Poll: Do You Still Use A Desktop PC?

HardOCP News

[H] News
I think the results of this poll so far ("are desktops going the way of the dinosaur?") are rather comical considering over 80% of the people that responded regularly use a desktop PC. Yes, I voted. :D

Sometimes it seems the death knell of the desktop computer has been getting louder and louder for years, yet the devices still hang around. They just won't be hanging around Sony any longer. The electronics giant announced that it's unloading the PC part of its business.

Yes, I have 2 desktop PCs (gaming PC and HTPC, both running Windows 7). I have no laptops (other than my work one) or tablets. I must be a dinosaur.

i was surprised by the 83%. i would have guessed it would be lower.

new poll: Excluding work, do you use a desktop?

That article is weird. He says the only reason he keeps his desktop at work is because of multi monitors... Does he not know you can use multi monitors on a laptop? Also any good business class laptop should have a docking station, which makes that sort of usage a lot easier. I have a laptop for work, and my big desktop at home.

I use a desktop both for work and at home for gaming. If you need to get actual work done, a desktop is still the way to go.

That article is weird. He says the only reason he keeps his desktop at work is because of multi monitors... Does he not know you can use multi monitors on a laptop? Also any good business class laptop should have a docking station, which makes that sort of usage a lot easier. I have a laptop for work, and my big desktop at home.

It is a C|Net article...what do you expect, intelligence?

At work I use a laptop, connected to a docking station. at home its all about the Desktop!

We have 3 desktops and a laptop at home.

Death of desktops is highly overrated, maybe just an excuse to hype a new niche imho, kinda like fashion I suppose.

These alarmist articles about the PC dying and being replaced by tablets and smartphones is a bunch of nonsense. Maybe that's true of home users like the elderly and children, who never had much use for computers in the first place. But for working people who need to get actual shit done, PCs aren't going anywhere. Try using excel on a damn tablet. Not happening.

On my 3rd desktop addition within the last year. I might use my mobile devices for convenience such as being on the throne but for the full experience nothing beats a desktop or a gaming laptop but cost prohibitive. Offer a nice balance of features, versatility and price and people will buy. They're wrong about PC and also AMD.

Maybe it indicates more the audience of CNET ... as flawed as their info might be, they are still more likely to attract the PC professionals (if for no other reason than to ridicule them) ... a quiz like this on more of a Joe Sixpack site (Fox News, Entertainment Weekly, USA today, etc) might garner a much different result ... that said I have a laptop (work) and a desktop (home, gaming) ... I do not own a console but I do own a tablet (which I use primarily when I am watching TV or traveling)

Yes, I have 2 desktop PCs (gaming PC and HTPC, both running Windows 7). I have no laptops (other than my work one) or tablets. I must be a dinosaur.
You too?! Glad to see I'm not the only dino around here. I don't even own a smart phone. Why bother when I'm in front of a 27" monitor most of the time? It's just too hard to go small after staring at that thing. I'm home most of the time, so not real need for a smartphone.

Yes. As a person who does some gaming, a desktop is a must. Not only that but there's something to be said about a desktop computer in which you can stock it full of a large capacity hard drives and have virtual unlimited storage space that you, the user, have full control over versus some kind of cloud hosted solution in which you have no idea what they do with your data.

Also, there's something to be said about building your own computer out of components (power supply, motherboard, CPU, RAM, SSD, etc.). I have a fully custom-built rig here on my desk at home and I wouldn't want it any other way.

Laptop only here. Razer Blade 14" gets the job done at home and on the road.

I had to have a gaming capable laptop and it didn't make sense to spend the cash to keep two machines up to spec when one could do both jobs.

So now the money I save on the desktop ensures I can buy what I want for a laptop.

To answer this, I use several.

One at work.
Several at home including my gaming rig.
Then I have a different gaming rig I have at my buddy's place (got tired of lugging one for LANs so I keep it there permanently)

also have one at my parent's place.

As for storage space, some of you guys act like you never heard the term NAS :D

I used to have a laptop but sold it since I never really used it, got 2 desktop pc's and a tablet atm

c|net huh? what a mess of scripts, couldn't find which one to allow so I could vote...lol

I moved away from a gaming desktop to a gaming laptop about a year and a half ago. There were a couple reasons for this move: a) I have limited space in my Manhattan aparment, every sq/ft counts b) GPU power has far exceeded graphical complexity in games due to the console drag c) gaming laptops have become much easier to modify/upgrade with more options in the past few years

That said, nothing beats the raw power you can get and price/performence benefit of a desktop PC.

I like to click on things and have them work every time. The thing I've found with touch devices, is that they are not as responsive as your trusty keyboard and mouse. I hate fat fingering everything on my tablet. Reloading a page 5 times trying to get the link I wanted, on top of the page not loading nearly as fast. Things like flash issues, and other browsing incompatibilities. You will have to pry my keyboard and mouse from my cold dead hands.

Maybe it indicates more the audience of CNET ... as flawed as their info might be, they are still more likely to attract the PC professionals (if for no other reason than to ridicule them) ... a quiz like this on more of a Joe Sixpack site (Fox News, Entertainment Weekly, USA today, etc) might garner a much different result ... that said I have a laptop (work) and a desktop (home, gaming) ... I do not own a console but I do own a tablet (which I use primarily when I am watching TV or traveling)

Ask people that watch The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills and most would have answered iPhone or Tablet.

Those journalists who write these articles and the "analysts" who do these stupid "studies" predicting the future are on-the-go type of people biased against real computers. I don't blame them too hard but that doesn't make them less wrong.

I use both a laptop and a desktop. I use tablets and phones as well, but I doubt they will replace the expandability or sheer power of a true desktop anytime soon.

I know lots of people who own tablets and PCs, for instance my wife.

If she didn't have a tablet she wouldn't have anywhere to put her coffee while she uses her PC.

The poll I would love to see is "If you own a tablet, do you use it daily or did you just buy it because it was the thing to have and it seemed like such a good idea until you tried to use it to actually get something done that you needed to do?"

So far only 10% report not using a "desktop," and that number includes laptops in addition to phones and tablets.

I am not surprised at all. I haven't believed this "Post PC" idea to start with. PC sales are down mostly because they don't need to be upgraded as often as they used to. We are firmly in a "PC Plus Era."

Tablets and phones are great and useful devices, but they are often not the right tool for the job.

We can watch TV, Stream Movies and listen to music on smart phones, yet no one claims TV's or Stereos are dead. Why do people make these claims about Desktops just because I can surf and email on my phone or tablet?

Another "PC's are dead" article huh? Yeah I remember reading my first one of those way back in 1983. Fond memories. That's what, 30 fucking years of hearing that PC's are on their way out? I guess eventually they'll be right. Maybe when they finally invent a holodeck.

i was surprised by the 83%. i would have guessed it would be lower.

new poll: Excluding work, do you use a desktop?
I think this would have made a more valid poll. Most places still have desktops for employee use so of course people would vote for that. I realize the desktops would probably still be in the lead but not by such a high percentage.

Back