So probably more like 6 percent :eek:

There's an old saying: "Don't count your chickens before they're hatched."

You're only setting yourself up for failure with the already money grubbing investors.

doesn't matter how many people have played the series. The comment is that it would be the best selling IP in history, so how much money it has brought in is what matters.

Which Mario might be well up there given all the various games on all the various systems. That has to be the series with the most games in it including all the side games like Mario Party, Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros and the rest

He said best selling "new" IP in history. While that's still presumptuous, it's not quite like saying it will be the best selling game in history.

Right, how many copies did Super Mario Bros. sell, when it was a new IP, within the first week... he is probably going off of that kinda data and not overall sales of an entire IP to-date.

i watched the gameplay video, and its just meh to me. the environments were really tall, but the gameplay was all on the same plane, and almost never behind. seems to be just a prettier version of, there is something to shoot, shoot it, repeat.

console gameplay makes me sad. i never even saw one of the players turn around to check behind him.

Right, how many copies did Super Mario Bros. sell, when it was a new IP, within the first week... he is probably going off of that kinda data and not overall sales of an entire IP to-date.

Bad example. Super Mario Bros. was released to a tiny video game market at the time. Now, video games are in more households, some with multiple consoles. I'm sure some bad performing games these days outsell some of the major ones from NES days. Still, the point is there.

^^Exactly. Mario was released when video games was frowned upon. Mario saved us.

Bad example. Super Mario Bros. was released to a tiny video game market at the time. Now, video games are in more households, some with multiple consoles. I'm sure some bad performing games these days outsell some of the major ones from NES days. Still, the point is there.

Super Mario Bros for NES, you ready for this? 40.24 million copies sold.

I didn't think they sold that many NES systems.

The issue with that number is that you are looking at not just the NES release, but then Super Mario all-stars on the SNES and Super Mario Deluxe on the Gameboy color most likely.

Right and it's the 3 best selling single game of all time. Only Tetris and Wii Sports (A bundled game) has sold more. The big thing is the NES console only sold somewhere around 60 million consoles. That's a 2/3 attach rate.

Behind that is Minecraft which is multiple platform. Then behind that is another Mario game, Mario Kart Wii.

Finally we get to a different IP. Grand Theft Auto V. Sold 32.5 million copies across two platforms that have sold ~163 million combined. That's not even a 1/5 attach rate.

SMB = 10/15 attach rate
GTAV = 3/15 attach rate

The PS4 has sold what? 4.2 million consoles to date and Destiny is set to release sometime this year in the Spring? It's got a LONG road of being the best selling IP of all time.

In the top 34 best selling games (games, not IPs) Mario holds 8 of those spots. The next IP holds 5 spots and it's actually Pokemon. Then GTA with 3 spots.

Gonna take a lot to kick Mario off that crown.

Warcraft is easily the biggest gaming IP of all time.

Ten million people paying $15 a month, and buying expansions, for ten years.

If it winds up being Halo for every platform it just might become the next big IP.
I don't think its going to be the greatest IP of all time but it might be the fastest selling new IP to hit the market in history after Bungie's work on Halo.
I think a lot of it is going to revolve around having to pay to play online or not.

Ten million people paying $15 a month for 10 years is right around $18B in sales. The rest of Warcraft has 19 million sells. Not sure what Warcraft games go for, but lets assume $50. $950M in sales for the rest of Warcraft. Not sure how much the expansions or how many expansions WoW had, but I doubt it's had 10 million subscribers since the beginning. I believe it peaked at 12 million but now it's sitting below 8 million. Either way, it's a lot and has generated a ton of money. I think WoW has right at 100 million accounts. So only 119 million total users.

Mario... 463.87 million sales world wide for the Mario franchise. Average the cost of each game to $50? $23.1B in sales or so?

Pretty close.

How many in the first month? 6 months? Year?

Over the lifetime, it'd be hard to beat. Over the course of the first year even, probably pretty easy.

I don't think so.

