MSI Refreshes GX Destroyer Series

HardOCP News

[H] News
MSI Computer Corp, a leading manufacturer of computer hardware products and solutions, announces the availability of the new GX Destroyer Series featuring AMD A10 processor, AMD Radeon R9-M290X graphics and a variety of gaming features designed to deliver optimal performance.

MSI’s GX Destroyer Series possesses the perfect combination of multimedia capability and gaming performance. Armed with AMD’s state-of-the-art mobile processor, both GX70 and GX60 Destroyers come with AMD’s latest GPU and its proprietary Mantle Graphics technology, which improves gaming performance, ensures higher resolutions and smoother gameplay and allows developers to utilize the GPU more efficiently to create a more immersive gaming experience.

An M290x mixed with an A10? Someone's banking big time on Mantle.

Nah, they did this with the last gen hardware too. Surprise! It was a bad idea.

To be clear, the "new" R9-M290x IS the 8970m, which is in turn, the same as the 7970m, with a slight speed bump. Rebranding at its finest of a 2 year-old GPU.

Since I don't see any note on the A10 CPU (the GX60/70's achillies heel) being updated in this "refresh" in any of the specs, I can only assume the only difference is the relabled GPU.

To make it short and to the point, get an older GX60, overclock the 7970m a little bit and ...voila... you have this new model.

Edit: in response to Quix's question, the A10 CPU is in many circumstances woefully underpowered for the Pitcairn chip (let's just call this 2-time relabled GPU what it is). In games that need even a monikum of CPU load, the A10 will drag down the FPS (and frame pacing) and be a bottleneck. Check out any review of the older GX60/70s for more details. In my own experience with a GX60, you're better off getting an i7 laptop with a 765m for more stable performance (and likely a lower price tag).

Last edited:
You will want to wait for the CPU refresh really.

Back