Senator Raises Concerns About Facial Recognition App

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like the Chairman of the Senate Subcommittee on Privacy, Technology and the Law isn't too thrilled with this facial recognition app.

Today, U.S. Sen. Al Franken (D-Minn.), Chairman of the Senate Subcommittee on Privacy, Technology and the Law, said he has serious privacy concerns about a new app called NameTag, which lets strangers get personal information-including a person's name, photos, and dating website profiles-simply by looking at a person with a Google Glass device. This app would work on "jailbroken" Glass devices that have been modified to override Google's ban on facial recognition apps for Glass.

I'm all for this app. It will make people think twice before posting all their personal information and pictures to the internet (i.e. Facebook). An app for Google Glass is not the only app that mine this kind of information.

I am still trying to wrap my head around a comedian becoming chairman of the Senate Subcommittee on Privacy, Technology and the Law.
What does he know about any of those? probably nothing.

Since just about everyone has cell phones, and whenever there's an "incident" (regardless of what it is) most people's first reaction is to record it/picture it rather than calling the police/fire/etc do we really have any privacy anymore?

I am still trying to wrap my head around a comedian becoming chairman of the Senate Subcommittee on Privacy, Technology and the Law.

No less qualified than any politician I'd say.

What did an actor know about being President? Or Governor of California (well, that was a bad example. ;))? There are some politicians that were really just normal people. Wait.... There are people bitching about career politicians and we need average, run of the mill people in office, but when they make it, people complain. Politics. No one can ever win in the public's eye.

As far as the OP... Good and bad. It depends on where they pull the information from. I can go online and stalk people, but it may not be as instant as Google Glass app (and I'd have to browse pics until I found the right person). But, the capability is still there for me to find information that they've publicly shared. It's the whole 'face recognition' thing that gets me. What if I resemble some wanted fugitive or child perv? How accurate is the recognition? I'd hate to have it say someone is some crazy POS, and in reality they are a tender hearted Kindergarten teacher.

Back