This game is being released on the PS4. It doesn't even have 40 million consoles sold. They don't even have 40 million consoles TO sell. They wont have 40 million consoles in a year. No way will Destiny become the best selling new video game IP.

Maybe, maybe if it was a cross platform on the 360, XBO, PS3, PS4, Wii U and PC where it has the potential to sell multiple millions within' the first 6 months, year, whatever.

I've been trying to find data on how many copies some of the popular IPs have sold in the first few weeks of its release. Not as easy as it looks. The PS4 has right at 4 million consoles sold, not sure how many they'll have sold by the time Destiny comes out. Surely some new IP has sold more than 4 million in the first few weeks.

Well apparently Halo sold 1 million in it's first month. Seems to be the highest first month sales for the start of a new IP. If that's the case then I think Destiny does have a chance.

So, Destiny is coming to PC? . . . Nope.

Not interested. Don't care.

Not yet, that could change

If it winds up being Halo for every platform it just might become the next big IP.
I don't think its going to be the greatest IP of all time but it might be the fastest selling new IP to hit the market in history after Bungie's work on Halo.
I think a lot of it is going to revolve around having to pay to play online or not.

Well they already stated that there will not be any subscription fees for the game. Only cost to play would be for the consoles themselves with the exception of the PS3 which is the only one of the 4 that doesn't requires a monthly subscription to play online.

This. Too bad it wont be on anything other than the PS4.

What are you talking about? it is on the PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One. PS3 and 4 just get special content.

Oops, when I looked on the Beta page all I seen was the PS4. Thought it was only being released on the PS4 so I went to Google to search for a PC release and see it wasn't. That's what I get for assuming.

I see no reason why this IP can't top the best selling new IP in gaming history with enough hype behind it.

Next they will announce two new studios brought on so they can drop a new "Destiny" every year.

"Call of Destiny: Modern Battlefield"

Another shooter. Feel the innovation. The grind of WoW with the added annoyance of 12 year olds and dudebro douchetards calling everyone "fag." Woooohoooooo.

Is that counting only sales of the actual cartridge by itself, or including the bundling with the NES? Because I remember SMB being bundled with the NES for a while, and then Mike Tyson's Punch-out was bundled with it.

Next they will announce two new studios brought on so they can drop a new "Destiny" every year.

"Call of Destiny: Modern Battlefield"

Another shooter. Feel the innovation. The grind of WoW with the added annoyance of 12 year olds and dudebro douchetards calling everyone "fag." Woooohoooooo.

well, we are talking about an MMORPG, one without a monthly fee so I would expect an expansion pack every 1.5 to 2 years for them to keep getting money from people.

nah, they will prolly go the micro transaction route like other non sub mmo games. Not like it matters to me. I have a PS3, only played a tiny handful of exclusive games on it, and it collected dust the rest of the time. Not going to bother with the the PS4.

nah, they will prolly go the micro transaction route like other non sub mmo games. Not like it matters to me. I have a PS3, only played a tiny handful of exclusive games on it, and it collected dust the rest of the time. Not going to bother with the the PS4.

The game is going to be on the PS3 as well. I too thought it was only a PS4 title, but it's actually a 360, XBO, PS3 and PS4 title.

Ten million people paying $15 a month for 10 years is right around $18B in sales. The rest of Warcraft has 19 million sells. Not sure what Warcraft games go for, but lets assume $50. $950M in sales for the rest of Warcraft. Not sure how much the expansions or how many expansions WoW had, but I doubt it's had 10 million subscribers since the beginning. I believe it peaked at 12 million but now it's sitting below 8 million. Either way, it's a lot and has generated a ton of money. I think WoW has right at 100 million accounts. So only 119 million total users.

Mario... 463.87 million sales world wide for the Mario franchise. Average the cost of each game to $50? $23.1B in sales or so?

Pretty close.

The bundled games were not getting anything close to $50, and I'll guess that most of the sales were with systems.

I don't think Nintendo bundled Mario games in that many system sells.

Back